Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2016, 08:56 PM

Default Bushcraft

Just wondering if there are any others into the lost art of bushcraft?
Old 03-03-2016, 03:29 AM
Banned

I'm in to bush craft but it's been a while since I've actually got creative enough to build something. These days I usually pick something up in the bush out camping and sculpt one thing or another. I think I might dig my wood tools out one of these days and start on a piece of Western red cedar I've had for a while. I always come up with something really cool and unique and I think this chunk of cedar has a destiny that will be passed down for generations.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Banned

I think he meant how to build a shelter and a fire in the rain. And it`s not a lost art.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:52 AM
AO Sponsor

I just made a bushcraft style knife for a buddy who is into that...

Old 03-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Banned

Bushcraft nature nut...
Old 03-03-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
I think he meant how to build a shelter and a fire in the rain. And it`s not a lost art.
No that wasn't my intention. I have come to realize there is more to bushcraft than just building a shelter and starting a fire.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:47 AM

Nice work tirebob. Im building a knife for myself as well, although it won't look as good as that. What steel did you use?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I just made a bushcraft style knife for a buddy who is into that...

That's a VERY nice knife. Good job. What type of steel and grind?

Now concerning "bushcraft", I guess it depends on how you define it. How would you compare it to the interests or skills of a survivalist, or a homesteader, or a prepper?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
That's a VERY nice knife. Good job. What type of steel and grind?

Now concerning "bushcraft", I guess it depends on how you define it. How would you compare it to the interests or skills of a survivalist, or a homesteader, or a prepper?
I would classify it as a combination of all of them I guess.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:06 PM
AO Sponsor

Thanks gents! I am just getting into knifemaking myself. That is my 6th knife ever...

The steel is 1084 high carbon steel and is 5/32nd's thick at the spine and overall length is 9 inches. He wanted it to be more of an all purpose use leaning towards being a chopper so I went a little thicker. This was my first attempt at a Scandi grind. Again, I went this route to keep the edge more durable under stress rather than be more of a finesse type blade such as a skinning knife. I hardened the blade by heating to non-magnetic and quenched in 130 degree canola oil and then did 2 - 2 hour tempers at 450 degrees. I don't have a hardness tester but from research I figure this do give approximately a 56 to 58 hardness on the rockwell scale.

The scales are cocobolo, which I chose as it is a very tough, durable and oily wood so it will stand up well to the elements.

I am really loving this knifemaking hobby!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:59 PM

absolutely beautiful knife, neighbour!

Where's mine??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Thanks gents! I am just getting into knifemaking myself. That is my 6th knife ever...

The steel is 1084 high carbon steel and is 5/32nd's thick at the spine and overall length is 9 inches. He wanted it to be more of an all purpose use leaning towards being a chopper so I went a little thicker. This was my first attempt at a Scandi grind. Again, I went this route to keep the edge more durable under stress rather than be more of a finesse type blade such as a skinning knife. I hardened the blade by heating to non-magnetic and quenched in 130 degree canola oil and then did 2 - 2 hour tempers at 450 degrees. I don't have a hardness tester but from research I figure this do give approximately a 56 to 58 hardness on the rockwell scale.

The scales are cocobolo, which I chose as it is a very tough, durable and oily wood so it will stand up well to the elements.

I am really loving this knifemaking hobby!
Old 03-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Banned

Nice knife ! I use the syderco bushcraft
Old 03-03-2016, 02:40 PM

Sorry for the derail but that's a great looking knife,Tirebob.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-04-2016, 08:52 PM

I am sure there still are some people that go to the land and were taught by the generations before them in the art of bushcraft.

I used to practice 4 season 'bushcraft' in a minimalist kind of way. I tried not to leave my mark behind. I still like harvesting the wild foods but haven't made 'camp' in a long time. There is nothing more rewarding than traveling light and making do with what nature gives you to work with. A true unencumbered free spirit kind of feeling.

Presently, for a hobby I am learning the art of flintknapping and hope to perfect a few arrows & sinew backed bow. Not that I will use them, I just like making stuff. A nice stone tipped lance would be nice to make too. Flinknapping is actually easier than I thought it would be.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 03-04-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:14 PM

if everyone practiced it there would not be many spruce boughs left. it actually can be quite distructive to the environment. I think using a tarp is fine though.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:27 PM
Banned

Here's a good Saturday afternoon read. Northern bushcraft PDFs

http://www.echocompany.eu/wp-content...-Bushcraft.pdf
Old 03-05-2016, 01:59 PM

Default I love traditional skills in the bush

I love learning traditional skills in the bush.
Bushcraft.

-Utilizing the different plant fibers for cordage,
-Making the dozen or so glues in the boreal forest
-Bark crafts
-Natural dyes
-Stone paints
-Wild medicines and how to prep them
-Wild flour
-Food preservation
-Hide preperation
Pretty much it encompasses how to use anything that may come from the forest that a man may need to use while living and thriving in it.

Bushcraft here is basically our Aboriginal knowledge that was shared with you, and was utilized throughout the fur trade, it is dying, but not lost.

I love to practice traditional bush skills like that, I hope to make a birch bark canoe one day.

If anyone near Edmonton wants to go into the bush one day, message me, I don't have too many outdoor loving friends here in Alberta, seeing how I am from Ontario.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:17 PM

Really like the look of that knife tirebob, it reminds me of that Dozier bush craft blade that is advertised in "The Backwoodsman" magazine. You knife looks purpose built and reliable and the work looks first class. Thank you for showing us the picture. D.H.