Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 AM

Default Sheep Hunting 101

Well, me and the old man are going on our first every sheep hunt this September We're starting to plan it out and have no idea on what to pack.. From camo, gear, to rifles.. We're going with 4 other guys and they've went before, so they have horses, tents, and all that stuff for camp. Any tips on gear, and hunting itself would be really helpful and much appreciated!
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 01-28-2012, 12:03 PM

Get use to using a spotting scope and spend a ton of time spotting in your local area or better yet in the high country.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:43 PM

Good boots are everything. They can make or break a hunt very fast
Old 01-28-2012, 12:54 PM

clothing for cold and warm weather..the mountains can be a twisted woman when they want to be
Old 01-28-2012, 02:50 PM

Good Boots,glass, comfy backpack, light warm sleeping bag, good rain gear are good places to start.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:11 PM

You should be ready to look for hours way ahead of you so good 8 power or more with eye relief for bino's.. a good light weight spotting scope with tripod as you will be using this alot .. a pack sack quite kind that can double as a seat helps, small water bottles and a pack that can double as a meat packer.good water proof lite weight broken in boots 2 pair etc socks change every 4 hrs if walking.layers of cloths some wind and rainproof but breathable..compass and latest maps of area to hunt, google earth pic too. set of good walking sticks most important if you want to save your knees and falls,

There are some good post too just do a search on planning sheep hunts i read a few that were Awesome and had the best advice you can get and down to every detail..

Food for Thought
David
Old 01-28-2012, 03:24 PM

This thread should help you out a bit.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=40684
Old 01-28-2012, 04:55 PM

Talk Sheephunter into taking you out. At his advanced age, he might appreciate a hand, going up the hills.

Grizz
Old 01-28-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
Well, me and the old man are going on our first every sheep hunt this September We're starting to plan it out and have no idea on what to pack.. From camo, gear, to rifles.. We're going with 4 other guys and they've went before, so they have horses, tents, and all that stuff for camp. Any tips on gear, and hunting itself would be really helpful and much appreciated!
rubber boots and velcro gloves.

sorry Chad, I couldn't resist.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Good rain gear, boots and optics. Don't cheap out on any of it, nothing worse than sore, blistered feet and eyes that feel like they're on fire from looking through poor optics.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-28-2012, 05:55 PM

Read Tony Russ's book on sheep hunting. You will learn lots, not just about sheep behaviour ad tactics, but also about gear/food value/nutrition. (Link below)

Yours in good Hunt'n,

CH

http://www.amazon.com/Sheep-Hunting-...7798523&sr=8-1
Old 01-28-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
Read Tony Russ's book on sheep hunting. You will learn lots, not just about sheep behaviour ad tactics, but also about gear/food value/nutrition. (Link below)

Yours in good Hunt'n,

CH

Ya, that is a good read for sure. Time I flipped through it again.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post

Yours in good Hunt'n,

CH

X2
Old 01-29-2012, 12:22 PM

I already have some Irish Setter 600 Gram boots.. They should work? What about for camo? KUIU, Sitka....?
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Old 01-29-2012, 03:51 PM

Some guys wear camo, some don't. I personally wear wool pants and wool shirts with merino wool under layers. I've tried the synthetic stuff and wool beats it hands down in my opinion.

As far as boots, have you ever hiked in steep stuff with them? There are good boots out there for hunting in rolling country that won't stand up in the mountains. I use Kenetrek's and my feet don't hurt after a day of hiking.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-29-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
As far as boots, have you ever hiked in steep stuff with them? There are good boots out there for hunting in rolling country that won't stand up in the mountains. I use Kenetrek's and my feet don't hurt after a day of hiking.
My first trip to the mountains for sheep was an eye opener for boot quality. Bought some Danners montana hunters early, broke em in good before the hunt, and the mountains ate them up and spit them out. Have never had so many blisters on my feet. The mountains are so different to the big hills before you get to the mountains. Toughed through it all but will definatly be taking a different approach next time.

ruger300
Old 01-29-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
My first trip to the mountains for sheep was an eye opener for boot quality. Bought some Danners montana hunters early, broke em in good before the hunt, and the mountains ate them up and spit them out. Have never had so many blisters on my feet. The mountains are so different to the big hills before you get to the mountains. Toughed through it all but will definatly be taking a different approach next time.

ruger300
My first real mountain hunt was the same way. School of hard knocks I say.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-29-2012, 05:29 PM

Can't remember if it was this pair of boots... Or my Rocky's but I climbed mountains with them on our Gym 30 trip in Jasper... I bet good pairs of socks would help too eh?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
Can't remember if it was this pair of boots... Or my Rocky's but I climbed mountains with them on our Gym 30 trip in Jasper... I bet good pairs of socks would help too eh?
You know it.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA