Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2018, 11:13 AM
Banned

Default Sedin's retire.

Classy letter from 2 great players.

Dear Canucks fans,

Earlier this year we wrote a letter to the city, and to everyone who has supported us for the past 18 years. Many people were asking what the future holds. We said we'd take it one year at a time. We said when the time was right, we'd talk with our families and sit down with management to discuss it.

We started the year with the mindset that a decision would be made in the postseason. But it became clear, after discussions with our families throughout the year, that this will be our last season. This feels right for all of us.

Being part of the Canucks family for 18 seasons has been the best period of our lives. But it's time to focus on our families and life after hockey. It's time to help with homework every night. It's time to be at every birthday party and to stand in the cold at every hockey rink, soccer game and riding lesson on weekends. It's time to be at home for dinner every night.

We're saying it now because we want to share these final three games with you. We also want to share these games with our families, friends, teammates, coaches, trainers, staff and everyone at the Canucks who have supported us. You've all been with us every step of the way, and we want to thank you.

It's time to let the next generation of young players lead the Canucks. Travis is building a strong culture and emphasizes a style of play we know will be successful. The team is in great hands, with people who care about its success and it's headed in the right direction. We know there is a bright future for the Canucks.

As we've said before, Vancouver has become home. This is our family's home. We plan to be part of this community long after we retire. Vancouver has given us so much and we've tried to give everything we have in return. That won't change.

In the meantime, we still have some games to play, and we still have some work to do.

Henrik and Daniel
Old 04-02-2018, 11:55 AM

As a long time Canucks fan, I'm sad to see them retire. But the Canucks need to turn the page. They are first ballot HOFers. Nothing but class and had way better careers than anyone thought possible, especially in their first few years.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:14 PM

Very classy. Playing in the west and with the oilers a lot, it’s good to see some class was instilled into other players.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:06 PM

Loved the Sedin's.

Very funny moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6tBr6PMkBY

"The Shift". Absolutely incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGUfc2h4wEc
Old 04-02-2018, 01:29 PM

As a long time Canucks hater I'll still be sad to see them go. Very classy guys.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:53 PM

2 Good guys who had star quality despite the jokes. Too bad they never got a cup. I tipped my hat to them when they came out with team in tow to congratulate Ryan Smythe on his retirement night.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
As a long time Canucks fan, I'm sad to see them retire. But the Canucks need to turn the page. They are first ballot HOFers. Nothing but class and had way better careers than anyone thought possible, especially in their first few years.
Not sure about first ballot, but probable HOFers for sure! Talented, classy guys.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:12 PM

That's good they are well past there prime, they did well for the city.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:16 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

You can see it all year long, just not into it, tried to find that last spark.
They did well for the franchise, the city and the fans. 18 years of me yelling at them on TV maybe they had enough....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-02-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Loved the Sedin's.

Very funny moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6tBr6PMkBY

"The Shift". Absolutely incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGUfc2h4wEc
It would of been amazing if it wasn't against the Soilers. Just saying.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-02-2018, 07:51 PM

Just so Flames' fans don't feel left out. Henrik to Daniel to mesh.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YafdepidxsU
Old 04-02-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It would of been amazing if it wasn't against the Soilers. Just saying.
Against the flamers maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKarFwyYm9g

Will be sad to see them go. Always were a classy pair, as well as very talented players. Never cheap, quite tough to play against. Never understood some of the "dislike".
Old 04-02-2018, 09:45 PM

Being a long time Canuck fan, I cheered when Burke made the deal to get them both. It was fantastic watching them play. They were great players and still classy guys to the end.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
quite tough to play against.
Anytime I hear that name this is all I can think about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emxHRMgJhBw

They were easy to hate if you are not a 'Nuks fan because of their skill set, allways turning on the red light.

Also easy to poke fun at cause they were soft and lacked grit.

But classy guys no doubt that served that city and team well, I wish them all the best. That is a long, LONG time to be playing pro hockey and with the same team? Impressive for sure
Old 04-03-2018, 06:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I remember watching these two during regular season make the complete league look like junior B players....someone said yesterday they communicate on the ice like dolphins, that made me laugh because they new what was going on and the rest were just very well paid spectators.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-03-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
2 Good guys who had star quality despite the jokes. Too bad they never got a cup. I tipped my hat to them when they came out with team in tow to congratulate Ryan Smythe on his retirement night.
x2 on that one. You can't ever argue that they were not a class act all the way. Some guys in the league could learn a thing or 2 from them. HOF for sure, no question...

That said, it has always been fun to poke at my buddies about the Sedin Sisters....Will miss that.. LOL

BH

Old 04-03-2018, 08:32 AM

18 years of making defenders look silly. Sad to see them go, I would have liked to see them take a pay cut and stay, maybe at $1-2M per, but I can get behind their decision.

Class acts, ambassadors for the game, and all around great guys. First ballot hall of famers for sure.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:49 PM

Class acts all the way. Going to miss them "playing pass!" None will ever do it better
Old 04-05-2018, 10:53 PM

As a Flames fan and avid Canucks hater, it wasn't hard to not like the Sedins, but only because they were so damn good sometimes... Nothing to do with them being greasy on the ice or terrible people. Just damn good hockey players.

Even I got goosebumps after D Sedin scored the OT winner tonight, from, of course, H Sedin. Well done gentlemen!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
As a Flames fan and avid Canucks hater, it wasn't hard to not like the Sedins, but only because they were so damn good sometimes... Nothing to do with them being greasy on the ice or terrible people. Just damn good hockey players.

Even I got goosebumps after D Sedin scored the OT winner tonight, from, of course, H Sedin. Well done gentlemen!
X2... that was quite a way for them to end their careers.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:15 AM

What a game...#22 scoring his 22nd, assisted by #33 at 0:33 of the second, and the OT winner...What can I say! I haven't seen that building jumping like that since Burrows' OT goal in G7 round 1 of the 2011 playoffs. Electric!!