Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Banned

Default thuja Green giant

I'm looking for some trees to use as a privacy screen across the front of my acreage. Colorado Blue Spruce...meh...too slow growing. Thuja occidentalis...?...hardiness?. I saw the Thuja green giants and they are a fast growing thick tree that would be perfect from what I have read, but the hardiness zone west of edmonton might be pushing it.

Anyone have any other recommendations for a screen/hedge evergreen type of thingy?? OR any experience with the Green giants?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 05:58 PM
jrs

Cedar's are not very winter tolerant in Alberta, i think the winter wind leads to a lot of winter kill. They do okay in sheltered areas but definitely don't get as big as in BC (or out east). Blue spruce/ white spruce/ other spruce variety wouldn't be terrible if you consider starting with 5' or bigger trees. Expensive but they start growing a bit faster at that size, in 10 years they will be pretty good size trees. Another idea is plant hybrid poplar or something similar for an outside row (super fast growing) to give you privacy in the short term then chop them up for firewood in 10 years when the spruce are big enough. Limited choice if you want something thick, pines grow faster but they're not as bushy. Otherwise caragana or Lilac can give you a thick 10-15 foot hedge in 10-15 years.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:46 PM

Towering poplar are very fast growing and are a nice tree for a cover row, then try scotch pine for your evergreen. One of the fastest growing evergreens, and very bushy if treated with a bit of care.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:44 AM

Try some Manitoba Maples.Grow fast,and they have a large canopy.I robbed some seedlings about 8-10" tall from my mommy's last year,didn't plant them right away,they all wilted.I water the heck outta them and they all came back so I planted them.Then the deer played havoc on them over the winter so I cleaned out their holes and watered the heck outta them and they have all grown a least a foot already this year.Even one of them that was just a little 2" stump in the dirt has resprouted and is growin' like heck.Only down fall is they loose a kazillion leaves in the fall and you can see through them then.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:21 PM

Location: Half an hour west of Leduc, 10 minutes south of Genesee Power.

Cedar works on an east exposure. The folliage and buds of cedar have two problems in Alberta. If they are exposed to the northwest, then those long winter days with light very cold dry winds from the northwest do them in, especially if it's sunny. The sun warms up the twigs when the air is still, then the breeze takes the humidity away.

But if you put them on the south side of the house, you put them in a heat trap, where it can easily get 10-15 degrees warmer than the surrounding area -- but the roots are still frozen, and cant bring in any more water. Hence east side of the house.

In the city, enough of the wind is blocked by other houses that they usually do ok on the North side of the house, or if on the south side, 20-30 feet away from the house.

It also works if you have a good solid shelterbelt to the NW to slow down the wind.

Poplar grow VERY fast, but have a tendency to sucker if anything hits a root, or just because they feel like it. Their roots are shallow, and can lift and crack driveways and sidewalks. Don't let them near your septic field.

Poplar are dirty trees. Every time the wind blows hard, you will find leaves, and twigs scattered about. The lawn mower mulches them nicely, but if you are at all lawn proud, they aren't a good idea.

For all that I like poplar. Hill poplar will form a nice screen in about 4 years. (I have some that are 16-18' tall going into their 5th summer. Great big leathery leaves that sound like distant applause.) Swedish aspen are one of the least bad for suckering. Tower poplar is narrower than hill, wider than Swedish.

Poplar are short lived trees -- 30-70 years.

Contrary to a previous poster, in my experience both scots pine and white spruce will grow about 1.5 feet a year -- if you water them. Choose between them on the basis of your soil type: Sandy soil -- go with pines. Clay or peaty soil, go with spruce.

One way to go is to alternate poplar and an evergreen. The poplar give you a screen in a hurry. When the evergreens get big enough to start taking over the job, you turn the poplar into firewood.

When you plant them leave room to mow around them. Keep the grass mowed short around the trees during the first few years. They will do better with less competition. If you plant a solid row of evergreen put them 8-10 feet apart. If you do the alternating approach, put them 6 feet apart.

Other possibilities: Native choke cherry. Only gets about 12 feet tall, lots of twigs to break up the view in winter. Fruit make good jam. Nice pink/orange fall colour.

Native dog wood. Only gets about 5 feet tall. Bright red twigs in winter. Needs moist soil, or extra water.

Golden willow: Grow as a multistem shrub rather than as a tree. Doesn't do well in sandy soil.

Green Alder. Fast growth, very solid hedge. Gets about 12-15 feet tall. Will grow on awful soil.
Wood is great for smoking meat. Seeds of interest to winter birds. Tree can be messy, b ittle wood that breaks easily. Needs an occasional chainsaw haircut.

Caragana. Grows on anything.

Larch/Tamerack: Our fastest conifer. 2+ feet per year. Loses needles in fall, and looks like dead christmas tree.

Hope this helps.

Sherwood Botsford
Sherwood's Forests Tree Farm
"Trees for Rural Living"
http://sherwoods-forests.com
sfinfo@sherwoods-forests.com
50042 Range Road 31, Warburg, AB
(780) 848 2548
Old 07-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Banned

Default thanks

Wow....thanks for the informative replies guys.

Appreciate it.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:26 AM

Hi all, I am a new member of forum

Last edited by admin; 08-13-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:47 AM

No matter what trees you decide to go with, the biggest thing IMO is to water the heck outta them, especially if your wanting them to grow faster. A little fertilizer helps as well...
Old 08-13-2009, 10:23 AM

Don't mean to hijack thread but are there any "greenthumb" type websites for Alberta gardeners much like this is for hunters? Been looking a lot and found a couple blogs and thats it...
Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Banned

Default well...

I found some emerald cedars at home depot for 4 bucks a piece about a foot high. Gonna try them out with the realization that they may not make it. But for 4 bucks...I'll give it a whirl. Thought I might try putting some sonotube around them for the winter to provide shelter from the winter wind.

Also planted some pine trees and cottoneaster. Big experiment going on. lol