Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 05:15 PM

Default Outdoor Edge knives.

Has anybody had any luck resharpening the Outdoor Edge replacement blade knives? Bought on today for a buddy, and am curious if it can be done to extend blade life? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:43 PM

Resharpening the blades kind of defeats the purpose of having replaceable blades. If you still want to sharpen I would buy a quality knife.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Resharpening the blades kind of defeats the purpose of having replaceable blades. If you still want to sharpen I would buy a quality knife.
No, not really. They still serve a purpose. Not everyone can afford to, or wants to spend a lot of money on a good knife. This is one of the better places to “cheap out” either temporarily or permanently. I’d rather spend money on the rifle and optics. The knife can come later.

In response to the original question, yes, you can sharpen them. I have actually never thrown one away. I can normally get 2 deer out of one before I need to sharpen them. But if they do go dull in the field, change it. But hang on to the dull one.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:13 PM

They are actually quite easy to sharpen.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:25 PM

I run mine through a pocket sharpener all the time. Not as sharp as replacement blade but will help in a pinch. My OE is all I use anymore.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:37 PM

Have a couple of these. I’ve used a sharpener a couple times but as said, defeats the purpose of a replaceable blade knife. Depending on how much hair i have to cut through is the determining factor of how sharp it stays. If I just cut through minimal hair I can get it to last a lot longer. You try cutting a bison and it fills up fast. It will still peel the hide back and cut the meat but is a lot slower.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy View Post
They are actually quite easy to sharpen.
Four strokes and the disposable blade is popping sharp.

https://www.latulippe.com/en/product...yABEgKDU_D_BwE

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:31 PM

I never throw mine out, if they dull I slide them into a Gatorade bottle in my pack, once I get home I wash them and store in the gun room. Once hunting season is over I sharpen them, definitely get two to three sharpens out of them.

I don’t waste my time in the field sharpening tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2019, 09:10 PM
Shooting Xs

A few passes on each side of a hand held steel to re-dress the edge.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:02 PM

I use a steel and they get an edge back quickly.

LC
Old 12-11-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask Bearman View Post
I run mine through a pocket sharpener all the time. Not as sharp as replacement blade but will help in a pinch. My OE is all I use anymore.
I find the same results also.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask Bearman View Post
I have a little pocket sized diamond rod and I can get them just as sharp. I also put them in to my lansky sharpening set up if they are really bad. You can get them back every bit as good, if not a little better than factory with very little effort. And they do hold an edge pretty decent. Granted they aren’t the best knife out there but they work very well.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
No, not really. They still serve a purpose. Not everyone can afford to, or wants to spend a lot of money on a good knife. This is one of the better places to “cheap out” either temporarily or permanently. I’d rather spend money on the rifle and optics. The knife can come later.

In response to the original question, yes, you can sharpen them. I have actually never thrown one away. I can normally get 2 deer out of one before I need to sharpen them. But if they do go dull in the field, change it. But hang on to the dull one.
You can buy a Buck 110 with SV30 steel for the same price as the Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife and it is a far better knife in almost all respects. That said, like everyone else has said, the replaceable blades are no problem to re-sharpen. I use a Piranta for caping and doing detail work on eyes, lips, knuckles etc. because they work so well for fine work. If the blade gets dull in use I put in a new one, but sharpen the dull ones in a batch of three or four.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:54 AM

Good knife if you are not good a sharpening a blade and OK for capeing. I personally would never waste my effort resharpening the blades. If I was going to do that I would buy a good custom blade that was worth my effort sharpening and held an edge through multiple deer.

Personally I have a 5 inch custom fixed blade for most work. Rough skinning I use a olfa knife blades are much cheaper then the outdoor edge, and detail capeing I use a scalpel

Outdoor edge is still a decent knife but it falls short in some fashion on each task compared to the combination I use instead