Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 07:25 PM

Lightbulb Backyard workshop build - what did i forget to consider?

We've saved up some fundage and we're going to build a backyard workshop.
Not intended to bring a vehicle into.

12'x18' is what we're constrained to. I'll make up some squarefootage with carport style structure coming out the front for about another 16'.
It will be used year-round.

Considerations so far:
Will have a front rollup door 6'w x 7'h that I'll fit rigid styro over for winter insulation.
Will have 36" mandoor.
Atleast two opening windows.
Wire for 240V.
Wire 20A plugs about every 4'.
Wire a 50A covered plug on the outside for welder. (Don't have one, just future consideration.
8' 2x4 walls. (bylaw will allow for 9' 10" walls).
Open rafters instead of truss to keep open height.
Beefed up rafters in one place for a skyhook.
I'll use led shop lights of some sort.
Sprayfoam the floor, walls, roof.
It'll be wood floor. (that's why welder plug is outside).
I haven't figurdd out if it's worth running nat gas or not. One of those small direct vent heaters might be nice.

Any comments, advice, tips appreicated, (except for build bigger, i would if i could)

Cheers!
Old 12-08-2019, 07:47 PM

Nice plan look forward to pic's when you have them, I have a 220 air compressor holds 160 psi all day to sell if your interested
Old 12-08-2019, 07:52 PM

I know some guys love them, but I'd personally skip the windows. I suppose they let a bit of natural light in, not that I need it, but I've never found myself standing in the shop gazing out the window. I have, on the otherhand, given many a thought on how to secure them and wishing they weren't there. I also find I'm usually out there at night, can't see out them anyways, everyone can see in plain as day, so they're covered.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:21 PM

I'd also suggest going up another foot to 9' on your walls, not much extra cost but you may appreciate the extra headroom. Also allows for mezzanine storage if you like. And agree with Trochu about skipping windows. If you are running air tools, put in some galvanized pipe and plumb in overhead drops. So handy.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-08-2019, 08:33 PM

Being a 12x18 building with a wood floor I would check with some of the prefab builders to see what they would cost to build it for you and deliver it if there is room to do so in your yard. Might save you some time unless this is something you would like to tackle.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:51 PM

I like a 9’ wall so I can take plywood and spin it if I have to. As for windows place them in the right spots so you cam maximize the wall space a 3’ wide door is just what you need, maybe put a window there and have one less on the wall. You can get custom trusses to get the maximum strength for a skyhook
.sliding windows are nice for the summer breezes. Have fun with your workspace
Old 12-08-2019, 09:28 PM

I also recommend 9’ walls, windows in doors because wall space is prime real estate for storage or mobile tool parking. If at all possible put the man door opposite wall of roll up door for those nice cross breezes.

A small wood stove for burning wood scraps and small electric heater to keep the liquids above freezing overnight.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:36 PM

Like others have said a 9' wall. I'm assuming a wood shop so; I would lay out the power tool spacing (lots of books n designs for that) and install floor outlet for the table saw, drill press, band saw, and lathe. Also rough in a dust control duct system, and provision for the exhaust fan / canister. Think about drop a down outlet on a retractable spool, i find that very handy. Also the lighting needs to be more than you think, and centered over the table saw etc.

My garage is heated with a gas fired unit heater, i love it when i go out to work there in winter i can boost the temp. from 5 or 6 to 20 in a few minutes.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:09 PM

I’d do a 9’ foot wall minimum. If you stand a sheet of plywood up in your 8’ walls you’ll knock all the lights off the ceiling. I’d also consider a wider overhead door. I’d go 8’x 7’ minimum. Put in a really good high cfm bathroom fan for clearing out fumes or dust. Also consider attic trusses to give you some extra storage in the attic.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:25 PM

I agree with everyone else regarding wall height; build it as tall as you are allowed to, you won't regret it.

I like a sliding door instead of a roll-up. You can build it yourself and save a boatload of money. The opening is exactly as tall as your walls, no loss of height due to hangers. If you have to be in-and-out during cold weather, you can open it just wide enough to slip back and forth without as much heat loss. Frame some small windows into it and leave your wall space for shelving.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:49 PM

Could be a possible factor with snow drifting... position your garage door to the south or east. Much of Alberta's prevailing winds are from the NW. Storm winds usually blow in from the ESE.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-09-2019, 06:45 AM

2x6 walls will keep it warmer longer.
Fan is great idea, use mine all the time to exhaust.
Plywood the walls, easier to hang ang screw too.
Fun fun !
Old 12-09-2019, 09:16 AM

A high volume vac system.
And several 20A outlets in the ceiling. Keeps extension cords off the floor.

Don
Old 12-09-2019, 10:07 AM

Default Human elements

Natural light is very important for true color, anti fatigue, and just a sense of wellness. Shop time is fun time, don't be in a cave.

Fresh air, and a good exhaust system for when your painting, staining, glueing welding etc. You want vapors drawn away from you. Air changes are important.

Good heating and air circulation. You don't want all that warm air to be stuck in the rafters.

