Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-25-2015, 04:12 PM

Default Skeena river this summer??

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with some info on the skeena near terrace ...I want to try for some springs or steelhead in July.. Fished a lot in Rupert but want to try the river .. So I've done some reaserch but can't get a positive answer if I can camp on or near the river in an outfitters tent ..also any other tips for equipment or anything would be appreciated ..
Old 04-25-2015, 04:21 PM

Lots of people camp on the river shore but most have jet boats. You can fish on shore at Ferry Island & stay at the Ferry Island campground if you wish. Usually very crowded though. There is another spot you can cast offshore just past Terrace but again crowded. A must is to have the right gear. Trust me, I learned the hard way. If you want to get to the best spots hire a guide.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:59 PM

If it's crown land you're good to go for camping.

to my knowledge July is a tad early for steelhead but good time for springs.

as for equipment, 10-11' MH rod with a 7000 ambassador or equivalent with 40# test. big spin-n-glo behind 4-8oz of weight. stop in at Oscars or McBike in Smithers on your way for some advice, the tackle shops in Terrace are great too.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 04-25-2015, 05:54 PM

On your way to Rupert you drove past china bar. Lots of people camp and shorefish there. If you time it right and the river is not running too high, you can drive out on the bar a set up camp.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the advise .. Yah a guide would certainly be the way to go to get on fish but I'd like to give it an honest effort before I resort to that.. Looks like I'll have to invest in some new gear and give those spots a try .. Thanks ..