Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2016, 07:52 AM

Default Lund fishing boats

Look for opinions good or bad or even compairisons.
Im looking at an2012 lund 186 fiberglass with a 175 verodo on it. I was disapointed it wasnt 200 hp but in 2012 175 was max rated. And can realy find any shops that can or will flash or change the computer to get more horses.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:30 PM

Send your ECM down to Simon Motorsports in California. About 800ish US and should give you 225-230hp
Old 07-22-2016, 06:40 PM

I have owned many boats over the years, both glass and tin, large and small.

I assume the model you are refering to is the Tyee 186GL. A 175 HP will provide plenty of power for you. I have a 1800 Tyee with a 150 Honda and it planes in less than 3 seconds and comfortably cruises between 43-55 mph (depending on which prop I'm running). It also tows skiers, knee boards and tubes without any issues.

The glass boat is heavier, but the glass hull is more efficient and the extra 25 horses makes up for the difference (see specs on Lund site).

I don't think you need to even consider to repower (or modify) this boat's outboard - the added cost would give you a very small and incremental change (or improvement) to your performance.

Lund is a premium quality boat and the company clearly stands behind their product.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:09 AM

Yes it is the 186 tyee gl fisherman to be exact. So another question to add is what props are you's running , and does any one have the 175 verodo with speed prob. What is top speed your getting. I do know about the merc prop selector but like to know from a more direct source. Thanks for the input so far. Keep it coming
Old 07-23-2016, 07:23 PM

I currently run a very low 17 pitch - so the top speed is only around 44 mph - but the original prop was a higher pitch (maybe a 23 or 25) if I recall correctly and it ran well into the 50+ mph. I don't recall exactly, but I thought a little better than the mid 50's.

The boat/outboard is rated for a prop at 19 to 27 pitch. The motor is a 150 Honda.

The very low pitch allows me to use the big outboard to troll slow ( 2.5-2.6 mph) on big water with complete control. It also jumps the boat onto plane instantly, and pulls with amazing torque. The trade off is, of course, top end speed - which isn't something that worries me.

If I can load a boat up with gear, 3 big fat guys, a full tank of gas and ll my batteries, electronics and other stuff and jump on plane and cruise across a lake at 40+ mph ..... that's plenty fast enough for me anyways.

I was talking to a guy who had the identical boat as mine at a lake last year, but with a 150 verado, just BSing about motors, as we were floating around side by side waiting for our buddies to get the trucks in line and wait their turns to load up at the busy launch.

So we got to talking about motors and what we like about ours, etc,etc... and decided to test them out to see how much prop pitch matters "in real life".

He had a 150 verado with a 23 pitch.

So we decide to circle out and have a drag race from dead stop to top speed to see what the difference was.

My boat clearly jumped up faster, took off faster, and accelerated quicker leaving him behind as he was just jumping onto plane. He did not begin to close the distance until I was well into 30 mph but after about 40 he passed me and kept pulling away as I topped out at around 45 mph. When we spun around and were putting back to shore laughing and talking - he said he topped off at 55 mph.

I think he was surprised how quick mine got out of the blocks and I was surprised that the verado with the 23 pitch just kept accelerating. He definitely passed me at just about a second or so before I hit top speed - so I'm sure the supercharged Verado has plenty of power and is a nice engine. having said that - I still prefer my Honda. All the Honda's I've owned have one thing in common - pull the rope or turn the key and they start. They are bullet proof.

Nevertheless - It's up to you on what you are after. If top speed is your desire - go with a high pitch prop. Also experiment with trimming up your motor to the "sweet spot" - which adds another 4-5 mph to your top speed.

The problem with speed props is you are trading off everything (hole shot, acceleration, torque, towing, control, low speed trolling, etc...) for top end speed.

It's all up to what you want and what's important to you. Good Luck - enjoy your boat - sounds like a really nice boat.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I currently run a very low 17 pitch - so the top speed is only around 44 mph - but the original prop was a higher pitch (maybe a 23 or 25) if I recall correctly and it ran well into the 50+ mph. I don't recall exactly, but I thought a little better than the mid 50's.

The boat/outboard is rated for a prop at 19 to 27 pitch. The motor is a 150 Honda.

The very low pitch allows me to use the big outboard to troll slow ( 2.5-2.6 mph) on big water with complete control. It also jumps the boat onto plane instantly, and pulls with amazing torque. The trade off is, of course, top end speed - which isn't something that worries me.

If I can load a boat up with gear, 3 big fat guys, a full tank of gas and ll my batteries, electronics and other stuff and jump on plane and cruise across a lake at 40+ mph ..... that's plenty fast enough for me anyways.

I was talking to a guy who had the identical boat as mine at a lake last year, but with a 150 verado, just BSing about motors, as we were floating around side by side waiting for our buddies to get the trucks in line and wait their turns to load up at the busy launch.

So we got to talking about motors and what we like about ours, etc,etc... and decided to test them out to see how much prop pitch matters "in real life".

He had a 150 verado with a 23 pitch.

So we decide to circle out and have a drag race from dead stop to top speed to see what the difference was.

My boat clearly jumped up faster, took off faster, and accelerated quicker leaving him behind as he was just jumping onto plane. He did not begin to close the distance until I was well into 30 mph but after about 40 he passed me and kept pulling away as I topped out at around 45 mph. When we spun around and were putting back to shore laughing and talking - he said he topped off at 55 mph.

I think he was surprised how quick mine got out of the blocks and I was surprised that the verado with the 23 pitch just kept accelerating. He definitely passed me at just about a second or so before I hit top speed - so I'm sure the supercharged Verado has plenty of power and is a nice engine. having said that - I still prefer my Honda. All the Honda's I've owned have one thing in common - pull the rope or turn the key and they start. They are bullet proof.

Nevertheless - It's up to you on what you are after. If top speed is your desire - go with a high pitch prop. Also experiment with trimming up your motor to the "sweet spot" - which adds another 4-5 mph to your top speed.

The problem with speed props is you are trading off everything (hole shot, acceleration, torque, towing, control, low speed trolling, etc...) for top end speed.

It's all up to what you want and what's important to you. Good Luck - enjoy your boat - sounds like a really nice boat.

EZM thanks for info and hopefully u can answer my next question... my 90 Merc on new Lund Rebel has the Spitfire prop and when trying to troll with it( heavy winds and chop) I cant get any slower than 4-4.4 kph. So if I get a higher pitch prop for these kind of days I would see a significant drop in my kph?
Old 07-24-2016, 01:42 PM

Default Thinking of changing from my Alumacraft V14 to a Lund SSV 16

I really like my Alumacraft V14(68" draft, 31" deep V) but I am thinking of changing to a Lund SSV 16 for a bit more room, I also assume it will be better for bigger lakes. If anyone owns a newer one, I would be interested to hear how they like it.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERICARDO View Post
EZM thanks for info and hopefully u can answer my next question... my 90 Merc on new Lund Rebel has the Spitfire prop and when trying to troll with it( heavy winds and chop) I cant get any slower than 4-4.4 kph. So if I get a higher pitch prop for these kind of days I would see a significant drop in my kph?
You will want a lower pitched prop (a lower number) to get a lower trolling speed.

In terms of performance - it really depends on where your prop falls into the specified range - but at 4 km/kr you are in pretty decent shape. If you have enough choices that are, say, 6 or 8 degrees in pitch less, you will definitely drop down another 1/2 km per hour but at some point, you can't get much slower.

It's hard to give you any exact numbers without knowing more info - but, in the end, experimentation and real life is the best measure of where you will end up.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
I really like my Alumacraft V14(68" draft, 31" deep V) but I am thinking of changing to a Lund SSV 16 for a bit more room, I also assume it will be better for bigger lakes. If anyone owns a newer one, I would be interested to hear how they like it.

Picked up a ssv 16 this spring. check out this thread on it....... bunch of pics and youtube videos on the boat. Also just added a 6' bimini to it. Going to upload a new video in a couple days.

I live on the Shu and have 30 plus days on the water with it so far and have also been on Slocan, Arrow, and Kootenay lake with it.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=291057

if you have any questions send me a pm......
Old 08-05-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ZL1 View Post
Send your ECM down to Simon Motorsports in California. About 800ish US and should give you 225-230hp

A week and a half ago I was doing some digging (for the billionth time in 10years) into the difference between my Optimax 90 and the 115 (same block)..That's when I read your post.
Did a ton of research and I sent off my ecu on Wednesday. Today it's on its way back 25-30 horses peppier (hopefully).
I'll post up a review when I get her back in the water.
Thank you