Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Check Again, FishAlong (and others) ... This thread is NOT about Elizabeth Windsor, or her passing ❗❗

This thread is about the 'Institution' of the monarchy and it's waning relevance ... not only here in Canada, but in the Commonwealth as a whole, and now even in Britain.

Besides, even the Diehard Dinosaur Monarchists know, the present state of the monarchy ain't gonna work to well, anyway . . .

My Two Nickels,

Selkirk
Nobody would be talking about abolishing the British Monarchy if she hadn't died...

Food for thought.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:48 PM

All this anti-monarchy talk borders on treachery and treason. There's lots of room in the Tower!
Old 09-26-2022, 10:00 PM

^ Lol.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:06 PM

Slavery was a way of life for hundreds of years, and it was abolished, and the same should happen to the monarchy. Just like with slavery, nobody should be better than anyone else, just because of who their parents are.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:08 PM

"If we are free we are not equal. If we are equal we are not free."
Old 09-26-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Nobody would be talking about abolishing the British Monarchy if she hadn't died...

Food for thought.
Lots of things change though. Italy elected their first ever female PM. Much respect to QE11, but UK influence on Canada lessens as the years pass.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-26-2022, 10:20 PM

Lots of things I'd rather get rid of before the Monarch, membership to the UN, Justin Trudeau, our ridiculous firearm laws, income taxes, etc. It's a long list.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Lots of things change though. Italy elected their first ever female PM. Much respect to QE11, but UK influence on Canada lessens as the years pass.
As the American influence increases. Not a change for the better IMO.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:41 AM

Complain all you like but there is probably a better chance of Quebec and Alberta separating from Canada than there is of us getting rid of the Monarchy .
Old 09-27-2022, 08:57 AM

It has no real bearing on our day to day lives in a negative way. Gov't wastes money on everything anyhow. They are tearing down statues and burning churches, so maybe keeping a key part of our history isn't such a bad thing. I'm not a fan of Charles, but I think the Prince and Princess will be wonderful when it's their time. Leave the monarchy as is.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Ahh let It buck, all part of the heritage of developing this nation, some good, some bad but that’s all part of growing as a nation, yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Toss it all into the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-27-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
If someone can find an unbiased and credible link to the pros and the cons of changing our system of government I would like to read it.

How much would it cost to the economy?
How long would it take?
What would be improved?
What would be worse off?

I just don’t know enough about the topic to make an informed opinion.
This article is a few months old but it has some good information in it as to what it would take to retire the monarchy here in Canada.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7688428/c...lish-monarchy/
Old 09-27-2022, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
It has no real bearing on our day to day lives in a negative way. Gov't wastes money on everything anyhow. They are tearing down statues and burning churches, so maybe keeping a key part of our history isn't such a bad thing. I'm not a fan of Charles, but I think the Prince and Princess will be wonderful when it's their time. Leave the monarchy as is.
Wonderful for what? Benefiting us how?
Old 09-27-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.crentist View Post
Wonderful for what? Benefiting us how?
You be you. I will be me. I think history and a sense of tradition is important. Not all do, and that's cool.

Last edited by sns2; 09-27-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
You be you. I will be me. I think history and a sense of tradition is important. Not all do, and that's cool.
Got it.

Gov't waste- bad.
Gov't celebrity worship that contributes nothing positive to our daily lives- good.

No judgement passed, I was just hoping for some insight.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Got it.

Gov't waste- bad.
Gov't celebrity worship that contributes nothing positive to our daily lives- good.

No judgement passed, I was just hoping for some insight.
History is good. We have so little of it, why take it away? The woke folks wanna do that, and rewrite their version of it. Why should we join in?

At this time, we still have a Governor General who could theoretically say no, at the behest of the Monarch, if the sitting gov't of the day tries to pass laws that would gravely rob Canadians of democratically passed freedoms, and turn parliament into more of a laughingstock than it already is.

Safeguards are important.

You may not have liked it, but Mike Pence having the power to approve the electors' votes in Congress, despite the rage from Trump, likely saved a crisis the likes of which no western democracy has seen, and that would have sent seismic waves throughout the world.

Pandora's box is real.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by sns2; 09-27-2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:14 PM
Banned

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/kate-middl...155843324.html

Kate Middleton Accepts Flowers from an Enchanted 4-Year-Old in Wales — and Seems Just as Charmed!

I'll give you the rundown.

The prince and princess accept flowers from some brainwashed kids telling them "thanks, we deserve your accolades and worship because we're special by birth and/or marriage, no real qualifications necessary." I should add Kate was wearing a beautiful red coat that was worth more than it would take to send 4 of those kids to college, and you guessed it, paid for by taxpayers dollars.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:25 PM

Is Canada still giving money to England?

According to the League, Canadians shelled out $58,749,485.52 in 2019-2020 for the crown, although this is apparently a 5.95% decrease from the last survey.

While that sounds like an eye-watering amount, the League says it works out to be approximately $1.55 per individual Canadian.

Of this amount, it's the governor general's office that costs the most at $1.27 per person, per year. Lieutenant governors and their offices to the queen cost an additional $0.27 per capita.

Your $1.55 per year would be more useful where? If you think that getting rid of the Monarchy would in some way benefit you financially as a tax payer I have some ocean view property I would like to sell you out here in Stony Plain.

58 million a year wouldnt even cover a whimsical Trudeau giveaway for his idea of the week ..
Also if you know anything at all about how Ottawa works you would figure out that they can surely spend more than that per year on the “presidents” wants and needs
Old 09-27-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
History is good. We have so little of it, why take it away? The woke folks wanna do that, and rewrite their version of it. Why should we join in?

At this time, we still have a Governor General who could theoretically say no, at the behest of the Monarch, if the sitting gov't of the day tries to pass laws that would gravely rob Canadians of democratically passed freedoms, and turn parliament into more of a laughingstock than it already is.

You may not have liked it, but Mike Pence having the power to approve the electors' votes in Congress, despite the rage from Trump, likely saved a crisis the likes of which no western democracy has seen, and that would have sent seismic waves throughout the world.

Pandora's box is real.

Just my two cents.
Abolishing the monarchy would not change history, any more than abolishing slavery didn't change history. Both only change the future for the better, although both require a lot of effort to accomplish. As for the governor general, although he/she technically could delay the passing of bills, he/she is appointed by the Government, so they haven't used their authority to impede any of the asinine bills that Trudeau and his corrupt government have passed .
Old 09-27-2022, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Is Canada still giving money to England?

According to the League, Canadians shelled out $58,749,485.52 in 2019-2020 for the crown, although this is apparently a 5.95% decrease from the last survey.

While that sounds like an eye-watering amount, the League says it works out to be approximately $1.55 per individual Canadian.

Of this amount, it's the governor general's office that costs the most at $1.27 per person, per year. Lieutenant governors and their offices to the queen cost an additional $0.27 per capita.

Your $1.55 per year would be more useful where? If you think that getting rid of the Monarchy would in some way benefit you financially as a tax payer I have some ocean view property I would like to sell you out here in Stony Plain.

58 million a year wouldnt even cover a whimsical Trudeau giveaway for his idea of the week ..
Also if you know anything at all about how Ottawa works you would figure out that they can surely spend more than that per year on the “presidents” wants and needs
Let's wait and see those figures updated for next year. I'd like to see how much our (Canada's) ties will cost us this year with being affiliated with the monarchy, the legal changes, the reprinting, the pomp, etc.

I also love seeing how 58 million is all of a sudden chump change and not a big deal when the narrative fits your viewpoint. Spin it around, throw in Trudeau and Ottawa,.. yada yada, etc.. argument made. God save the King.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Abolishing the monarchy would not change history, any more than abolishing slavery didn't change history. Both only change the future for the better, although both require a lot of effort to accomplish. As for the governor general, although he/she technically could delay the passing of bills, he/she is appointed by the Government, so they haven't used their authority to impede any of the asinine bills that Trudeau and his corrupt government have passed .
You refuse to acknowledge the positive potential of a GG despite me giving a concrete example of a similar act occurring south of the border which may have turned the world upside down. Not new. Open your mind man. It doesn't hurt. Not even a little bit.

Further, how long would it take for woke provincial governments to totally rewrite history?

Not long. If you don't believe me, find a teacher to take you to an ATA meeting. You will see in a hurry.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Let's wait and see those figures updated for next year. I'd like to see how much our (Canada's) ties will cost us this year with being affiliated with the monarchy, the legal changes, the reprinting, the pomp, etc.

I also love seeing how 58 million is all of a sudden chump change and not a big deal when the narrative fits your viewpoint. Spin it around, throw in Trudeau and Ottawa,.. yada yada, etc.. argument made. God save the King.
You seem angry.
Ask yourself this. What government in the near (or far) future is going to want to open up the constitution and basically re write it to accomplish this monumental task

I don’t see it happening but maybe write Justin a note and ask him , he will probably get right on it.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
You refuse to acknowledge the positive potential of a GG despite me giving a concrete example of a similar act occurring south of the border which may have turned the world upside down. Not new. Open your mind man. It doesn't hurt. Not even a little bit.
The key word being "potential ", when was the last time that a Governor General refused to sign a bill in Canada? I will save you the effort to look it , the answer is NEVER. Pense is not a GG, and that was not in Canada.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
The key word being "potential ", when was the last time that a Governor General delayed a bill in Canada? Pense is not a GG, and that was not in Canada.
It was a ceremonial role in the US Constitution until the point it was no longer ceremonial. Same as ours. It's okay to acknowledge other people's arguments as having merit. It's not a sign of weakness.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
You seem angry.

less than most of the posters in here.

Quote:
Ask yourself this. What government in the near (or far) future is going to want to open up the constitution and basically re write it to accomplish this monumental task
Right, it's gonna be hard so we shouldn't even bother.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
It was a ceremonial role in the US Constitution until the point it was no longer ceremonial. Same as ours. It's okay to acknowledge other people's arguments as having merit. It's not a sign of weakness.
No Canadian Governor General has ever refused to sign a bill , so until that actually happens, it is a non issue.Once again, Pense was not a GG, and the situation was in the USA, not in Canada. The USA has no monarchy, so the position could be created in Canada even if we had no monarchy, so that is no reason to retain the monarchy.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
No Canadian Governor General has ever refused to sign a bill , so until that actually happens, it is a non issue.Once again, Pense was not a GG, and the situation was in the USA, not in Canada. The USA has no monarchy, so the position could be created in Canada even if we had no monarchy, so that is no reason to retain the monarchy.
You are hopelessly narrow minded. Good thing I'm an idiot too or we would not get along at all. LOL.

BTW, we are hunting partners.

I drive him up the wall. He reciprocates. Works well. Like Oscar and Felix or Fred and Barney.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:41 PM

The monarchy is nothing more than a waste of money in my books. Is there worse things our government wastes money on you bet but that doesn’t justify it

I just don’t see a benefit to the monarchy

There is definitely bigger issues that I would like to see change that are much higher on the list
Old 09-27-2022, 02:53 PM
Banned

The only thing rhat would be good about Aboloshing the monarchy would be opening the constitution. Providing we have the right guys in power we could level the playing field once that happens.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
You are hopelessly narrow minded. Good thing I'm an idiot too or we would not get along at all. LOL.

BTW, we are hunting partners.

I drive him up the wall. He reciprocates. Works well. Like Oscar and Felix or Fred and Barney.
My point being that you are using an example from a non monarchy to justify keeping a monarchy, I find it quite ironic.