Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2019, 05:00 PM

Default Bashaw Sports Robbed Today

Bashaw Sports was robbed early this morning.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/central-...CqA1Pe9RlLo1ro
Old 12-07-2019, 05:07 PM

Bloody cretins. You'd think that in a quaint little place like Bashaw that a row of protective steel bollards would be unnecessary in front of a business, but sadly that's not the case.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:37 PM

Sounds like the same type of method used at Magnum guns a couple years ago, in and out in under 3 minutes with 40 or 50 guns and piles of ammo, but probably they all had a PAL so it's OK, watch on the gun sites could be a bunch of NIB guns for sale soon

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Bloody cretins. You'd think that in a quaint little place like Bashaw that a row of protective steel bollards would be unnecessary in front of a business, but sadly that's not the case.
Obviously, they are unnecessary. They didn't do any good, did they?
Old 12-08-2019, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Obviously, they are unnecessary. They didn't do any good, did they?
They probably didn’t have them, they didn’t the last time I was there (probably at least 3 years back). My point being that even peaceful little hamlets are not immune to the scourge of vehicle-ramming thieves.

The other tragedy here s that even if the criminals responsible get caught, they’ll likely not get much in term of punishment, and the cycle will continue... all while responsible gun owners get persecuted and perhaps even their possessions seized. Utterly ludicrous.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
They probably didn’t have them, they didn’t the last time I was there (probably at least 3 years back). My point being that even peaceful little hamlets are not immune to the scourge of vehicle-ramming thieves.

The other tragedy here s that even if the criminals responsible get caught, they’ll likely not get much in term of punishment, and the cycle will continue... all while responsible gun owners get persecuted and perhaps even their possessions seized. Utterly ludicrous.
No, there were no bollards (steel posts). Just barred front windows. Hope they didn't cause too much damage to that ancient building. Might not be repairable given it's age. Bashaw gets more than it's share of criminal activity, being close to Red Deer. Pud's been trying to retire, crap like this, he doesn't need.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:18 AM

thieves really suck. Bashaw Sports, P&D, and Prophet River are my go to shops. Cabelas is a waste of time, and I only rarely buy gun stuff at my local Canadian Tire. I really hope Pud repairs the store because he stocks a lot of really good firearms and accessories. great little store, and Pud is a top notch character.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:07 AM

Hopefully they can repair the damage quickly, so it doesn't hurt business too bad. I was just in Friday to do some Christmas shopping for myself, and pick up my calender , they have some great deal on now on firearms. As for the scumbag thieves, even if they are caught, they will get a slap on the wrist, and be right back at crime. If they want tougher firearms laws make the theft of a firearm a five year mandatory offence, and enforce it.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Awful to hear that. I was planning on dropping by yesterday too. I feel awful for Pud. Hopefully the damage to the building isn’t too bad.

And you’re right about an increase in crime in the area. Stettler source for sports had a couple break ins with guns being stolen over the last year or so too.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:08 AM

I was there last Wednesday for the very first time. Really neat place , reminded me of old time sporting goods stores. He had everything I needed to reload my 444 Marlin. He was a neat character for sure.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's the reverse. Remoteness and slow police respond times makes them a soft target. Want to see ballsyness ? Right on Main street.

http://www.ckfm.ca/news/local-news/s...ocal-business/

Grizz
Old 12-08-2019, 02:31 PM

Love that store. Very sorry this happened to them. Hopefully the perps get caught...
Old 12-08-2019, 03:28 PM

Sad times for small business in all of rural Alberta. Big Game sports in Stettler has been hit twice in one year with the smash and grab tactics, and about two weeks ago the NAPA dealer in Stettler got the same treatment. GTI in Eckville got the same drive through customers in the early morning hours just recently. And I am sure there are more that I am not aware of.
There was a recent announcement that several million $$$ were going to be added to policing budgets to address rural crime. I doubt it will make any difference to the activities of the criminals who's targets are local businesses like Pud's Bashaw Sports or the other ones just mentioned.
Having been through similar circumstances in the past, it's more than just an inconvenience or the cost of doing business, it's rape.
These guys need your help to get them back on their feet. Help them out with your support, Buy local. David.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:29 PM

Are they re-opened? Would love to stop buy and make some purchases to help support them. I got Schultz blood in me so the town of Bashaw will always be a special place.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:33 PM

From what little I can see of the faces in the photos, they appear the police will have to do their job.

Last edited by threeforthree; 12-09-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:50 PM

And the courts will do nothing to stop these scumbags, a baseball bat across the knees would be much cheaper, and much more effective, at least they wouldn't be moving as fast afterward.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And the courts will do nothing to stop these scumbags, a baseball bat across the knees would be much cheaper, and much more effective, at least they wouldn't be moving as fast afterward.
Hard to do more smash and grabs with your dominant hand missing!
Old 12-10-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Actually, it's the reverse. Remoteness and slow police respond times makes them a soft target. Want to see ballsyness ? Right on Main street.

http://www.ckfm.ca/news/local-news/s...ocal-business/

Grizz
The police live right in town and saw the vehicles speeding away from reports. These people don’t care, they’re hopped up on meth and feel invincible. The cops could have been parked just down the street, and they still would have done it.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 12-10-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
Sad times for small business in all of rural Alberta. Big Game sports in Stettler has been hit twice in one year with the smash and grab tactics, and about two weeks ago the NAPA dealer in Stettler got the same treatment. GTI in Eckville got the same drive through customers in the early morning hours just recently. And I am sure there are more that I am not aware of.
There was a recent announcement that several million $$$ were going to be added to policing budgets to address rural crime. I doubt it will make any difference to the activities of the criminals who's targets are local businesses like Pud's Bashaw Sports or the other ones just mentioned.
Having been through similar circumstances in the past, it's more than just an inconvenience or the cost of doing business, it's rape.
These guys need your help to get them back on their feet. Help them out with your support, Buy local. David.
Definitely buy local. We’re gonna start seeing big cement barriers in front of every shop to stop this crap.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 12-10-2019, 05:55 PM
Banned

I wouldn’t mind viewing the video footage. I heard it was a Caucasian male dressed up like Aladdin and if it was, I can identify the suspect.