Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-22-2012, 10:17 PM

Default Do you want us/not want us ???????

I'm a man from Arkansas that has so much to be thankful for. I'm so fortunate as my family has a lot. I own many acres of land, my family owns banks, and I have many, many good friends. However, I feel most fortunate when I visit Alberta each year on my yearly excursion for whitetails. I'm tellin' ya folks, I live in God's country down here, but each year I venture North into your land I feel as if I am closer to God. You guys have so much- A vast array of wildlife, beautiful scenery, and great people. I think we all take our surroundings for granted, but each time I visit your Alberta I am reminded how lucky I am and it makes me a better person. My question is this: Does the general population want the nonresident hunters? I know this is an asset to the local economies, but is it worth it to the average Albertan to have us? The reason I ask this is because I know how it makes people where I'm from have people from "off" come hunt our lands.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 PM

Personally I don't disagree with it
Old 09-22-2012, 10:25 PM

I for one have never given it much thought as far as "entitlement " goes.
To me, if a person wants to travel to hunt, get after it, and they will always be welcome at my camp as long as they are courteous and respectful of wildlife.
We met an old guy , 75 years old, from ( IIRC)Utah last year, him and his Pudelpointer.

He has been coming to Canada for 40 years to hunt ducks
" I only shoot green heads though, I don't likem them little teal ducks, to danged fast and too small!" He told me!
he has shot them all over the U.S. and Canada, fine old fella, for sure.
I love meeting people like that.........

Cat
Old 09-22-2012, 10:25 PM

I live in a tourist community, we survive on tourist economy. That aside, people from other places have other ideas and techniques to hunt fish and well do many things. For me, it's great. I enjoy meetin people from other places share stores and make new friends who one day may in turn be host in their back yard.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 PM

I have no problem with non residents coming to hunt in Alberta, unless Alberta residents lose hunting opportunities as a result.Unfortunately, is is now quite common to have a tax paying Alberta resident waiting many years to draw a tag to hunt a specific species in his own province, while a non resident can use an outfitter's allocation to hunt that species in Alberta every year. I don't blame the non resident hunters for this, I blame our government, and APOS, since they have caused this situation.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 PM

Where I hunt I have got to know a guide and have met some of his clients over the years. It's a northern crown land zone. Sometimes it ****es me off to come around a corner and see a new tower stand where i wanted to watch. Over the years I have talked to a lot of americans in their stand and even kept a few warm in my truck while they wait for their guide. I expected some to be mad when i quad by the tower stand. Not one so far. They all said it was ok, it was known that we residents hunt there too. I have the advantage as I know my area and one spot on a cutline taken does not wreck my hunt. I have met so many different gents every november, all have been more then nice and we get to chat about what we both enjoy, hunting. Most cant get over how wild it is where they are and that there is crown land for as far as the eye can see. It doesnt bother me if you come to hunt alberta, i say welcome.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:49 PM

All very welcoming responses here so far. Glad to see that, my only hope is that when you all come down to the states, people show you the warm welcome too! That said, see you all in a week for a little free lance duck hunting.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Banned

Truck full of 20~somethings with more cans than ammo - not so much.

Respectable / respectful people of any age that treat the land and people right, welcome any time!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:57 PM

Follow the rules, be respectful of locals, have a good time. I love meeting new clients every year. It doesn't matter if there from Arkansa or Africa, where all hunters
Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 PM

Default welcome to the country

I have no problem with fellow hunters from anywhere. for we are all family and nothing netter than sitting at the fire. Just as good friends and great times. for we show the beauty in our country and take great pride in the way we preserve our land. For as we are the hunters of the north. we to or our best conservationist. so come on over great hunter from the south put a log on the fire and come sit with us by the fire.for tomorrow we hunt.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:08 PM

I'd want the respect if I hunted in Arkansas. So all for it! Thanks for enjoying our country. I've enjoyed yours! Demo

Old 09-22-2012, 11:16 PM

anyone who is as respectful as you seem by your post is ok in my books, in my opinion I welcome you more then the small percentage of "yahoo" resident hunters we have in Alberta.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have no problem with non residents coming to hunt in Alberta, unless Alberta residents lose hunting opportunities as a result.Unfortunately, is is now quite common to have a tax paying Alberta resident waiting many years to draw a tag to hunt a specific species in his own province, while a non resident can use an outfitter's allocation to hunt that species in Alberta every year. I don't blame the non resident hunters for this, I blame our government, and APOS, since they have caused this situation.
I agree with this 100%. Residents should come before non-residents as you the residents and landowners are the ones who manage the wildlife, not the government or APOS. Those two outfits are just like ours, they're looking out for the dime.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 AM

Smile Plenty to go around

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattNight View Post
I'm a man from Arkansas that has so much to be thankful for. I'm so fortunate as my family has a lot. I own many acres of land, my family owns banks, and I have many, many good friends. However, I feel most fortunate when I visit Alberta each year on my yearly excursion for whitetails. I'm tellin' ya folks, I live in God's country down here, but each year I venture North into your land I feel as if I am closer to God. You guys have so much- A vast array of wildlife, beautiful scenery, and great people. I think we all take our surroundings for granted, but each time I visit your Alberta I am reminded how lucky I am and it makes me a better person. My question is this: Does the general population want the nonresident hunters? I know this is an asset to the local economies, but is it worth it to the average Albertan to have us? The reason I ask this is because I know how it makes people where I'm from have people from "off" come hunt our lands.
I DONT have a problem with it plenty of game and scenery for everyone to enjoy.Thanks for asking
Old 09-23-2012, 06:56 AM

I think that many hunters in Alberta are unhappy about the way the allocations are divided up. It is frustrating to know that a non-resident can buy tags every year for game animals that we have to wait for. We don't have the option as residents to jump the queue and pay a premium to hunt those animals year in and year out. That is not your issue however and I believe that most residents in Alberta blame the government for this and not the individual hunter.

One aspect that you might or not be aware of, is that some of these outfitters/guides that non-residents use are trying to make it difficult for residents to hunt in the same areas that we have a right to hunt. To have a guide walk into a hunt camp and tell a group of resident hunters that they should move to a different area because they are messing up his clients' hunt is not a good way to improve relations.

I have absolutely no problem with you coming to Alberta to hunt. You are completely within your right to hunt here and by coming here, you do inject money into our economy. You seem like a very respectful person and I am betting by your post that you are a very respectful hunter as well. Respectful hunters are always welcome in my hunt camp regardless of what Country you are from. We as hunters, need to have a comradery and respect for each other if we want to keep our sport alive in North America.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Bow View Post
Truck full of 20~somethings with more cans than ammo - not so much.

Respectable / respectful people of any age that treat the land and people right, welcome any time!
Those are probably locals...

As far as the non-resident tags via outfitters go I understand the frustration but think it brings more $'s to the communities which provides a tangible benefit to all. Not just the resident drawn for the hunt. Both residents and non pump cash in but non-residents do more of it and I've found as others here are respectful.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:31 AM

Smile I think they are great

We have lots of opportunities to hunt and a few new friends is always a good idea.

Be safe and have fun.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
As far as the non-resident tags via outfitters go I understand the frustration but think it brings more $'s to the communities which provides a tangible benefit to all. Not just the resident drawn for the hunt. Both residents and non pump cash in but non-residents do more of it and I've found as others here are respectful.
In some cases you are correct, and in some cases you are incorrect. If the non residents are put up in hotels, and eat at local establishments, the community does get some added income. However, many outfitters provide their own lodging for hunters, as in tent camps, and they purchase most of their supplies outside of the local communities, so the local community sees very little extra income. On the other hand, many Alberta residents travel substantial distances, and stay in hotels, and purchase meals and supplies locally, so in many cases, they actually contribute more to the local economy than many outfitted non residents.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:43 AM

I think the mulies, antelope and moose should be saved for resisdents. Out of towers can go for anything else.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:03 AM

Hey it's all about respect. As a visitor, you respect the locals, their traditions, their critters and yes their women and you will be welcomed back. The money people bring in is a given. The problem I have is pushy Outfitters pushing locals out to accommodated their business interests and that brings hard feelings and the "Imports" bare the brunt of this frustration.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
Personally I don't disagree with it
x2
as well start paying a camera and video tax for filming and then making money on the hunt shows and videos most of the non resident hunter make, eat what you shoot, if our beef isn't good enough for yall why should our wildlife be ?????
Old 09-23-2012, 08:24 AM

as others have said it is government regualations that pxx them off. Outfitters and guides should have no more rights than the local hunter. I can see it coming with private land and lease land that soon only paid guides will have access to many of those areas. money talks even money under the table.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattNight View Post
The reason I ask this is because I know how it makes people where I'm from have people from "off" come hunt our lands.
Trust me , that same sentiment exists here too, although not so much on a personal level. Most of the resentment here is directed at our own government which often sells its own long term residents short on many things.

I cannot agree that it is the right policy to enable a rich non-resident to be able to harvest a bull moose every year in Alberta when I have to wait 3-4 years between hunts where I go during rifle season. I think you will find most long time Alberta residents very hospitable and sharing but they are also very fair minded and in many cases not inline with our governments position.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Could not agree with you more EH11 and your post #18, when Alberta starts eliminating my opprotunities to hunt in my own province it needs to start looking at eliminating the opportunities of non resident hunters also. I do not mind non resident hunters coming to Alberta at all but when hunting opportunities are being cut for residents it needs to be adjusted also for non residents.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:34 AM

The only problem I have is some outfitters coming in and offering the farmer something for exclusive hunting rights to their land! Places that are usually accessible are now off limits because some outfitter has his clients on it! I know it is illegal to offer money or gifts to secure hunting priveledges but It is going on under the table!!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 AM

Default do you want us

Personnally, I don't blame you for wanting to come up and hunt here. What really bothers me is the way APOS keeps turning a blind eye to he way some of there members conduct there outfitting businesses. Because of that, I would like to see our provincial government put much stricter regulations in place for nonresidents and outfitters. Problem is, the government doesn't seem to give a **** about the way our wildlife is managed. If I had to say yes or no about non resident hunting, I would say NO. Not unless the outfitters could be strictly monitored and dealt with accordingly. Non residents should have to wait for their chances just like the rest of us do. The resident Albertans should have first crack at their own resources, maybe letting non residents hunt the last 2 weeks of the season if anything, and only in specified areas like the northern bush country.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:39 AM

Come on up little buddy. Respect the land, the locals and treat people how yo wanna be treated and leave all the elk for me!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 AM

Default do you want us

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPPER92 View Post
The only problem I have is some outfitters coming in and offering the farmer something for exclusive hunting rights to their land! Places that are usually accessible are now off limits because some outfitter has his clients on it! I know it is illegal to offer money or gifts to secure hunting priveledges but It is going on under the table!!
Exactly!! These kind of practices are going on here around our area. Amisk. Sections of prime property are secured by an outfitter and the people who live right here cannot get access. Thank you very much Alberta River Valley Outfitters! Having 10000 acres of "private" land to hunt on, without resident competition sure is nice, isn't it.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 AM

If your Arkansas whitetail tags were on a draw with a wait time measured in years for residents while your State government auctioned tags on the side to local businessmen who then re-sold them to Albertans who were thus able to come to Arkansas whenever they wanted and hunt those famous Arkansas whitetail deer because they have more money than you do, how would you feel?

OR, how about if we could come to Arkansas and hunt land that you cannot hunt because we deal through a broker called an "outfitter" and that broker pays the landowners to keep you and other residents off and let us hunt.

That's the way it is up here for prime sheep tags and that's the way it is up here for a lot of prime whitetail country.

You tell me - how would you feel about all that?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
That's the way it is up here for prime sheep tags
Huh?