Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2015, 11:04 AM

Default Trailer wiring

I have a gooseneck trailer that is giving me grief with the wiring. I recently smashed the breakaway switch, and was getting a check wiring warning on my truck. So I replaced that switch but the warning was till there. when I test with power to the trailer plug, my tail lights come on when my brake terminal gets power. I opened the junction box, where all the wires from the truck plug, connect to all the wires from the trailer itself. From the plug, its a black wire to function the brakes, they used 5 wire so no blue one just for color reference. In the junction box, I have continuity from ground to the black trailer brakes. I figure that's the issue, a bare brake wire grounding out. Whats the best way to find this? It s a 30 ft triple axle so I don't really want to run new brake wire. Unless that's the only way...

thoughts or suggestions on how to find this ??
Old 12-09-2015, 12:57 PM

is the tow vehicle a gm by chance?
Old 12-09-2015, 03:55 PM

Your tail lights should not turn on when putting power to the electrical brakes. Continuity from the power side of your electric brakes to ground would be normal with about 2.5 ohms per magnet, if it is zero then you have a short to ground.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:11 AM

Yes I learnt yesterday that continuity to ground through the brake wire is normal. I am gonna have to tighten everything back up and start checking from scratch again. Thanks.

Yes it's a GM.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:14 AM

I have a gizmo from Princess Auto that plugs into the trailer plug. makes it much easier to check the truck wiring , without having the trailer connected. Not expensive either.

Grizz
Old 12-10-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Yes I learnt yesterday that continuity to ground through the brake wire is normal. I am gonna have to tighten everything back up and start checking from scratch again. Thanks.

Yes it's a GM.
check all fuses, then check them again and then the third time you will find it

I know its hard to believe, but, trust me.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:12 AM

I guess I should have mentioned, while the vehicle is a Gm, I have a board made up with all the trailer plugs in it and switche to function each light and brakes for testing and fixing trailers. So while the GM indicate da issue, it was confirmed without a vehicle in my shop hooked to my test board.

Yesterday, I pulled all my terminals and re tightened them all down and I have no issues now. I may have screwed up a wire when I rep,aced the break away or like most trailer wiring, maybe my ground was poor..... I still can't figure how the tail lights ever came on with the brakes tho....we shall see how things hold up.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I have a gizmo from Princess Auto that plugs into the trailer plug. makes it much easier to check the truck wiring , without having the trailer connected. Not expensive either.

Grizz
I have those as well, but I had just worked on the trailer so had a good idea it wasn't the truck.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
I guess I should have mentioned, while the vehicle is a Gm, I have a board made up with all the trailer plugs in it and switche to function each light and brakes for testing and fixing trailers. So while the GM indicate da issue, it was confirmed without a vehicle in my shop hooked to my test board.

Yesterday, I pulled all my terminals and re tightened them all down and I have no issues now. I may have screwed up a wire when I rep,aced the break away or like most trailer wiring, maybe my ground was poor..... I still can't figure how the tail lights ever came on with the brakes tho....we shall see how things hold up.
Nice that it worked out. 9.9 out of 10 on a trailer its a grounding issue
Old 12-11-2015, 02:36 PM

Im surprised that there isn't a wireless trailer lighting like a Bluetooth for brakes signals and such. And the only plug would be a +/- wire that would power the unit and charge batterie . If a trailer was ever stolen the lights would flash as not being recognized by a authourized tow vehicl .
Maybe when I win the lotto I wI'll commission this.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-11-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Im surprised that there isn't a wireless trailer lighting like a Bluetooth for brakes signals and such. And the only plug would be a +/- wire that would power the unit and charge batterie . If a trailer was ever stolen the lights would flash as not being recognized by a authourized tow vehicl .
Maybe when I win the lotto I wI'll commission this.
Cool idea.

Building wireless stuff can be a lot of grief. Especially for mission-critical applications (which this application may be classed as being...)

(sorry for the derail!)