Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 PM

Default This time last year on the NSR...

This time last year I was brand new to fishing in Alberta, and brand new to river fishing. Since the river was (and still is) my closest option to fish I spent a reasonable amount of time on it but at first had a real rough time with it. I really came to dislike the river at one point

Thanks to this forum and some of the great people on it that's completely turned around and I've become a big fan of fishing on the river. BBJ (who is a wicked guy) really got me going in the beginning and finally got me over my skunk on the river...and did it by giving me the assist on a sturgeon the very first time I met him

Since then I've fished with quite a few others on the river, both learning new spots and techniques and sharing what I've learned with others, and it's always worked out well

Since I've learned my way around it the river has been quite good to me...lots of pike this spring, and a few random walleye here and there...and of course there are the goldeye...

And then there's the sheer randomness of the river...you can catch almost anything in there. Today I went out specifically targeting these guys:

And SURPRISE! This guy shows up

So, for those of you who fish it, let's hear some NSR stories

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geezle; 07-12-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: typo in title
Old 07-12-2010, 09:07 PM

Well, I don't really have any stories to share myself. But I just want to take a moment and thank you for all the help you've given me over the last year fishing.

I was a brand new fisherman and I was lucky to have met a great angler who took time and helped me out. From the most basic stuff like explaining to me what a pickerel rig is, to using the right type of bait, and showing me many different techniques of fishing. As well as helping me catch, land and successful lyrelease my first fish!

So, thanks again for all your help Jay. Maybe I'll see you sometime soon on the river!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 PM

no pics but the biggest walleye I have ever caught was out of the NSR. 9 pounds, caught it right where the sturgeon flows in to the NSR.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:30 PM

Dang Jay you are killing me. Looks like I got the next couple weekends tied up.
Going to try and free up some time in the evening soon. Hope you can show me how its done.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:32 PM

its been fun down there goofing around and fishing. have to get everyone together again and have a bbq or something.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 PM

I think this sums it up

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=56403

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
This time last year I was brand new to fishing in Alberta, and brand new to river fishing. Since the river was (and still is) my closest option to fish I spent a reasonable amount of time on it but at first had a real rough time with it. I really came to dislike the river at one point

Thanks to this forum and some of the great people on it that's completely turned around and I've become a big fan of fishing on the river. BBJ (who is a wicked guy) really got me going in the beginning and finally got me over my skunk on the river...and did it by giving me the assist on a sturgeon the very first time I met him

Since then I've fished with quite a few others on the river, both learning new spots and techniques and sharing what I've learned with others, and it's always worked out well

Since I've learned my way around it the river has been quite good to me...lots of pike this spring, and a few random walleye here and there...and of course there are the goldeye...

And then there's the sheer randomness of the river...you can catch almost anything in there. Today I went out specifically targeting these guys:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhoof View Post
Well, I don't really have any stories to share myself. But I just want to take a moment and thank you for all the help you've given me over the last year fishing.

I was a brand new fisherman and I was lucky to have met a great angler who took time and helped me out. From the most basic stuff like explaining to me what a pickerel rig is, to using the right type of bait, and showing me many different techniques of fishing. As well as helping me catch, land and successful lyrelease my first fish!

So, thanks again for all your help Jay. Maybe I'll see you sometime soon on the river!
Fella's ive missed you at the spot , when the hell are you coming to join me and Lino , and Coady .
Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post

Quote:

Fella's ive missed you at the spot , when the hell are you coming to join me and Lino , and Coady .If this crappy rain and stormyness would give a guy a break .
Old 07-13-2010, 08:43 AM

Two months ago in the Henday Bridge vicinity a 41 inch 21 pound pike, thats the NSR for ya!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:

I'm sure you've got a story or two...how about that big ol pike you hugged last time I took you down to the river?

And I'm a very far cry from being a 'great angler' but thanks for the ego boost anyway

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Dang Jay you are killing me. Looks like I got the next couple weekends tied up.
Going to try and free up some time in the evening soon. Hope you can show me how its done.
Just let me know when you've got a couple free hours and we'll make something happen

How long have you been back for?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
its been fun down there goofing around and fishing. have to get everyone together again and have a bbq or something.
That's a wicked idea Kev, I'm in!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 07-13-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Fella's ive missed you at the spot , when the hell are you coming to join me and Lino , and Coady .If this crappy rain and stormyness would give a guy a break .
Sorry John, honestly the only reason I haven't come out that way lately is because I've found so many other spots closer to home, and with the limited time I've had recently, less driving means more fishing I promise you I'll come out there soon and be sociable again though I've been hearing from Lino on average at least once a week wanting me to come out but I always seem to be busy on those days. I'm also not working in the Park anymore, so I'm not driving past regularly.

Speaking of crappy stormyness, yesterday it was kinda gross when I went out, but it wasn't raining much...just a few sprinkles here and there. Then it started raining harder and I put on my rain coat and fished a little longer and got that surprise pike. Then I decided to pack it in and head up out of the valley...well the path that I came down was now a small, very muddy, waterfall and I biffed and slid at least 20' down the hill on my arse! Got a good laugh at myself out of that one Of course now the inside of my Jeep is almost as muddy as that hill was!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 07-13-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Bwahahaha never a dull moment!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 07-13-2010, 02:39 PM

Default Pike about a foot from shore

Hello Guys & Gals,

I was fishing in the NSR for the first time about 3 weeks ago by the Henday bridge. I had a spoon & was targeting pike. After reeling in my line and NO LESS than a FOOT from shore a massive pike rose up and snatched my lure! He took it for a good run and I reeled him in and set the guy free. ....No less than a mere foot from shore!...

I learned that the river holds some great action & also that it isn't "game over" untill your hook is out of the water!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need More Fish'n time View Post
Hello Guys & Gals,

I was fishing in the NSR for the first time about 3 weeks ago by the Henday bridge. I had a spoon & was targeting pike. After reeling in my line and NO LESS than a FOOT from shore a massive pike rose up and snatched my lure! He took it for a good run and I reeled him in and set the guy free. ....No less than a mere foot from shore!...

I learned that the river holds some great action & also that it isn't "game over" untill your hook is out of the water!
About a week and a half ago I was down at my pike spot, and was reeling in my spinnerbait...right when I was lifting the hook out of the water a pike came flying out of nowhere, up out of the water, and grabbed the hook. Scared the bejesus out of me and I almost landed in the river with the pike

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 07-13-2010, 03:49 PM

I do my majority NSR fishing in the inner city limits and parks. I have to admit when you are so close to iron and steel buildings its something else to haul in a large walleye or whatever off your fly rod that may of never seen a human life before. Ive latched on to wallets, sex toys, you name it coming out of the river. In the last couple years I tend to make sure I make it home before dark as the night people come out (ever since I have seen "I am Legend" by Will Smith I think twice about staying). Last week I was by myself casting away when someone crawled out of the bushes wanting to take his nightly bath. Sometimes I feel like i'm fishing in someones back yard.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:58 PM

jay come down to the hole i wanna hit it tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:40 PM

Default pike close

This I have found this in lot of different types of fish species .These fish are close to shore and sometime casting out far in the river you are overfishing alot of fish some of my best fish has been close to shore. Remember fish will take the path of least resistance. I have had the best fishing for salmon in Bc rivers just a couple feet from shore. Cast out far zip. All fish finning next to shore. Alot of times they are where you least expect them.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
jay come down to the hole i wanna hit it tomorrow.
Man, I would but tonight I'm heading out to Calling lake with thorne

I did manage to get down there for a while with BBJ a couple days ago and pulled out another surprise pike though Didn't have my cam handy so I just sent him on his way

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams