Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 02:14 PM

Default concussion

decided to end my awesome year off with a bang, fortunately my eye was miraculously mostly repaired after a complete retinal detachment after 6 wee star wars type surgeries. this time I thought I could probably punch a hole through the concrete floor, at least im told, I have amnesia about the accident and kinda happy that way my question is to you who have also decided to punch head holes, has anyone else listened to the same music they have know most of their lives after a concussion, and heard something different? I hope it doesnt last past my recovery, please! but Im just curious if you did/do and what it is you hear?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-09-2019, 04:27 PM

what happen ? you ran into Scott Stevens ??
Old 12-09-2019, 04:42 PM

Hey Wayne, hope you have a quick recovery!

Hope you get get out and get some fishin in too!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
decided to end my awesome year off with a bang, fortunately my eye was miraculously mostly repaired after a complete retinal detachment after 6 wee star wars type surgeries. this time I thought I could probably punch a hole through the concrete floor, at least im told, I have amnesia about the accident and kinda happy that way my question is to you who have also decided to punch head holes, has anyone else listened to the same music they have know most of their lives after a concussion, and heard something different? I hope it doesnt last past my recovery, please! but Im just curious if you did/do and what it is you hear?
You did promise me that we would go sturgeon fishing and you would buy the.beer! surely you remember that? All kidding aside, wishing you speedy and fulll recovery my friend.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:37 PM

Wayne, all the best for a speedy and full recovery. Looking forward to your great fishing threads!
Old 12-09-2019, 05:39 PM

Wish I could give you good news!! 11 years after a major concussion Its all still there!! Drives me nuts! I do have coping skills but its just a patch!
Old 12-09-2019, 05:53 PM

have had 2. a small amount of short term memory loss that never came back from each. seems easier to get headache.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:08 PM

not like I needed help with memory loss I just find extra music in the songs, a different pitch almost like whistleing. then again Ive had tinutus for centuries so I always hear buzzing, maybe I hit hard enough to know the cobwebs out. at least it happened at work, unfortunately I like my job and my bosses. having issues on my feet right now hopefully it passes or Im going to have to buy a sleddog and hook him up to me to get to the lake Hard to remember a lot so far, its there just takes a long time to come out. the emotional rollercoaster sucks too. I will get through it Im sure. if I hear even more of my music I cant complain about that theres always a silver lining I dod manage to hit the ice (properly) 4 days before my impact crater, and had an awesome day, even had a doubleheader on pike. all small though nothing over 14 pounds. hopefully time to get something decent!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78146626_2519717358082681_798780332697452544_n.jpg (58.8 KB, 120 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-09-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher Gord View Post
have had 2. a small amount of short term memory loss that never came back from each. seems easier to get headache.
I had a similar result with mine as well.

I’ve had 3 now, all ice hockey related and the last two in my last year of junior happened 3 weeks apart.

Memory loss, headaches and extreme nausea were what I struggled with most. Followed by fear of getting another one.

Not the most painful injury around, just seemed like an extreme inconvenience that wouldn’t go away.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:23 PM

Never had a concussion thankfully and good to hear you aren't suffering all that bad from yours...Heard tons of crazy stuff about post-concussion issues. The worst is hearing about guys who basically just had to stay in a dark room with no stimuli for weeks on end, because any abundance of light/sound/movement gave them serious migraines, nausea, and vertigo. I couldn't imagine anything worse, the boredom would be killer.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:15 PM

How did the concrete look????

Dodger.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Never had a concussion thankfully and good to hear you aren't suffering all that bad from yours...Heard tons of crazy stuff about post-concussion issues. The worst is hearing about guys who basically just had to stay in a dark room with no stimuli for weeks on end, because any abundance of light/sound/movement gave them serious migraines, nausea, and vertigo. I couldn't imagine anything worse, the boredom would be killer.
And just when you think it’s getting better and gone. BOOM hits you like a ton of bricks.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:09 PM

After taking a pool cue to the side of the head I found I was much more prone to headaches and migraines. Thankfully the migraines are few and far between but when they come its a whopper. I also found I now have to sleep in total darkness and with some sort of white noise in the background as it takes forever to fall asleep. Its like Im some how more alert to soft noises.
I can not say for sure if the tinnitus I have is because of the concussion or if it is years of loud music and industrial noise.
My music taste is slowly moving more towards hard rock and heavy metal type songs if that means anything to you.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-09-2019, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
After taking a pool cue to the side of the head I found I was much more prone to headaches and migraines. Thankfully the migraines are few and far between but when they come its a whopper. I also found I now have to sleep in total darkness and with some sort of white noise in the background as it takes forever to fall asleep. Its like Im some how more alert to soft noises.
I can not say for sure if the tinnitus I have is because of the concussion or if it is years of loud music and industrial noise.
My music taste is slowly moving more towards hard rock and heavy metal type songs if that means anything to you.
Must be a HECK of story to this incident
Old 12-09-2019, 08:14 PM
Banned

