Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2016, 07:52 AM
Banned

Default Question about Resume delivery

What do you all think, with all the companies out there like linked-in and Indeed that you can electronically submit a resume through, or even if you go to the companies own web site and submit there. Do you think the hiring company gives those the same consideration that they do for a hard copy that was dropped off at the office or is it considered just an annoyance to deal with resumes submitted to the office in person.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:55 AM

Most job postings will say whether they want drop-ins or not.

Either it's the preferred method, or I'm just really lucky, but all my construction jobs (sheet metal) have been obtained through online application.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:10 AM

I have reception instructed to not to accept paper copies.
It's too easy to lose them or they are a better fit for a different department or area.
I find it much better to he them submitted on our website. HR draws them from that folder as job postings come up.
Even at that when a job is posted it's much more efficient to review electronically the 100+ resumes to get down to the 10 or 12 that have the necessary qualifications.
Probably best to check with each company and see which way they prefer it.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:04 AM

Default Electronic

Larger companies have software that scan resumes for key words etc to help sift through the large number of submittals.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:16 AM

Depends on your field. In engineering most companies don't want you to show up in person or even call company, they want you to do everything online these days...

I was chatting with some HR folks at a career fair and was surprised to learn that a bunch of the bigger companies do most of their hiring through submitted resumes. They scan the resumes in their system before even posting a position and if there is someone that matches they call them up and see if still looking for work. So if you have a variety of companies you want to work for submit your resume cause it can definitely help.

Some smaller or more old school places still like resumes dropped off by hand but lots now tell you to check online or submit it online instead so I kind of gave up trying to show up in person. Sort of annoying because it is much more difficult to make your mark in just a resume/cover letter that will probably only be looked at for a matter of seconds...
Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Depends on your field. In engineering most companies don't want you to show up in person or even call company, they want you to do everything online these days...

I was chatting with some HR folks at a career fair and was surprised to learn that a bunch of the bigger companies do most of their hiring through submitted resumes. They scan the resumes in their system before even posting a position and if there is someone that matches they call them up and see if still looking for work. So if you have a variety of companies you want to work for submit your resume cause it can definitely help.

Some smaller or more old school places still like resumes dropped off by hand but lots now tell you to check online or submit it online instead so I kind of gave up trying to show up in person. Sort of annoying because it is much more difficult to make your mark in just a resume/cover letter that will probably only be looked at for a matter of seconds...
And in a lot of cases are not looked at, at all. Very common for services to use software that parses electronically submitted resume / covers, to identify and database keywords, which can then be easily searched. Moral of the story, pump up those keywords. Much like search optimizing in Google.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:35 AM

Drop off the resume in person and do it first thing in the morning, preferably right when they open. They see it as your willingness to want to work and shows your a responsible adult
Old 02-29-2016, 10:43 AM

I have always dropped off a resume in person. If they decline the resume at least somebody has seen your face. Even if it was only the secretary.

We submitting online I will always do a follow up visit 3 to 5 days later.
It usually starts with can I speak to someone in HR about my resume and positions being offered. I always have a paper copy with me. 9 times out of 10 either HR or the a manager comes out to speak with me.
Sometimes they say to submit it online. Or ask for my paper copy. But at least they have seen my face and know I am interested.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
I have always dropped off a resume in person. If they decline the resume at least somebody has seen your face. Even if it was only the secretary.

We submitting online I will always do a follow up visit 3 to 5 days later.
It usually starts with can I speak to someone in HR about my resume and positions being offered. I always have a paper copy with me. 9 times out of 10 either HR or the a manager comes out to speak with me.
Sometimes they say to submit it online. Or ask for my paper copy. But at least they have seen my face and know I am interested.
Best way to do it, with my company we don't even look at resumes handed in the afternoon
Old 02-29-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Pounderhard View Post
Best way to do it, with my company we don't even look at resumes handed in the afternoon
with some of the best talent out looking for work, that practice is a failure.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
with some of the best talent out looking for work, that practice is a failure.
You comb through 300+ resumes a day. There is a reason only the first few sentences of your resume actually gets read the majority of the time.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
And in a lot of cases are not looked at, at all. Very common for services to use software that parses electronically submitted resume / covers, to identify and database keywords, which can then be easily searched. Moral of the story, pump up those keywords. Much like search optimizing in Google.
YUP! If they mention key skills or experience, make sure you get those exact words in your cover letter and resume... repeatedly.

As to how to deliver generally? They usually tell you in the advert. Do what they ask.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:44 PM

I suppose things have changed, but the resume's that always threw on the "prospects" pile were the ones that were delivered in person, and had a picture stapled to the front. My recommendation to anyone looking for a "people job" is to call, ask if it is OK to drop your res off...assure them you only want two minutes of time.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I suppose things have changed, .... and had a picture stapled to the front. .
Indeed they have changed. Pictures have gone the way of the dodo. Legal would be on warpath if we ever asked any such thing. Saw an update on new recruiting practices on the news, such as "blind" resume review and interviewing.

