Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Default Brown Trout in the Upper Crow???!!!

I thought I caught one just below Frank lake last summer during salmon fly season. It was 12" and the coloration was suspect (and I was having way too much fun catching fish on roadkill sized flies to care much).

Today.................. I just caught and released a bonified 16" brown downstream of the East Hillcrest bridge.

size 8 frankenbugger.

sorry no pics.... but I know this was the real deal.

This must be more common than just me.

Is this supposed to be?

How do the summer regs apply???

any thoughts boys?

bd
Old 03-21-2009, 07:34 PM

I've heard of about a dozen browns being caught above the falls. Someone must have done a little bucket stocking in the past. There has even been some lakers caught below the falls.

As far as the regs go, I think you should contact F&W to get their position on the matter.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:47 AM

Ya there are browns all the way from where you were fishing to the dam.

The population isnt near what it is above lundbreck falls so if you looking for browns your better off to stay above the falls.

Heck I have seen browns pulled out of the old man under the bridge in taber and at the forks North of Grassy Lake.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 PM
jrs

Now that's one fish I've never heard of upstream of the falls. Very interesting, i would suspect the bucket brigade as i can't think of anywhere in the upper Crowsnest drainage they may be coming from. I'm not all that pleased to hear they're up there, i thought the rainbows and whites were providing a plenty good fishery as is (the odd brook trout and cutt just adds to the adventure). I know two guys that have landed bullies in the river while streamer fishing over the past 10 years or so, the one laker was pushing 10 lbs. Not common but makes sense a few leave the lake and move downstream. I also know of a small laker showing up in the Oldman River just below the dam a few years ago, skinny little sick looking thing.

goldscud, have you heard if the browns are spawning up there?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 PM

From what I've heard the mix up can happen at the hatchery when the fry jump out of one take into another, not sure if there is any truth to this. buddie of mine caught a nice 19 " brown above the falls a few years back
Old 03-22-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROUTONIC View Post
From what I've heard the mix up can happen at the hatchery when the fry jump out of one take into another, not sure if there is any truth to this. buddie of mine caught a nice 19 " brown above the falls a few years back
They dont stock the river.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:17 AM

There must be some spawning as browns have been showing up for a few years and different sizes.
From the regs:

the river downstream of East Hillcrest Bridge to Lundbreck Falls – Open all year.
Apr. 1 to June 15 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban
June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 2; Slot-size limit 30 cm to 45 cm for Cutthroat and Rainbow, only 1 may be longer than 45 cm and the other must be shorter than 30 cm, or both may be shorter; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban

ZERO TROUT retention Nov1-Mar31
Old 03-23-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
They dont stock the river.
They do Stock Crowsnest lake with rainbows, If lakers can make it down from there im sure a brown could to.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:00 PM

Hey everyone,first post here.
In '98 I caught a 14" brown just below east hillcreast bridge.I remember going to the Crowsnest angler and telling the chap running the shop of my catch.Dont think he believed me,but yup...the odd brown is lurking in the waters above the falls.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:04 PM

Guys,

I wonder if the browns escaped from Allison Springs Hatchery that is located on a tributary to the Crow. There is an outflow from the hatchery that goes into the trib.
I caught a brookie below the slide in the Crow about 20 years ago. Suspect it came from the beaver dams that used to be on Gold Creek.

catch ya'

Don
Old 03-24-2009, 05:18 PM
jrs

That may be more likely than the bucket brigade, i didn't think of escaped browns from the hatchery. I've never visited that one so not sure how likely that could be. As for brookies, there's a few sections along the upper Crow where they're pretty common. Lots can come out of Island Lake (where they're stocked) as well as Allison Creek/ Lake (which is choked with them). I've caught a few brookies in side channels a few kilometres downstream of the upper HWY 3 crossing over the years.

And welcome lipripper, sounds like you caught a brown a while back. Would be neat to know how they actually got there and how many there may be.