Seal or coat your floor to keep dust down and easier to keep clean.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:21 AM

Default Plumbing

Next shop I put up will have hot running water and sink for butchering.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:35 AM

Don't forget the all important fridge for snacks and refreshments
Old 12-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Under your lean to, have a little insulated enclosure that’s connected to the interior for your air compressor. Make it bigger for a dust collector if you’re making it mostly a wood shop. Save the floor space and keep the noise down. Maybe upsize you’re floor a bit too. Less deflection and more insulation. 3 ply 14” ridge beam with 2x10 rafters would be a nice heavy duty roof with lots of insulation and easy to build. Don’t buy trusses for a shed. Have fun
Old 12-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Lots of good sugestions so far.
I echo 9' walls min.
If you are bringing in large material an 9' high door wide enough to easily bring your truck in is better. Double barn doors are easily to seal and insulate, you can make them your self and you can open one side at a time. Sliding door also works if you have the room and position the door right but I prefer the double door because it is easier to seal.
I would put windows in the shop. If you are worried about security put in a alarm and cameras and if you have to put bars on the windows. I want natural light if I am spending a lot of time in there.
You have to trench for electric, might as well put in gas as well. A lot more convenient heating.
In the lean-to- Build an insulted area at the back for hanging meat and put a air conditioner in the back side to keep it cool hanging meet in Sept. As suggested, you can also put your compressor in there.
Put a couple of fans in the highest point, good for cooling in summer and pushing the heat down in winter.
Put in a separate panel. If you want to run a Generac auxiliary power unit this is a good place to do the wiring and hook up, you can put the generator in the carport or the insulated part of the lean to if you build a meat cooler.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Another vote for windows, the can be secured. Otherwise, you'll have to turn the lights on every time you want to find something. My shop is 24x24 with 9" walls, no regrets. Minimum size by my thinking, but I had that option With 9' walls you might reconsider the open roof, You're going to have some cross ties to keep the structure from spreading. Lots of electrical plugs at bench height are handy. My welder plug is inside, beside the big door, handy in and out that way.

Grizz
Old 12-09-2019, 07:02 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, gang!

I'm sold on the 9' walls.

Will definately make a list of all the ideas.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:42 PM

This may sound weird but the best shop I've ever worked in had most of the recommendations already given but also had a urinal piped to the bushes. With a beverage fridge in your shop you might appreciate it. Plus it's a fun conversation starter too haha!
Old 12-09-2019, 07:48 PM

Wire in a few speakers. Doesn’t have to be anything crazy but having some tunes is always nice.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:53 PM

I'd build the walls as big as you can. It sucks maneuvering around an 8' long piece of plywood or 2x4's and you can't stand it up straight etc. My garage/shop has 8' ceiling.. drives me bonkers often.

Also, when wiring in the plugs.. make 2 breakers (A & B) and wire the plugs around the shop in an A B A B A B A B fashion. That way you can plug two things in side by side and they are drawing on different circuits.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:58 PM

Oh yeah!

Look into Pine/Spruce/Fir tongue and groove siding for covering your walls with. I found it cheaper than Plywood (per sqft), and it's thicker - so you can screw hang anything you want, anywhere.

I used it on the ceiling in my basement, stained gunstock brown. Looks awesome!
Old 12-09-2019, 10:13 PM

Dust duct in floor right under table saw. I constantly trip over my hose. Plug in the floor also for said saw.Aim your saw so you can run 12’ pieces with an out feed table.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:36 PM

Glad you opted for 9' walls as I was going to chime in too. My thought for windows is wide but short ones mounted high. Too narrow for a person to fit and too high for them to try, they allow for lots of shelves or workbench space underneath. Nobody needs a window down where the tool pegboard should be.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:18 AM

Barn fan mounted high in a wall cleans out fumes.
https://www.homehardware.ca/en/12-1-...tter/p/5245031

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-10-2019, 08:06 AM

When installing your plug ins, look at hospital plugs for better holds, if as regular plug takes 10 pounds to pull a cord out, the hospital plug takes maybe 30 pounds to pull a cord out, good add for extension cords, nobody can kick the cord out of the plug.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:11 AM

Default ok

with the 12x18 constraint planning for your space is required scale draw a layout on paper. take off wall thickness ,workbench size locations roller toolbox compressor vac table saw and other known tooling your have , 36" outswing mandoor so it doesn't eat into footprint (harder to kick in as well) also remember the roll up door requires headspace and its hanging tracks yikes space is disappearing fast...also while your at it scale draw the building exterior with 9 foot walls and roof pitch if ascetics matter its kinda shoeboxxy. 220 electric construction heater clean and easy... solid bench with 6" record vise...caster wheels on everything...drillpress bench grinder ...lighting over bench...plugs in bench front... solid portable work table and couple nice stools, get busy....chain
Old 12-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Have the windows in the big garage door and the man door and then you wont have to eat up precious wall space. It might sound like you have lots of room but once you have your tools, benches etc, the room disappears quickly.
Out swinging doors is a great idea as mentioned. Plug in in the roof for an electric winch, very handy and fairly cheap. Chain hoists work but are slow and a pain with all the chain.
Plywood walls is another good idea. Paint wtht the brightest white paint you can find, it will make a huge difference with lighting.
I would seal the wood floor with some type of sealant as well.
Post pics of design and building progress.

Tags
shed, shop, workshop