Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
The gopro is priceless and believe it or not be almost better on a forward coming in so he can see the angle better!...
He broke the mount on his stick today. Not a biggy. Cam is just fine
I tried mounting it to his helmet, its not going to work with what we have. Off to future shop and buy another type of mount.

The video mounted behind the net on the glass came out great. But a practice is not a game. I am going to mount it in the net for the next practice.
It just seems i dont have time before a game to play with this stuff. Most arenas you need a ladder to get up top of the glass.

Right now i am reaserching a way to mount it for Salmon fishing
I did find this
http://trollpro.com
Jamie
Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Banned

Issues with charging the battery on the Go Pro caused a great game by Willy to be not recorded. Grrrrrr

Long break for the boys culminated into a 5-2 win over the number 4 team in our league. We were pathetic in the first, ok in the 2nd and really good in the the 3rd.

Shots were even 36-36 with Willy being rock solid. He looked good and made some very tough saves.

We lost 4-1 to this team earlier in November, perhaps we are getting a bit better. Time will tell though.

Back to the arena in 10 minuntes with Willy. He got called up to practice with a Bantam team. Big honour for him and he is one happy kid right now. Lets see how he does against the older kids.

Jamie
Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 AM

Had brutal tourney this weekend, the kids just did not try and it showed... the lost every game. It is different when they try hard and don't win, but these were total losses. Fortunately that got the demons out and we beat the top team in the league on Sunday. I am sure some of the kids got a talking to from their folks after Saturday and it must have worked.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:52 AM

There is so much variability in reffing it is crazy. I can understand why some of them get shouted at!...

The ref was missing icings, offsides, and then would call a bump and let an absolute mop-up go....

On Sunday it was so nice to have a good ref.
After our player had his third penalty I said he better watch himself as he is going to get creamed and there will be no call. I said that he needed to shape up or he would be in a world of hurt. Next shift he got penalty number 4 and when he got out he then got mopped up by the other team behind the play but the other player made it look like an incidental collision and the ref did not call it. He was hurt enough he was put out of the game. I am able to look at the situation objectively enough to say he got what he deserved and the ref got it right by not making the call. The penalty was not a deterrent but hopefully getting creamed will be for him to play properly.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
There is so much variability in reffing it is crazy. I can understand why some of them get shouted at!...

The ref was missing icings, offsides, and then would call a bump and let an absolute mop-up go....

After our player had his third penalty I said he better watch himself as he is going to get creamed and there will be no call. I said that he needed to shape up or he would be in a world of hurt. Next shift he got penalty number 4 and when he got out he then got mopped up by the other team behind the play but the other player made it look like an incidental collision and the ref did not call it. He was hurt enough he was put out of the game. I am able to look at the situation objectively enough to say he got what he deserved and the ref got it right by not making the call. The penalty was not a deterrent but hopefully getting creamed will be for him to play properly.
The differences between the refs can be very frustrating. Thankfully the last few have been outstanding.

A quick tip for all GT parents.
Willy is right at the point of going into adult sizes for equipment.
When i run across a deal, i take notice. Last week i found a set of 33+1 rebook revoke pads. Perfect colour and the style that Will wants.
They were regularly priced at $850
On sale for $500
Snapped them up as its about time to change pads.
Willy takes them on the ice and procedes to fall all over the place. He can barely stand up let alone push off.
He plays no more than15 minutes and i tell him to go get on his old ones.

Get home and look at the difference. The biggest thing was that the adult sized pads have a deeper channel where his skate goes. That caused the pad to sit lower and hit the ice when his skate was angled.

Thankfully Source for Sports took them back.
Turns out junior skates are not as tall as senior skates!
He doesnt need new skates and taller ones would cost a new goal stick as well.

He had some fitting issues with the thigh guard and though he could run with a bigger size, we are sticking with what we have and have adjusted the present pads.

Big game tonight with us faceing the top ranked team. Last time was 6-3 loss for us. We improved last game, perhaps this can continue.

BTW. Willys practice with the bantams was outstanding. He owned them and he knew it. He has gotten so much better in some aspects that its almost scary.

Jamie
Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 PM

Source for Sports is awesome!... With four boys they now know me on a first name basis...

When I go in of course I look for the deals but quite often after talking to our guy their he always gives me some great advice and while I may spend a bit more than planned it pays dividends because it works well. for example we were looking at some hockey pants and with the oldest being a D-man we did not want to cheap out, but still not pay too much we found a pair, he tried them on and they fit well, then along came our guy and showed us something else of course what he showed us was not on sale and he explained that the ones we looked at were on sale because they restricted mobility more than the ones we looked at. so we went with the other ones and spent a bit more but they work very well.

Skates are so important... when we go in their they get them fit and aligned to match them and their skating style which helps alot!...

Sticks... there is so much more to sticks than I ever thought on getting the right flex, lie, curve etc. our guy took our boy aside and many sticks later finally found the one.... it works very well and allows him to maintain natural skating movement while stick handling and shooting....

Equipment technology has come a long way. I never cheap out on the helmet, always the best I can get and it will be used by his younger brothers.

Of course other parents are awesome too at helping us stay in gear...Now we are passing gear along too!...
Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:

in div 5 peewee and lower into atom and novice, the refs are usually in their first or second year of reffing. last year i went and supervised a bunch of these kids to help them along and yes it is painful as to how far of a spread there is amongst the refs. some watch just the puck and only call plays on the puck.

reffing is actually really hard at these levels as everything the players do is so small or you dont know if they really didnt mean to run into each other.

ive been reffing going on 7 years now and screw up ALL the time.

hope all your teams are doing well and (i think) EMHW is right around the corner and wish you the best
Old 01-07-2014, 01:43 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
in div 5 peewee and lower into atom and novice, the refs are usually in their first or second year of reffing. last year i went and supervised a bunch of these kids to help them along and yes it is painful as to how far of a spread there is amongst the refs. some watch just the puck and only call plays on the puck.

reffing is actually really hard at these levels as everything the players do is so small or you dont know if they really didnt mean to run into each other.

ive been reffing going on 7 years now and screw up ALL the time.

hope all your teams are doing well and (i think) EMHW is right around the corner and wish you the best
Thank you for admitting this and you know what everyone in minor hockey needs to understand that it is a development program for ALL involved. Kids, parents, coaches, refs, coordinators all make mistakes so being positive and working together to insure the game is a great experience for all must start with you, me, us....have a great season all.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 PM

I understand when it is young ref and people make mistakes, I just wish they were consistant instead of one-sided....

These are adult refs with years of experience and they have no trouble expressing their credentials or years of experience as a ref.

At the end of the game I have a really hard time shaking the hand of the mani in the uniform, at that point I am only respecting the uniform and not the man in it.

As an umpire if I blow a call I expect to take a reasonable amount of heat as long as it is not profane or questions my character.

Mickey Mantle said a long time ago... You may question an umpires eyesight but never his integrity...

When I see a young ref i always like to encourage them and give them some slack, however if player safety becomes an issue then I will act in best interests of the kids.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I understand when it is young ref and people make mistakes, I just wish they were consistant instead of one-sided....

These are adult refs with years of experience and they have no trouble expressing their credentials or years of experience as a ref.

At the end of the game I have a really hard time shaking the hand of the mani in the uniform, at that point I am only respecting the uniform and not the man in it.

As an umpire if I blow a call I expect to take a reasonable amount of heat as long as it is not profane or questions my character.

Mickey Mantle said a long time ago... You may question an umpires eyesight but never his integrity...

When I see a young ref i always like to encourage them and give them some slack, however if player safety becomes an issue then I will act in best interests of the kids.
Yes but act in a way that you would want to be treated, respectful. There are other reporting procedures that can be followed if the issue has no resolve but remember and I can not stress this enough respectful. Young eyes are watching you as a mentor and you do not want to give them the idea that anything other than respectful conduct is acceptable for all involved in the game.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
A quick tip for all GT parents.
Willy is right at the point of going into adult sizes for equipment.
When i run across a deal, i take notice. Last week i found a set of 33+1 rebook revoke pads. Perfect colour and the style that Will wants.
They were regularly priced at $850
On sale for $500
Snapped them up as its about time to change pads.
Willy takes them on the ice and procedes to fall all over the place. He can barely stand up let alone push off.
He plays no more than15 minutes and i tell him to go get on his old ones.

Get home and look at the difference. The biggest thing was that the adult sized pads have a deeper channel where his skate goes. That caused the pad to sit lower and hit the ice when his skate was angled.
It is always a good idea to test fit pads in the store with skates and pants on, in the event that they won't take them back. Skate size and ankle to knee measurement are the major factors in pad fit, as you want the knee to end up on the landing gear when in the butterfly. Butterfly style pads also have a deeper boot and leg channel than hybrid style pads. Also, not all pads fit the same in any given size: Brian's, CCM/Reebok generally fit bigger than Vaughn and Bauer in any given size. What is he wearing now, and what is his hieght and skate size?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
It is always a good idea to test fit pads in the store with skates and pants on, in the event that they won't take them back. Skate size and ankle to knee measurement are the major factors in pad fit, as you want the knee to end up on the landing gear when in the butterfly. Butterfly style pads also have a deeper boot and leg channel than hybrid style pads. Also, not all pads fit the same in any given size: Brian's, CCM/Reebok generally fit bigger than Vaughn and Bauer in any given size. What is he wearing now, and what is his hieght and skate size?
In our case the problems didn't become evident until we hit the ice. In store is good from a height POV, but we missed the inside drag from the pads.

Willy is currently wearing a Reebok 18k 31+1 pad
The one that didn't work was a 33+1 Reebok Revoke
Revoke are advertised as a Hibred pad.
We found hardly any boot channel in the Reebok Butterfly pads. But he wants the Hybred style this time. You can basicly tell the difference by if the pad is flat on the front(butterfly) or has the 3 pillowy cushions on the knee.

I don't have a clue as to his height and skates are being sharpened as I speak. (I am here at south fish creek, becouse god knows he is only happy if these guys do it)

Jamie
Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Banned

Size 6 on the GT skates.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yes but act in a way that you would want to be treated, respectful. There are other reporting procedures that can be followed if the issue has no resolve but remember and I can not stress this enough respectful. Young eyes are watching you as a mentor and you do not want to give them the idea that anything other than respectful conduct is acceptable for all involved in the game.
Absolutely!... Always with respect... Over the time I have been doing sometimes our refs ask me for feedbackand I always stress that they are there first and foremost for the safety of the players.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 PM

Sorry, fresh out of bed and I accidentally posted the boot and leg channel bit backwards. The hybrid pads are more flexible in the boot and will hug the skate a bit tighter.

If moving into hybrid pads continues to be an issue, boot risers are always an option, as are adjustments with the toe ties and boot straps (allows the pad to rotate more contacting the ice). I wear Bauer Reactor 4000 pads and for toe ties I run toehooks attached to the skate with laces running an inch of slack, and my boot strap is very loose. Step steel blades can help get more height on the skate, but for somebody who is still progressing through the ranks probably wouldn't be a great option as they aren't allowed in higher levels. I have to use them myself as I was having an issue with skates blowouts with my Reebok skates (they seem to have less height and a shallower attack angle than Bauer). If you're looking to get into hybrid style pads the Bauer Reactor (or Rx predecessor) and Vaughn Velocity are also worth checking out.

Last edited by Nova; 01-07-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Sorry, fresh out of bed and I accidentally posted the boot and leg channel bit backwards. The hybrid pads are more flexible in the boot and will hug the skate a bit tighter.

If moving into hybrid pads continues to be an issue, boot risers are always an option, as are adjustments with the toe ties and boot straps (allows the pad to rotate more contacting the ice). I wear Bauer Reactor 4000 pads and for toe ties I run toehooks attached to the skate with laces running an inch of slack, and my boot strap is very loose. Step steel blades can help get more height on the skate, but for somebody who is still progressing through the ranks probably wouldn't be a great option as they aren't allowed in higher levels. I have to use them myself as I was having an issue with skates blowouts with my Reebok skates (they seem to have less height and a shallower attack angle than Bauer). If you're looking to get into hybrid style pads the Bauer Reactor (or Rx predecessor) and Vaughn Velocity are also worth checking out.
Some great info!!!
Thank you. I just have to get him off this Reebok kick he is on.
Ever since Reebok sent him those pads after the fire he won't look at anything else.