Resumes come from HR without names, so you don't know if the person is a man or woman, and whether their name is Martin or Mustapha.

Interviews done without seeing the person. Could be on phone or behind a blind, again, so prejudice doesn't creep in. Now of course you could still pick up accent, but...
Old 02-29-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Drop off the resume in person and do it first thing in the morning, preferably right when they open. They see it as your willingness to want to work and shows your a responsible adult
Reception is likely the only person to see them and they are not involved in the recruiting process.
The people that are, won't see anyone without an appointment, especially at the start of a work day.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Gotta agree with you poundher. Just have to add that I was taught to do it on a Monday. Tuesday at the latest.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Indeed they have changed. Pictures have gone the way of the dodo. Legal would be on warpath if we ever asked any such thing. Saw an update on new recruiting practices on the news, such as "blind" resume review and interviewing.

Resumes come from HR without names, so you don't know if the person is a man or woman, and whether their name is Martin or Mustapha.

Interviews done without seeing the person. Could be on phone or behind a blind, again, so prejudice doesn't creep in. Now of course you could still pick up accent, but...
I doubt the latest hiring fad will catch on soon. An important factor in scoring an interview is too get noticed ... so it is incumbent on the prospect to make that happen. No one is going to ask for a pic, but nothing stopping an applicant from including one. Another strategy is to do a bit of research regarding who is making the short list decisions and play to that. Pretty good chance the 62 year old behind the desk will look at the pic on the app and not search you out on Facebook
Old 02-29-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I doubt the latest hiring fad will catch on soon. An important factor in scoring an interview is too get noticed ... so it is incumbent on the prospect to make that happen. No one is going to ask for a pic, but nothing stopping an applicant from including one. Another strategy is to do a bit of research regarding who is making the short list decisions and play to that. Pretty good chance the 62 year old behind the desk will look at the pic on the app and not search you out on Facebook
The federal govt is implementing the blind resume process right now.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:15 PM

Good for them, but I doubt it will impact much on most employers in Canada.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
The federal govt is implementing the blind resume process right now.
Is that how we got the parliamentary and legislative ministers that we got. Lie on a resume and get hired. That's just effing perfect.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Gotta agree with you poundher. Just have to add that I was taught to do it on a Monday. Tuesday at the latest.
Only can apply on 2 jobs a week that way...
Old 03-01-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Only can apply on 2 jobs a week that way...
This is the first time I've had to apply for more.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Is that how we got the parliamentary and legislative ministers that we got. Lie on a resume and get hired. That's just effing perfect.
It's all starting to make sense. Blind. Deaf. Dumb. Interview.
And we got nutley.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:11 AM

Electronic vs paper.

We advertise electronically and accept electronic resume's. Makes absolutely no difference during the shortlisting. It is the quality of the resume that will gt someone to the interview.

A cover letter tailored to our add will get a bit more attention. Highlight your skills that we are looking for.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Pretty good chance the 62 year old behind the desk will look at the pic on the app and not search you out on Facebook
Don't count on it. It's rarely company policy in Canada. but plenty of hiring managers are checking facebook to make sure potential employees aren't idiots, drunks, drug addicts, racists. You would be surprised what people leave open on their page while when looking for jobs. Some employers in the States have asked for passwords to check.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140...ebook-password
Old 03-01-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Ministers are appointed, after they are elected...they don't apply with a resume. They may use a resume in the beginning to get the nomination to run from their party... is that what you meant?

I believe the blind interview process is being used to hire people for the public sector/bureaucracy with the fed.government. Blind interviews make sense for a lot of jobs. A great example is how auditions for orchestra's are being held with a blind screen between the judges and the applicant. They only care about how well they play their instrument and the sound quality. It's irrelevant what they look like. Of course, this type of interview may not be suitable for all types of jobs, but you get the idea.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:01 PM

I always find it funny when people say they won't look at a resume for this or that reason.
I also know that many highly skilled workers are overlooked do to these practices.
If it's your company and your hiring then it is your choice.
That janitor may have been a Rocket Engineer applying for your position. But you never knew because he handed in his resume in person and you discarded it.

As a person who looks for a job. Many times I have walked into a front office to see it in a state of madness, disorganized and then listen to how people talk to each other. On more then one occasion I have asked for my resume back and walked out the front door. The secretary shocked. If you hear the manager, hr,etc talking and being ingnorant to their workers it may not be the place to be.

At this time at our work pace company's can be extremely choosy.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:18 PM

I send out about 10-15 resumes every day or two. Job locations are anywhere from Sherwood Park to Acheson, with Nisku and downtown in between. I simply don't have time and money to drive around town all day dropping off resumes. I would think that the HR manager would put a quick stop to drop-ins if he/she has to run out every 20 minutes to talk to people.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:03 PM

The one thing I do know is that in the twenty some years of my working life,I've never been out of work unless I wanted to be. This year seems different.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Reception is likely the only person to see them and they are not involved in the recruiting process.
The people that are, won't see anyone without an appointment, especially at the start of a work day.
Reception is told to scrap it by management. Like that a few companies actually, more than a guy would think