Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2015, 07:06 PM

Default How much gear do you guys have???

I am always amazed with the amount of expensive gear people on flyfishing forums claim to have...

How do you people get all this gear past your significant others?

Need more ideas...
Old 03-09-2015, 07:13 PM

im not a fly fisherman but i think its the same situation with any hobby or sport. fortunatley for me, my Girlfreinds hobby is more expensive than mine.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:23 PM

If something happens to me I hope like hell she doesn't sell my equipment for what I told her I paid....
Old 03-09-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
If something happens to me I hope like hell she doesn't sell my equipment for what I told her I paid....
I agree with this one lol I just bought the wife a sage so she has simething high end and I tell her I'm buying this for both of us to use.Also what she don't see she don't know.I buy and sell a lot of crap but it's always a upgrade so theres always stuff on the move that she can't keep track of.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:40 PM

Almost as many fly rods these days as Cat has guns....

Just kidding but sometimes it feels like it, especially since I started building my own custom rods. I'm a bit of a nice reel junkie too, Danielsson, Sage, Lamson....

for every couple setups I'd buy, I'd just build my girlfriend a rod. She never complained about the amount of gear I had

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-09-2015, 08:05 PM

Too much, yet not enough!

-Confucius
Old 03-09-2015, 08:09 PM

Confucius say
Sometimes better to beg forgiveness then to ask permission
Old 03-09-2015, 11:02 PM

Can't say she reads AO sometimes!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 AM

Not much here. a 5wt outfit and a 8wt outfit. The 8 was a bit of a splurge as it's only been used twice in 2 years, in the Caribbean for bones. I pretty much just use the 5 for all my fly fishing here. Have waders I almost never use, just fish wet. Boots, a equipment bag I can use as a fanny pack or over the shoulder bag with the usual little doodads in it. Floating lines only. That's about it.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:57 AM

Reduced the rod quiver from 50 or so to <> 35.
Add 3 reels though and another pontoon boat.

Don
Old 03-10-2015, 11:02 AM

Fishing and hunting is a significantly less expensive hobby that a girlfriend. So my wife doesn't say much. 😃👍
Old 03-10-2015, 11:05 AM

And I know where 2 of Andersen's rod reduction inventory ended up.....my house
Old 03-10-2015, 11:43 AM

Simple if she don't ask I don't tell lol
Old 03-10-2015, 12:12 PM

I only have 4 Rods....

I feel inadequate.

As far as your question goes, buy the under 100$ items here and there with out saying anything and spread those purchases out.

Then for the expensive purchases, tell your wife about them. This way she feels in control of what you purchased.

Spread out over a year 12 x 100 of small things + 4 purchases of 300 or so adds up to 2400 and she none the wiser!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:29 PM

I told my wife that fly rods are around $50 and fly reels cost around $30 each. Bought my 2 pairs of wader and boots for $100 and flies are cheap.
Its been working for me for years
I can't imagine if she find out the actual cost of my gears... There will be no mercy... LOL Hopefully she will never step into any of the fly shops.
The only complain she made was why would I have over a dozen rods hangin in the garage.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:31 PM

You guys need to take your pants back, lol. My money is mine to spend.
My fly gear is basic, the more I learned the less I felt I needed the high end stuff. Especially reels. Never understood why anyone would want to spend that much when they don't have to.
Yet a lot of people fish to be seen fishing and buy gear for the Bling factor.
Now spinning gear I need an intervention, lol. I have probably $2,000 in crankbaits and a little less then half that in tackle. Sonars, ice gear, fly gear, tackle and lures and misc probably around $5000. Then there's the boat .
I don't feel bad about it though. It's my passion and I could sell what I have so its equity. At least that's my excuse I give myself to keep buying. Lol
Old 03-10-2015, 05:46 PM

My gear list is fairly minimal. Just bought a pair of Patagonia waders today which is the most expensive fishing item I have. Now the girlfriend wants some as well which is fine with me as it helps extend our fishing season.

I suppose many people do not fish with their significant others. Just happens to be one of our favourite pass times that we can do together. I buy quality gear for myself, never a single complaint, especially if I invest into gear for her as well.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:41 PM

For many, many years I wore my shorts and runners fishing a 70s fiberglass rod and thought all the head to toe gear guys were DBs. Sadly I morphed I to that guy. I wouldn't consider anything but Simms wading boots. I have a few pairs of waders but still prefer to wet-wade. High end ,vest, lightweight long sleeve sun resistant quick dry collared fishing shirt. A long brim Simms visor that of course is black under the brim ($18 in Seattle) Perhaps 10 flyrods though most were built by me for under $300. the rod I fish the most is a 3wt H&H kit rod that was $120. 6 or 7 reels none of them more than $150 although I can see myself with some old Hardys in the future. Way over 1000 flies most of them just ok that I tied. Pontoon boat, canoe, float tube I haven't used in years. I usually add a major piece a year. This year it was a top of the line wading jacket. I Learned a guy can't scrimp on these if you want to fish all day in the rain.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:48 PM

