Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2022, 05:26 PM

Default More Happy than I’ve Been in Quite Some Time

My son is 19. Graduated during Covid. Really good kid. Biggest trouble he’s given us is a messy room. Smart enough to go to university, but I never encouraged it. I may be different, but as a teacher, I have always felt that the trades have so much more to offer than trying to figure out what you wanna do while at university. I did not want him to follow in my footsteps. University, at least in my opinion, is a black hole unless you have something very specific in mind. Anyhow, this summer I pointedly challenged him to get serious and choose a job that can lead somewhere. He took it to heart, started investigating the trades, and a week ago he told me he wants to get on as a welding apprentice.

A hunting buddy got him an interview, and today he got on with Edmonton Exchanger, and after his probation will choose between welding, pipe fitting or boilermaker and head to NAIT.

Such a good feeling when your kids make good decisions and start finding their way in life.

Today, I am happy and thankful. Just really, really thankful.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:37 PM
Banned

Boilermakers left the Building trades and just signed a $10+ raise over 3 years, $8+ over the first 3 months. 146 is a strong Union and if your son has the right attitude he will succeed there. They have alot of work and they have alot of connections in the States if he is willing to travel and make bank while things are slow here.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:38 PM

Sounds like a good kid, you should be proud. Nice to see some recognition for the trades as well.

Probably not many people are aware of this yet, trades people will now be given academic credential as well as their certificate. Upon completion of their apprenticeship and the journeyperson certificate will be accompanied with a 2-year diploma, that would count towards further college or university education. This is excellent news, I only wish it would apply to those of us with 20 year old certificates.

I'm a trades instructor at Lethbridge College, we are actively pursuing some new initiatives with the local school districts, in an effort to promote trades, they are:

1. Two or three year, dual credit program for high school students. They do a trades sampler the first year, try a bunch of the trades to see what they like. The second year they choose a trade and get further into it. Third year they complete the pre-employment program and are ready to enter the work force.

2. We are creating STEM based activity kits that will go out to the schools, K-12. They have a trades focus, and are a way to show kids how the math, science etc. they are learning can and will be used in the real world.

Last night we had an open house at the college, almost 300 high school students and their parents came to learn about some of these programs, and tour our facilities. It was great to see!

Also, there are lots of grants out there for trades students now, $1000 every year, $2000 upon completion. I believe there is up to $10K available for women entering the trades.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:45 PM

Sound like a kid with a good head on his shoulders getting some great advice from his parents. The trades have done well for me. Congrats SNS2!

My son is also 19 but decided he wants to be a Chemical Engineer so he just started second year of a 6 year program at the UofA. After a lifetime of hearing me talking poorly about engineers I’m still trying to figure that one out….

Oh well, there’s always a chance the girl takes up one of those soft trades like electrician or instrument mechanic…

I going to go put my flame suit on now…😂
Old 09-29-2022, 05:46 PM

This is great news. Still plenty of time to try it and go on to something else if he doesn’t fancy it. We’ll be toasting this at wing night.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:49 PM

A person never stops being a parent. Ups and downs we feel them all. Glad for you and your son. Trades are awesome, there is something about creating and building.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-29-2022, 05:51 PM

Good on you. I can hear the passion in your post, no-regard, and that translates to your students undoubtedly. Yes, the worm has turned in regard to the trades for sure, and I for one am glad. From the day I stepped into the classroom, I have been their biggest booster.

I’m the pits at math, but I know that getting paid to go to school, and coming out with no debt, and potentially making more in your first year than the teachers you had in high school is a winning equation.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My son is 19. Graduated during Covid. Really good kid. Biggest trouble he’s given us is a messy room. Smart enough to go to university, but I never encouraged it. I may be different, but as a teacher, I have always felt that the trades have so much more to offer than trying to figure out what you wanna do while at university. I did not want him to follow in my footsteps. University, at least in my opinion, is a black hole unless you have something very specific in mind. Anyhow, this summer I pointedly challenged him to get serious and choose a job that can lead somewhere. He took it to heart, started investigating the trades, and a week ago he told me he wants to get on as a welding apprentice.

A hunting buddy got him an interview, and today he got on with Edmonton Exchanger, and after his probation will choose between welding, pipe fitting or boilermaker and head to NAIT.

Such a good feeling when your kids make good decisions and start finding their way in life.

Awesome to hear. I got a break getting my foot in the door of the trades though an interview set up by my former high school principal. Now I am 23 years old and a jman automotive tech and working my way to becoming a HD jman too. Tell him to keep out of the workplace drama and work hard and before he knows it, he'll be making 6 figures on no more than 8 months of schooling. Really happy for you and your family.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:55 PM

My boy is also 19 and has been exploring options in the trades. He has just started applying at different shops in the last few days as he interested in mechanics possibly heavy duty.

In our house we have always told our kids we want to see them pursue a trade or schooling that is focused towards a worthwhile career

Best of luck to your boy
Old 09-29-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
My boy is also 19 and has been exploring options in the trades. He has just started applying at different shops in the last few days as he interested in mechanics possibly heavy duty.

In our house we have always told our kids we want to see them pursue a trade or schooling that is focused towards a worthwhile career

Best of luck to your boy
You guys anywhere near Westlock? I may have a job lead for a kid looking to get in.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 View Post
You guys anywhere near Westlock? I may have a job lead for a kid looking to get in.
Thanks for the thought but a little too far as we are in Drayton valley
Old 09-29-2022, 06:12 PM

And here i am in the trades thinking I should have gone in to be a teacher instead...
Old 09-29-2022, 06:19 PM

I have a HD truck - Trailer shop and I always have taken the stance to get young ones in the trade, some get a start and after a couple years move on in a specific direction within the trade but Me and my team do our best to get them a good start. Lots stay for many many years as well. Any enter level mechanics or welders need a start shoot me a pm

In north west Edmonton
Old 09-29-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Congratulations, you must be very proud! NAIT has some great programs, and for a lot of kids going into a straight forward program with a clear goal at the end makes an awful lot of sense.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:36 PM

That's great news, SNS2, and I can relate - my oldest son has been diligently swinging a hammer since graduating and is looking into the options he has to advance in his education in the trade. I'm proud of him!
Old 09-29-2022, 06:53 PM

Congrats to your son! I took a similar path and turned down university in favor of the trades. After 12 years, I'm now off the tools in a supervisory role working towards my project management certificate and Blue Seal.

My one piece of advice as a former welder is that your son choose any trade other than welding. I would never recommend it as a career and have massive regrets about dedicating 12 years to it. Should have walked away in my 2nd year. If he has the option to do pipefitting, I'd take that over welding in a heartbeat.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:58 PM

Quite satisfying to watch our kids moving in the right direction. Enjoy.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:03 PM

Good to here sns2. I did pretty good in trades myself, but the one down side is, it beats the crap out of your body after 40 years. Best to have an early exit plan, and learn to save and invest for that retirement. It can be really satisfying work for sure, to look at what you did at the end of the day.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-29-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
And here i am in the trades thinking I should have gone in to be a teacher instead...

You stay doing what you are doing. If you were a teacher, they’d have your azz in sensitivity training non-stop! LOL.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=Outbound;4563428]Congrats to your son! I took a similar path and turned down university in favor of the trades. After 12 years, I'm now off the tools in a supervisory role working towards my project management certificate and Blue Seal.

My one piece of advice as a former welder is that your son choose any trade other than welding. I would never recommend it as a career and have massive regrets about dedicating 12 years to it. Should have walked away in my 2nd year. If he has the option to do pipefitting, I'd take that over welding in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

They told him if he makes it past probation, it will be his choice between welding, pipefitting, or boilermaking.

He will be reading this thread, so fire away with any and all advice.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:16 PM

I was going to be a welder.
But I heard the lobotomy in second year really hurts.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Good to here sns2. I did pretty good in trades myself, but the one down side is, it beats the crap out of your body after 40 years. Best to have an early exit plan, and learn to save and invest for that retirement. It can be really satisfying work for sure, to look at what you did at the end of the day.
The nice thing about larger companies, is that there is usually an option to get into leadership or safety , at some point, I took that route myself, and it saves your body, and helps a lot with a pension.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:39 PM
AO Sponsor

Super happy for both you and your son sir! Well done!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-29-2022, 07:40 PM

That’s awesome news bud. Pass on my congrats to Nick. Exciting. Now we can have him build our contraptions in future 😆
Old 09-29-2022, 07:43 PM

Forget the negative bs about the welding trade. There is a lot more to the trade than welding pipe. There is Fabrication ,Repair , Artistic welding can be very rewarding, if you have a creative side.
The ticket can open other doors beyond breathing smoke and grinding particles.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE=Outbound;4563428]Congrats to your son! I took a similar path and turned down university in favor of the trades. After 12 years, I'm now off the tools in a supervisory role working towards my project management certificate and Blue Seal.

My one piece of advice as a former welder is that your son choose any trade other than welding. I would never recommend it as a career and have massive regrets about dedicating 12 years to it. Should have walked away in my 2nd year. If he has the option to do pipefitting, I'd take that over welding in a heartbeat.
They told him if he makes it past probation, it will be his choice between welding, pipefitting, or boilermaking.

He will be reading this thread, so fire away with any and all advice.[/QUOTE]

Boilermaking can be ok, but is almost as hard on your body as welding. Pipefitting is easier on the body, cleaner, and easier to pivot to other trades like sprinklerfitting, plumbing etc. should the need ever arise. I've met very few pipefitters who were miserable after 15+ years of work. Nearly every single welder I know has either had to hang up the tools due to injury, has moved to another line of work or is just a miserable ***** after the same amount of time. Welding is a great skill to have, it's a toxic trade though in more ways than one.

No matter what he chooses, have an exit plan to get off the tools. Safety, supervising, inspecting or whatever. Make sure to grab every single bit of training offered, no matter how inane it sounds since you never know what will be that lifeline you need to avoid a layoff or get a promotion. Never be too good to push a broom or help another trade. Welders, especially B Pressure guys, are notorious for refusing to do anything but weld. I survived 3 layoffs because I told the boss I didn't care if I was welding, pipefitting, pushing a broom or cleaning toilets I just wanted to work. It all paid the same. Spend less than you make, don't get caught up in the atv/travel trailer/diesel truck/hookers/blow lifestyle. Keep your mouth shut and your ears open, even after getting the jman ticket. Maintain a work-life balance, but be willing to work hard and long to get ahead. Be able to pass a drug test at a moment's notice. Show up every day, on time. If you're not 10 - 15 minutes early, you're late. Network with other people, but don't be an arse kisser. It's your contacts in the trades and your reputation that will keep you working, but nobody likes the guy who is constantly giving the boss a reach around.

That's about it for now. LOL.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I was going to be a welder.
But I heard the lobotomy in second year really hurts.
The most important thing I learned was how to whine until I get what I want. They teach that in 3rd year.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:18 PM

Super happy for both of you guys,all the best in whatever trade he chooses .

Hard on the back , hard on whatever as long as he enjoys it that's what counts.

Cheers
JD
Old 09-29-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
This is great news. Still plenty of time to try it and go on to something else if he doesn’t fancy it. We’ll be toasting this at wing night.
x2... smartest people i know got a trade or 2 years technical diploma and off they went. some went and pursued a liberal arts education after, and they always had money and drive ... i was lucky as i worked rigs in summers and then went as a teamster on the docks afterwards before completing my liberal arts ed. ... each to their own ... my daughter this year finished grade 12 @ 17 years ... left right after grad and worked as an aux pere (did I say that right) in Italy for July & August .. then went to France to celebrate her 18th and back packed France, Switzerland for a month and back yesterday ... future plans are 6 weeks in NY for acting then 2-3 months in NZ and OZ during winter ... Spring in Victoria and the North VR Island then tree planting for the summer and then ???? /.... fully encourage a gap year or 3 to get it together and embrace change and grow ... best to your son as he is pointed in the right direction ...an off shoot for welding is NDT
Old 09-29-2022, 08:37 PM

To add to Outbound’s comments.

If he goes welding route he needs to consider getting another ticket as well, particularly if he wants to get on at a company long term. Most places want dual tickets. If he sticks to welding he needs to go all the way and specialize.

The exit plan is huge for anyone in the heavy trades. By the time he gets into his 40’s he needs to have additional training in something like safety, project management, supervision, planning so he can transition into something that will let him work into his late 60s.

This is from someone on the other side of the fence with 30 years experience.