Where are these boot risers you speak of? And what exactly are they?

Jamie
Old 01-07-2014, 05:58 PM

Boot risers lace into the boot channel to raise the pad up. They can be used to help correct a variety of issues. Pads contacting the ice while standing causing slip outs, or contacting the ice in the butterfly and not allowing the skate to get a good bite to push off for butterfly slides. I believe there are even some NHL goalies using them to help improve 5 hole seal with the new pad sizing rules.

There may be other suppliers but PAW was the first one that pops into my head. http://www.protectiveathleticwear.com/bootrisers.htm

I'm sure you could also make something similar at home, even just to test the idea out. But keep in mind the pad riser will have an effect on the pad fit.

As I mentioned, strapping can play a huge part in pad fit and function. I spent several hours testing different combinations out on the carpet at home and after about 5 ice sessions finally got my pads functioning as I want them to.

I agree with you about shaking the brand loyalty. As a skater differences between brands are insignificant, but as a goalie you can be closing a lot of doors by only looking at one brand. Goaltending equipment needs to be comfortable, mobile and the pieces need to work in harmony. That may not always be possible sticking with one brand depending on a person's physical build and style of play. As far as I know the Reebok pads tend to be fairly stiff compared to others, even in their hybrid lines.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the forum at goalie store.com is a great source of info. There are a number of guys there who work in the industry and will give quality advice regardless if it is a product they sell or not.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:40 PM

Jamie, you can also try some of the used pads at either WPG or the Goalie Shop. Not sure about WPG but Goalie Shop will let you take new/used pads out on the ice to try them before you pay out the big bucks. Bought both Connor's and my pads that way, makes it easy for sure.

As far as refs go, we have had pretty good refs this year so far. At one tournament, the young refs didn't know the rule regarding goalies leaving the crease on shoot outs, but that's not a big deal in PW9 as far as I am concerned.

Good luck to all in EMHW!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Banned

I was at the Goalie shop. They didn't have his size. But I do like the idea of useing their ice.
Perhaps next time. As well I looked into those pad risers. Perhaps that may be a solution.

Last nights game was a disappointment. The kids just didn't show up. We lost 3-1. A improvement over the 6-3 loss earlier, but not a bunch of effort.
We were out shot 36-13. We gave away the puck 24 times in our zone. They gave it away 14 times.

I never know what team is going to show up. A review of the GO pro shows some serious lack of forwards in our zone. Backchecking is a town in China for most of our Fowards.

Jamie
Old 01-08-2014, 10:37 PM

Oh boy, do I know what you are saying about the back checking and give always tonight. We got out played bad, but by a much more physical and aggressive team. Our GT struggled and that wasn't good either. This game saw the worst refs we have had all year. Other team was very physical in front of their net including cross check, checking and a few whacks which didn't get called. I think the ref was fairly new and concentrated on the puck and missed all the restof the ice. Oh well coaches and players all learnt something tonight.

Bring on EMHW, hopefully the boys can raise their level of play and stick around for a while. Good luck to you all.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Banned

Yahooooo!!!!
Esso Minor starts for us tonight.
Over the years, I have found this tournament the toughest to win. Wierd things happen over this week. Teams that have no chance of winning seem to pop up and win games.

As to our chances, we have the best possible draw. We play teams up to the semi final that we have beat or had good games with. Who knows, we might get in a extra game or 2.

Will has been working hard at his World Pro lessons. I see they have moved him up the ladder as far as difficulty of drills.

It's going to be a great Weekend no matter what.

Good luck to everyone else. If your kid is playing in Bonavista or McCool, post up and we will try and make it. We are in Oakridge on Sat and Sunday.

Jamie
Old 01-11-2014, 11:55 AM

My young lad just turned 3 on the 8th of January. Hes been skating on hockey skates without any assistance since last winter and now is fully skating with the puck and stick on the backyard rink. I cant wait for the little turd to be old enough to start hockey.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRsMav View Post
My young lad just turned 3 on the 8th of January. Hes been skating on hockey skates without any assistance since last winter and now is fully skating with the puck and stick on the backyard rink. I cant wait for the little turd to be old enough to start hockey.
It takes forever to come and then goes by way to quick.
Get ready for a great ride!

Jamie
Old 01-11-2014, 09:31 PM

Hey Jamie, so how did the boys do today? Connor played awesome and stopped both shots in the shoot out, while we scored on the 1st and 3rd for a big win! Had really good refs today and McKnight played a really good game. Now we have Crowfoot tomorrow, last game against them was a gong show. So many of our kids played their best game so far this year. Really looking forward to tomorrow.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2guys View Post
Hey Jamie, so how did the boys do today? Connor played awesome and stopped both shots in the shoot out, while we scored on the 1st and 3rd for a big win! Had really good refs today and McKnight played a really good game. Now we have Crowfoot tomorrow, last game against them was a gong show. So many of our kids played their best game so far this year. Really looking forward to tomorrow.

Great on Connor! Now, you gota win them all. Not sure what i think about a single knock out after the first game. It sure ads to the pressure.

We played great for the first period. Up 2-0 and owening them. Then the 2nd started..........
Down3-2 after 2. Big battle in the 3rd but we couldnt get one in.
3-2 loss..
We took a stupid cross checking penalty with 2 minutes to go. I was just stunned. Kid who took it never takes penaltys. He just lost his nut i guess.
Solid game for Will, but not enough to win.
Tougher game tonight in Springbank.
Dealing with some respect issues towards coaches. I have given it the 24 hour rule, but am still extremly disapointed this AM. Its the second time this year it has happened directly to me and the 4th over all (same kid). I took the kid aside last time and that backfired when i ended up yelling.
I guess the adult thing to do is to confront him again and deal with the fall out.

Jamie
Old 01-12-2014, 12:30 PM

Keep the ESSO updates coming! Always one of my favorite times of year, especially when I was coaching
So Jamie, you guys are now on the B side?
Golden rule of minor hockey week- if you are going to lose a game, make it the first one

I feeling out of the loop with the bantam AAA's not participating in minor hockey week. I shall live through you guys this week.

Good luck all
Old 01-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Banned

Wink

Yes.. The B side.
Will it be Esso minor hockey week? Or Esso minor hockey weekend?
Should know 6 or 7 hours from now.

I as well love this Tourny. Never once had a sniff at winning.

Jamie
Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 PM

Well today didn't quite go as planned. Played Crowfoot again after playing them last Wednesday. Last week was a lopsided 8-2 loss, today was a much better game without the rough stuff, but we lost 6-4 ( they had an empty netter). No rough stuff today, a HC officials rep was at he game watching.

We are now on the B side and it's loss and we are done or as I like to say "time for a winning streak".
Old 01-12-2014, 06:45 PM

Novice 3 - Lost our first game yesterday but won our second game today, so it's another game Thursday. We were dominated yesterday and played a team closer to our level today. The smiles were huge today! They say winning doesn't matter but the kids are sure happier after a win.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Banned

Another quck exit.
Lost last night 3-1. Out shot 37-25.

Now we face the problem with Esso minor... No games for a week and a 1/2.

We just dont have the horse power to really compete at this level. The team has gotten better and Willy has been outstanding but all that does is keep us from getting really beat up on the scoreboard.

Since i was head coach last night, i told the boys following the game that they tried and we were not upset at them. But if we wanted to get better they needed to spend time on thier own getting better. We have on (and only one) forward that shot 500 pucks a night for 2 weeks straight. His shot and his timing have made him by far and away the best shooter on th team. I used him as a example, hopefully they listened.

I can feel it in myself that i am just becoming resigned to the fact we are what we are and perhaps the best way to move forward with this season is to just enjoy the time with the boys. But then my competitive side jumps up and says try harder, teach better and dont be a quiter.

Ahhhhh the joys of Minor sports.........

Jamie