You guys are all animals!! I think I might try the "spreading it out" tactic next...
Old 03-10-2015, 07:45 PM

Default Easy

She loves to fly fish!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 PM

I dont have a ton of fishing gear, but What I have is pretty high end. I have been acused of being an elitist by some of my friends, but Im really a bum, who appreciates the finer things in life. I have 6 rods in total, that I collected over 10 years each with a reel. Tackle is easy, it gets lost, broken, and smuggles in pockets well. Otherwise.... What taco said, hope she dont sell it for what I said I paid. My wife is pretty great though, she hasnt thrown me out yet, and once let me buy a 1200 dollar rifle, I thought I was going to have to fit a reel to it and double up as a fishing rod... But she lets me buy one item a year just for me, hunting fishing or otherwise.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:37 PM

How the hell am going to hide my drift boat next year?does any body know david copper feild lol just kidding she knows.The deal is quit smoking then I will get my last big purchase.To big to hide anyway.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital shok View Post
How the hell am going to hide my drift boat next year?does any body know david copper feild lol just kidding she knows.The deal is quit smoking then I will get my last big purchase.To big to hide anyway.
I like that!! Maybe I'll start smoking, just so I can quit to reward myself!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:01 PM

So far have had some success by demonstrating how much it would cost if I smoked, and also helps that I have a friend who has started collecting classic automobiles. Mine is a much less expensive habbit than that. I like the "less expensive than a girlfirend" approach... must try that the next time.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:45 PM

Ya, boots are one item you don't want to skimp on. Anything that keeps you warm/cool and dry is worth the pretty penny. A good chest pack also just makes the day go by better. Nothing is worse then rummaging through packs, dropping and losing stuff while fish rise all around you.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:44 AM

Thanks to heretohunt, wandered around my house last night humming "Cheaper to Keep Her", and again doing so this morning. And I'm not even all that big on new country (classic rock and occasional Willie is more my style). My 4th rod, waiting for me to pick it up at Sweetgrass, was $80... by far the cheapest one so far. That should help soften the blow too.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:49 AM

Thanks to heretohunt, wandered around my house last night humming "Cheaper to Keep Her", and again doing so this morning. And I'm not even all that big on new country (classic rock and occasional Willie is more my style). My 4th rod, waiting for me to pick it up at Sweetgrass, was $80... by far the cheapest one so far. That should help soften the blow too.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:05 AM

Hmmm...tough question, especially when I buy fly fishing gear to hunt with. Bought one of these yesterday~feels about 10x nicer than the BUFFs I wear! http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/hea...ngaiter-1.html

As for the amount of gear~I honestly couldn't tell you. Not because there is a ton of it, but more because I tend to get something, use it allot for a couple of years..then something else catches my fancy and I get that. Several years of that yields a small heap of gear. When something new catches my eye...I look at the heap and decide what stays/what goes...sell something to finance it, and so on. I try to keep it revenue neutral, but the consumables like leaders/tippets/fly boxes, wading boots every couple of years, tying material~that's easily explained/rationalized with the Mrs.

Not saying I haven't forgotten the odd rifle or shotgun in the back seat of my pick-up until after my wife has gone to bed. Darn I'm forgetful sometimes..
Old 03-19-2015, 01:22 PM

A lot.

As far as rods that i actually use...

2 sage ones 3wt 9', 5 wt 9'6

1 Sage method 7wt 9'6

2 z axis 9wt 10', 8wt 11' switch

Redington CT 2wt 7'6

Winston Boron IIMX 4wt 9'

Couple of orvis', couple of low end sages, a st croix from time to time, a winston boron 7/8 spey... I wont even get into lines, waders, boots, packs, boats, i wont even get started on reels. I go through gear a lot quicker then others though. Buying and Selling consistently. Which is why i try to get 80+ days on the water a year, to justify the arm and leg I have chopped off. Although this is an accumulation of 13 years dedicated to fly fishing. However I take fly fishing seriously, high end rods and reels do make a difference.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
A lot.

As far as rods that i actually use...

2 sage ones 3wt 9', 5 wt 9'6

1 Sage method 7wt 9'6

2 z axis 9wt 10', 8wt 11' switch

Redington CT 2wt 7'6

Winston Boron IIMX 4wt 9'

Couple of orvis', couple of low end sages, a st croix from time to time, a winston boron 7/8 spey... I wont even get into lines, waders, boots, packs, boats, i wont even get started on reels. I go through gear a lot quicker then others though. Buying and Selling consistently. Which is why i try to get 80+ days on the water a year, to justify the arm and leg I have chopped off. Although this is an accumulation of 13 years dedicated to fly fishing. However I take fly fishing seriously, high end rods and reels do make a difference.
Wow! Let me know if you're selling an 8 weight...