Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2010, 09:19 AM

Default Any FinBore III auger owner here?

Hi all,
I bought this auger couple weeks ago. Kind of disappointed. FinBore III 6"
The top handler is not aligned straight down with the main blade.

As the picture above, the red line
- This makes the blade turn left/right as I drill down the hole
- I can not drill all the way down (cuz the top handler is not aligned straight with the blade), unless I hold my two hand and press down the bar. As the picture below, two red dots

btw, picture is a 8" model. Just for illustration.
Any tips of how to use this auger???
Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 AM

I have one of those. It's the best damn hand auger out there once you figure out how to use it correctly. I had the same problem when I first bought mine.

The handles are offset by design so that you can use both hands to crank the auger. This is where this auger shines. A tradional auger you have one hand cranking while the other holds the auger in place on the top.

You have to move both your left and right hand equally in a typicall auger cranking motion sorta in a opposite motion to turn the auger. You do not need to push down on it like a tradionally auger. The offset handles allow both hands to crank while keeping the auger shaft striaght. So focus on the cranking motion and don't work about putting alot of weight on it. It will drill down very easily.

I have a 8" and I can cut holes all day long by myself and I ain't a big man. You just need to get the hang of it. Pratice on a local drainge pond before heading out. Just ensure you don't hit bottom with the blades because once you dull them your screwed.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 AM

thanks man! I will give another try this weekend.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:37 PM

I just bought a 8" FBIII about 2 weeks ago and used the Ice master adaptor from bass proshops to hook it up to my 18V makita drill. drilled 15 holes out at Lower K on one battery. (8-12" of ice) think i could have drilled a few more but didnt need too.

it seriously is the best option I have seen.
Drill Auger Video on Lower K Lake
Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 PM

I saw bob izumi use one of those adapter dealies last year. Looks pretty slick!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:53 PM

who sells these adapters?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflyin View Post
who sells these adapters?
me guess bass pro. but i think they kind of out of ice fishing gears
Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 PM

If ur using an 8", invest in a decent 36 volt drill. Any ice thicker than this, and I would imagine the bushings in the drill will soon fry and the drill will start to smoke.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 PM

to be honest the drill is fine... i could totally be wrong but it has plenty of power to drill the holes. the makita 18V is a three speed and on the lowest speed it turns the auger perfectly (IMHO) I sharpen my blades to like new after every outing and you put almost NO downward pressure on the drill. the finbore III just shreads the ice beautifuly.. not saying a 36 woudlnt be better. but if used mine about 3 times drilling about 10-15 holes per go.. no issue at all.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:32 AM

I wonder how well the cordless drill idea would work on about 2 feet of ice? I want to try one out with a 6" finbore III and I have just a ryobi 18V lithium drill. It has 2 speeds but I wonder if 2 feet of ice might be too much. Anyone tried more that 12" of ice?
Old 02-12-2010, 04:23 PM

the only problem I have had with my FBIII is I find the handle a bit soft I have had to straighten it out a couple times. sometimes on that last crank before breaking through I have had it snub up on me and I have to give it a couple good jerks to finish the hole.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:52 PM

I use one of the 6" unit's at work for drilling holes in ice brides up North for ice strength testing. I have 3 set's of blades that are two day's old but could use a little TLC ( River ice is a little hard on them) We change them every 3 to 4m of ice we drill through, so if anyone want's them with the bolt's they are yours for free. By the way these augers cut like mad when they are used right!