Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-09-2015, 02:25 PM

Default Consider shot placement/result is about more than anatomy

Posted in hunting section as well but all hunters should consider this, IMHO.

DOUBLE LUNG VS A HEART SHOT

Picking a good, clean shot depends on your level of experience and proficiency. I asked Mike Roux an outdoor writer and Pro-staff member for Lohman Game Calls his thoughts on shot placement. By the way, Roux just happens to be the chief technologist of nuclear cardiology at Blessing Hospital in Quincy, Illinois. Roux always encourages hunters to aim for the lungs over a heart shot. He believes the benefits of a double lung shot are vastly improved when compared to a heart shot.

"From a physiological standpoint", Roux explains when there is trauma to the heart the body automatically responds by shutting itself down. This causes the blood in the body to move slower.

In other words, all the arteries, veins and major organs retain the blood they currently possess. When a deer is hit in the heart,

Related Bowsite Resources
blood circulation decreases and less blood exits the body. Therefore, a heart shot deer may not bleed as much compared to a lung shot.

Conversely, Roux states: that, "on a double lung hit, the wound causes the heart to beat harder. This is mainly due to the loss of blood pressure. As the body tries to compensates for the loss of blood pressure to supply the brain with blood, the heart pumps harder. Whenever the heart beats faster, more blood is lost and a hunter has a better chance of finding the animal".

By no means do I suggest that a heart shot is not effective. The fact is, a heart shot is lethal. This is simply a good rule of thumb to remember whenever you are picking your shot. The lungs also provide a larger target area that gives hunters an easier shot as compared to the smaller sized heart. With this information in mind I asked Roux his opinions on the "waiting game" after a confirmed hit? Like most of us, he suggested waiting 30 minutes. Whenever hunters push deer, the type of shot and the amount of adrenalin within the animal determines how far a deer will run. The further away a deer runs often times lessens your chances of finding the animal.

What is the difference between a gun and a bow and arrow hit? Unlike a bullet hit, Roux explains, "When a deer is hit with a broadhead, many times he doesn't know he's hit, he just knows something is wrong. There is no adrenalin surge associated. The deer weakens from blood loss and lies down. If you give him enough time to "bleed out", that's where your blood trail will lead. If you track too soon and jump the deer, or he sees or smells you, this is where a rush of adrenaline keeps him moving. Increased adrenaline can cause a deer to escape from you and move quite some distance after the bleeding has stopped. This can make deer pushed too soon very hard to find".

LC
Old 01-09-2015, 03:10 PM

Personally all I see is lungs on the game I am hunting...took me years not to look at antlers and picture the heart...center lung...and on shots double lung not possible...liver/lung helps...

Neil
Old 01-10-2015, 10:18 PM

Everytime I hit the heart, they drop in sight (under 30). double lungs are 50 - 270 meter blood trails in my experience.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
Everytime I hit the heart, they drop in sight (under 30). double lungs are 50 - 270 meter blood trails in my experience.
I have have the same good luck with heart and liver...but not my main targets...

Neil
Old 01-12-2015, 04:20 PM

I always shoot the lungs. They usually die within 100 yards on a well placed arrow. Heart shots always die too!
Old 01-12-2015, 04:45 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
I always shoot the lungs. They usually die within 100 yards on a well placed arrow. Heart shots always die too!
I had shot for the lungs for many years too. I now shoot the high shoulder shot best place for my results my last 4 animals have all droped in there tracks. One White tail/ Antelope/ Mule deer/ Big horn Ram. All shot with a will placed shot high and back of the shoulder. But i have to say i have put some in the lungs when shot was fast and time was not there. You just don't rush a high shoulder shot its a lot harder to put on target if you dont have the time.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 wild cat View Post
I had shot for the lungs for many years too. I now shoot the high shoulder shot best place for my results my last 4 animals have all droped in there tracks. One White tail/ Antelope/ Mule deer/ Big horn Ram. All shot with a will placed shot high and back of the shoulder. But i have to say i have put some in the lungs when shot was fast and time was not there. You just don't rush a high shoulder shot its a lot harder to put on target if you dont have the time.
You must talking rifle hunting? A high shoulder shot with archery tackle is not a good plan.

LC
Old 01-12-2015, 07:41 PM

I always go for the double lung if i can and have always harvested everything within a close range (under 100 yds) best shot to take IMHO percentage wise.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You must talking rifle hunting? A high shoulder shot with archery tackle is not a good plan.

LC
That and the fact that the last four critters all dopped in their tracks!!!

Neil
Old 01-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Banned

Only bucks I've ever seen lost have been "heart shots". Friends, family, and personally. Lung shots, I always find em.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:23 AM

I go for lungs every time but rethinking that as I lost one this year.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
I go for lungs every time but rethinking that as I lost one this year.
If you hunt long enough it happens...it is still the best and highest percentage POA in my opinion.

LC
Old 01-13-2015, 11:26 AM

I always was taught to go for the lung shot... but if I can get lung and heart that would be a good too
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 01-13-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Yep with a rifle Lefty just a rifle lol. Did not read your post right sorry but I do bow hunt to and yes lungs all the way. Thanks for correcting me on that lol
Old 01-13-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 wild cat View Post
Yep with a rifle Lefty just a rifle lol. Did not read your post right sorry but I do bow hunt to and yes lungs all the way. Thanks for correcting me on that lol
. We knew what you meant but it wouldn't be the "AO way" to just let it slide

LC