Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2015, 10:38 AM

Default Sheep River Fishing

Has anyone fished the Sheep River this year, I've never fished it, I'm looking for some advise or another good creek in the Calgary area for fly fishing, I usually fish the Bow & Elbow but I'm looking for some new streams.. Thanks !
Old 07-03-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo123 View Post
Has anyone fished the Sheep River this year, I've never fished it, I'm looking for some advise or another good creek in the Calgary area for fly fishing, I usually fish the Bow & Elbow but I'm looking for some new streams.. Thanks !
Fished it a couple weeks ago and caught a couple 8" rainbows on pmds
Old 07-03-2015, 09:25 PM

Fished it today. There was a bit of a golden stone hatch, but in 2.5 hours on Gorge Ck/Sheep R. I got nothing.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-06-2015, 03:17 PM

Al. Do you go in from the north side or walk down the fence from the k country boundary parking lot. ( if you can still get there after the flood?). And do you agree gorge creek is at the bottom of that trail? By gps coordinates that creek I think is much further west. Not sure after argument with CO.

B.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander B View Post
Al. Do you go in from the north side or walk down the fence from the k country boundary parking lot. ( if you can still get there after the flood?). And do you agree gorge creek is at the bottom of that trail? By gps coordinates that creek I think is much further west. Not sure after argument with CO.
Gorge creek passes under the Sheep River Road beside the access to the U of C field station, about 700 m West of where Gorge Creek Trail goes off Sheep River Rd. That is where it flows into the Sheep. See this map. I access it from where it crosses the Sheep River Road.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-17-2015, 12:38 PM

Fishing has been exeptional so far this year. It's normally never this low and clear. Been catching anything between 15-30 fish a day with the bulk being whitefish. Some nice rainbows and browns as well, and the occasional bull.
I have yet to move far out of town.
End of season (late Sept/Oct) is when you get the big ones though.
Nice little stream - but be prepared to lose a lot of flies

NT
Old 07-17-2015, 08:54 PM

I fish the Sheep several times a week. Plenty of fish (especially whitefish) on nymphs, and some rainbows on nymphs and dries. Lots of good places to fish near Okotoks and lots of others west of Turner Valley (just get land owners permission before crossing fences and such). Great little stream.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:58 AM

4 hrs fishing landed 1 rainbow, worked a lot of decent water with no flashes at all.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:04 PM

6h, between 50 and 60 fish. 12 rainbows, 1 brown, the rest white fish. All within town limits.
Called it a day around 4 due to the number of rafters.
Slivers - where did you fish?
I'm probably fishing upstream from town next week to check the terrain. Start around 8 until I'm hungry!
Old 07-25-2015, 11:37 AM

Fished out of the 48th st road alowance last week. Very disappointed to see that the barrier rocks have been pushed to the side and people are now driving on the gravel bar. One idiot was driving in the stream channel but was too far away to get a license. Lots of garbage left behind. Sad.
Fishing Report: Lots of 5-6" rainbows, a few 10 - 12" rainbows, as usual the odd larger fish, all on parachute dries and a hopper dropper rig.

Tim
Old 07-25-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcartmell View Post
Fished out of the 48th st road alowance last week. Very disappointed to see that the barrier rocks have been pushed to the side and people are now driving on the gravel bar. One idiot was driving in the stream channel but was too far away to get a license. Lots of garbage left behind. Sad.
Fishing Report: Lots of 5-6" rainbows, a few 10 - 12" rainbows, as usual the odd larger fish, all on parachute dries and a hopper dropper rig.

Tim
is that aka pumphouse? I noticed the same at that location.