Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 PM

Default Fishing near jackfish lake, SK

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has been fishing around Jackfish lake, SK. Im heading there in August and was planning on doing some fishing. I have heard on other forums that Jackfish itself isnt great fishing really shallow and weedy. Not sure if this is true but I will be bringing my boat out there and dont mind driving a bit, so if anyone know the area or has any advise as to where to go it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 PM

Either go thru the creek or launch at Cochin and head into Murray Lake. Head east and south, will pass a farm on a point, just past there along the east side of the lake are some dandy weedbeds where you can catch some decent sized pike. Also can troll there and may latch into a walleye. Heading south you will see what we call an island. Will see boats around it, can catch the odd walleye and lots of pike there as well. Or across from the weedbeds you will see a bunch of cabins up in the hills. Troll out front of them for pike and walleye. Walleye are hit and miss but last year the local minister's wife pulled out an 8 lber and rumours this year of a few 5 lb walleyes coming out. Biggest pike I have seen caught there is 25 lbs.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:15 PM

Does anyone know if there are any lakes with Lake Trout in this area, Im generally a walley guy but I bought a bunch of lake trout gear last year and never got a chance to put it to use.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 PM

CLosest I can think of would be up in Meadow Lake Provincial park.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 AM

there is a good boat launch at Cochin on to Murray Lake which is a lot better fishing than Jackfish. Have latched on to some big pike there. There is good Walleye fishing at Little Loon Lake east of Glaslyn, which is about 30 mins North of Cochin.
http://www.saskregionalparks.ca/parksDisplay.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Murray Lake.jpg (95.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Little Loon.jpg (151.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-15-2010, 01:51 PM

grew up in north battleford.

best walleye lake within about 1hr is meeting lake. from NB it is about 45mins northeast.
If you are a bit more adventurous there is a real gem tucked in the bush about 1/2 hr east of Mayfair. Mistawasis lake. locals call it Sandy Lake.
Its about 4 miles long and a couple miles wide. loaded with pike and walleye. Its a dirt road from Mayfair. If you're in the area you should really try to get there..........IF you ask any local fisherman they will point you in the right direction.

Good luck. PS Keep your truck locked and nail EVERYTHING down around cochin ocean.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Good luck. PS Keep your truck locked and nail EVERYTHING down around cochin ocean.[/QUOTE]

Thats funny but so true....I have a cabin on jackfish in cochin and board it up like fort nox when not there.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:57 PM

Poor Turtle know what you mean. Friend has a cabin at Cochin. Fort Knox is an understatement.