Hope you get BETTER Wayne Your posts on Historical Alberta seem quite LUCID
Old 12-09-2019, 09:08 PM

I have had more than one bad concussion. Probably some long term damage. Gotta protect that coconut no matter what your age is! I hope you feel better Wanye. Please remember to PM me all those great sturgeon holes
Old 12-09-2019, 10:05 PM

I've had more than I can count or remember both as a child and as an adult. On top of the concussion thing I also have severe motion sickness .. maybe because of all the concussions...? Hmmm. It doesn't take much to set off a trip of vertigo, some days I have to go lay down when it hits I just can't function. Now I wish I'd seen a doctor for all those head shots I've taken. Might not have done anything to help but might have been better than nothing
Old 12-09-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
The worst is hearing about guys who basically just had to stay in a dark room with no stimuli for weeks on end ....
Like sitting in a hut on a frozen lake, waiting for a fish to bite?
Old 12-09-2019, 11:37 PM

get well soon Wayne .
Old 12-10-2019, 09:29 AM

I've had several throughout my life, the most recent being ice fishing in January 2016. Snow free ice, freshly drilled hole and me walking over to get bait. Hit the water, remember looking up at the clear blue sky thinking "this is gonna hurt". Then every 2 minutes after that, asking my buddy how long ago did that happen? 10 minutes later, we were packing up and heading to the nearest hospital.

I did the most insane thing - thinking I could return to work 2 days later. After being forced to go back home and rest for a week, I returned to work again only to continue to feel the effects for a really long 4-6 months. I still occasionally get symptoms, usually when I play sports and spin round and round when the action is happening. Takes me staring at a spot on the floor in a break in the action for 10 seconds to stop the head from spinning, but there's no music accompanying it? I have a slight case of tinutus as well, but that's been in there since my teens from sitting right in front of speakers at dances. Some things still bother me to this day (brightness of snow for example - good sunglasses help immensely)

Concussion protocols nowadays are much more complete. It's a step system; you complete one "level" and carry onto the next level. If at any level you fall back, you actually start at the beginning again so the best thing you can do Wayne is to follow medical directions and work slowly through it.

Best of luck in getting better. It'll work itself out - just give it time (not like me)

J.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:32 AM

LOTS of rest. Netflix, Crave... you need to watch everything, not push yourself, eat right, and try not to get too bored. Lots of time for art work!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 12-10-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
question is to you who have also decided to punch head holes, has anyone else listened to the same music they have know most of their lives after a concussion, and heard something different? I hope it doesnt last past my recovery, please! but Im just curious if you did/do and what it is you hear?
As a matter of fact after my major injury (mechanism still unknown) I could not listen to music for at least a year. Music was simply different noises stacked up on each other. They would not blend. It was like listening to multiple songs at the same time, except it made my brain shut down. I also couldn't read or watch tv. Multiple things in my visual field or people talking was very very hard for my brain to cope with too. Red lights in signs were too bright to look at directly (one gas price sign in particular I had to shield my eyes from in passing. A few years later things are much better but will never be where they were.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:54 AM

". Music was simply different noises stacked up on each other. They would not blend. It was like listening to multiple songs at the same time, " this! except I get the majority of the music, just new things pop out Im not even sure are in it. mostly sounds like someone whistling or something. doesnt ruin the tunes just makes them different. and not every time either. keeps stuff fresh I guess. couldnt get thru life without music at least i couldnt art yes i have many unfinished pieces I hope to be able to at least try to work on a bit at a time, not a lot of continuous attention at the moment. Thanks for the well wishes I hope everyone else experiences concussions does ok too its not fun at all.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Take care of yourself. Lots of rest and taking life easy. Get better before sturgeon fishing time.

BW
Old 12-10-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Must be a HECK of story to this incident
Long story short, don't ever work in bar with someone who's call sign is Mario...... The rest I will not talk about as there is no statute of limitations...........

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-10-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Hope you get BETTER Wayne Your posts on Historical Alberta seem quite LUCID
thanks its probably my photographer compettitor from Strathmore but I love historical Alberta too specially since I was born here!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds