Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Default Ever had a painfull day out fishing ???

Well here's my story, I meet up with jts1 & his wife along with walleyedeitz at Clear lake on saturday morning. They had one pike on the ice already and got another as I'm pulling up to them ( thinking to myself this is gonna be a good day if it starts like this ). So we do a little chatting and then I punched a few holes in the ice and get my tip-ups set up and then into the holes ( you know the usual routine ).
So standing around BS-ing, sharing stories and watching other fisher people across the ice chasing flags. We had some good action, flag up over here flag up over there, it was intermintent and sporatic but good, but all the while NOTHING on " my " tip-ups ( well that's about to change ). Finally one of my flags goes up, I go running over and the reel rod is just-a-spinning. I pull up my tip-up, grab ahold of the line ( still pulling it's all good ) yank back to set the hook - holy crap it's a good one.
Now lets pause for a moment for some additional info. I have caught lots of pike before ( always on open water ), I have NEVER managed to get one threw the ice ( until now ).
Lets continue - so needless to say a little excited about hand lining a pike through the ice, hand over hand everythings going good. As I see this rather large head comming up the hole ( large compaired to the other pike that were making onto the ice ) everything is still going good. Then SNAP the leader broke and the pike was half way out......... think fast. I did my best football linebacker tackle and grab onto this pike ( musta looked like Eric Cartman going after the last cheezy poof in the bag ).On my way down I rolled my ankle ( thought that I had broken a bone or two in my foot ) Ouch.
OK now I got the pike ( still face down on the ice and with a really sore foot ) ......thinking to myself - ya gotta move, gotta do something can't stay here.
So I rolled over face to face with this pike on top of me ( so all I hear is " we should have got that on video tape " and laughter from all around ) . I let it loose on the ice on the side of me that didn't have a hole. So there I am laying on the ice beside my pike, slime all over my jacket and snow pants wimpering about my broken foot. Now with all the excitment and entertainment I managed to get up to my knees and Dietz passed me the pike for some pics ( everyone there was trully concerned for my well being ). The rest of the day ( 5 or 6 hours ) I limped around the ice ( trying not to show how much it really hurt and to enjoy the rest of the days fishing activities ). There were quite a few jokes and giggles at my expence ( most by myself ) it's all good, I wasn't there to break any ice speed records anyways. I did manage to ice one other pike that day, but it want back down the hole ( as did many others ). We even had a visit from the local F&W officer ( whom was very friendly - if every encounter with F&W was like that there would never be any issues with them at all ) The fishing was good, but the company was better - it was an awesome fishing excursion ( the drive home wasn't that great ( pain wise ), and you never know who you'll see on the road ). Sometimes you can't put a price on really good entertainment. I'll be limping around for a few days but that's OK - IT WAS WORTH IT !!!

For those who really care to know - my pike weighed in at just over 10lbs and was 34 inchs long ( and yes I DID keep it ).

On a side note jts1 did a fancy home plate baseball slide going for a tip-up, but that's another story ( not my story ).

Sorry guys/ girls I have no pics ( don't know how to post them even if I did ), jts1 has the pics and if he wants to post them thats cool if not thats OK with me too - its totally up to him.

Does anyone else have a painfull fishing story they would like to share ????

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

lonewolf
Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Big.Bear

I was fishing at lightning creek back home in Quesnel and walk scoping out some new area. As I was walking around a fallen tree I slipped and my foot went through same sticks into a hole. I stopped for a minute to figure out what the hell happened as it happen so quick. I pulled my led out to find a 2 and a half inch wide stick in my leg. Blood everywhere and the end of the stick broke off into my leg. So wrapped it up and off to the hospital. Doctor spent a good 2 hours cleaning it and pulling pieces of stick and bark out of the wound. He couldn't believe it lol. Now I have a huge scar where that stick used to be.

One of the worst feelings was a double tungsten bead leech smacking me in the back of my neck and opening a nice cut, All I can say is my friend is lucky he didn't have to swim back to shore.

Another was the time me and a friend were scoping up an old rundown cabin we found while walking along a river, I was looking at the old stove that was in really bad shape and the metal chimney part broke off and landed on my arm. Well opened up a real nice gash on my arm. My buddys first aid kit was homemade. I gave myself 8 stitches with floss and a needle. Went to town the next day to see what the doctor said. Apparently I did a pretty good job lol.

theres a few others. The only one I came home right away for was the stick in the leg.

The scariest I have ever had happen was when I went for a walk on Dragon lake back home. My little brother and my dog were with me. I always walked a little further ahed just to be sure the ice was ok. There were people all over ice fishing that day. Well I was walking and started hearing the ice make more sounds then I cared for then all the sudden as I took one step forward that leg went through the ice. I have do idea why just 1 leg did and not my whole body but I fell in past my knee, I laid flat and crawled my way out. Meanwhile my dog was trying to get to me and my brother was screaming for her to go back his way so no more weight was added. All I can say is I am very wary of ice now and had the crap scared out of me that day. I figure it was a spring or something, as there was no hole from an ice fisher and it was somewhat close to shore.

Last edited by Big.Bear; 03-22-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Default We were wondering what the commotion was all about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
Well here's my story, I meet up with jts1 & his wife along with walleyedeitz at Clear lake on saturday morning. They had one pike on the ice already and got another as I'm pulling up to them ( thinking to myself this is gonna be a good day if it starts like this ). So we do a little chatting and then I punched a few holes in the ice and get my tip-ups set up and then into the holes ( you know the usual routine ).
So standing around BS-ing, sharing stories and watching other fisher people across the ice chasing flags. We had some good action, flag up over here flag up over there, it was intermintent and sporatic but good, but all the while NOTHING on " my " tip-ups ( well that's about to change ). Finally one of my flags goes up, I go running over and the reel rod is just-a-spinning. I pull up my tip-up, grab ahold of the line ( still pulling it's all good ) yank back to set the hook - holy crap it's a good one.
Now lets pause for a moment for some additional info. I have caught lots of pike before ( always on open water ), I have NEVER managed to get one threw the ice ( until now ).
Lets continue - so needless to say a little excited about hand lining a pike through the ice, hand over hand everythings going good. As I see this rather large head comming up the hole ( large compaired to the other pike that were making onto the ice ) everything is still going good. Then SNAP the leader broke and the pike was half way out......... think fast. I did my best football linebacker tackle and grab onto this pike ( musta looked like Eric Cartman going after the last cheezy poof in the bag ).On my way down I rolled my ankle ( thought that I had broken a bone or two in my foot ) Ouch.
OK now I got the pike ( still face down on the ice and with a really sore foot ) ......thinking to myself - ya gotta move, gotta do something can't stay here.
So I rolled over face to face with this pike on top of me ( so all I hear is " we should have got that on video tape " and laughter from all around ) . I let it loose on the ice on the side of me that didn't have a hole. So there I am laying on the ice beside my pike, slime all over my jacket and snow pants wimpering about my broken foot. Now with all the excitment and entertainment I managed to get up to my knees and Dietz passed me the pike for some pics ( everyone there was trully concerned for my well being ). The rest of the day ( 5 or 6 hours ) I limped around the ice ( trying not to show how much it really hurt and to enjoy the rest of the days fishing activities ). There were quite a few jokes and giggles at my expence ( most by myself ) it's all good, I wasn't there to break any ice speed records anyways. I did manage to ice one other pike that day, but it want back down the hole ( as did many others ). We even had a visit from the local F&W officer ( whom was very friendly - if every encounter with F&W was like that there would never be any issues with them at all ) The fishing was good, but the company was better - it was an awesome fishing excursion ( the drive home wasn't that great ( pain wise ), and you never know who you'll see on the road ). Sometimes you can't put a price on really good entertainment. I'll be limping around for a few days but that's OK - IT WAS WORTH IT !!!

For those who really care to know - my pike weighed in at just over 10lbs and was 34 inchs long ( and yes I DID keep it ).

On a side note jts1 did a fancy home plate baseball slide going for a tip-up, but that's another story ( not my story ).

Sorry guys/ girls I have no pics ( don't know how to post them even if I did ), jts1 has the pics and if he wants to post them thats cool if not thats OK with me too - its totally up to him.

Does anyone else have a painfull fishing story they would like to share ????

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

lonewolf
We were wondering what the commotion was all about...

I was there for the first time with a couple of friends and we saw all the commotion..

I wish we would have stopped by now to see, would have been nice to meet you guys..

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 03-22-2009, 07:13 PM

First time back on a fly rod in about 2 years.
Taken about a month ago while flyfishing on the bow.
Barb was pinched but didnt want to come out backwards, so I pushed it through and continued to fish for a couple of hours.
Cut the hook with side cutters by the body of the fly and pulled the rest through.
Not really painfull but I figured it would fit good in this thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Well I have a funny story and a puncture story, well hmm they are both funny to me lol... Anyways it was last year that we were out ice fishing and again the same as you my dad ran to go and grab his tip-up that was going off, well thats when all hell broke loose he was at full run to get the fish and in his exsitement his feet slipped out and he did one heck of a barrel roll the best part is he never skipped a beat and went on to reach his tip up with a roll it was awsome we bugged him and imitated him for the rest of the afternoon everyone getting a chuckle out of it...... the next story falls in hunting season, my dad and I were out for the day and split up, he was to walk down the fence line and do some rattling and I was to take up post and hopefully intercept a curious whitetail well while kneeling there my trick knee popped out it's like the knee cap moves to a side and locks my leg up not fun, so where I am lying on the ground taking up no post at this moment, but if a whitetail jumped over me I was ready luckily it was later on in our post so I just lay there just in case my dad got a chance at something. Well this was going to be a bad day for the both of us because as my dad returned to find me laying there he had news for me...... We needed he thought, to go to the hospital I said no I just needed a hand to pop my knee back it would be sore but i would manage. Thats when he informed me that it was not for me but for him, I ask why and he told me as he was walking he slipped and fell on to the rattling antler he was carry around his waist and the antler punctured a hole right into his ass cheack well holey crap, there he went dropping the drawers and yep it was a hell of a hole probally 5 or 6 inches deep . He said after it happened he grabbed on to thte antler and had to to give it a good pull to get it out, and more or less shocked himself over what had just occured.

We had a rough day, good thing the antler never ripped and muscle but slid in between the grps it was kinda crazy
Old 03-22-2009, 07:32 PM

I had my mother out ice fishing ( she was a senior ) and she tells me she has a Pike on. So I run over to give her a hand and as I look down the hole all I see is this large head go by the hole and the body is taking a while to pass threw. Holy c#%& this was big so I drop down to my knees to help when she gets the fish coming back to the hole. When I dropped down my lower part of the knee lands on a lump of ice, this is 220 lbs coming down on the knee!! All I heard was a large pop and I saw some really cool stars at high noon at that moment. As I roll over dying in pain my mom starts giving me heck for not helping her land this fish and to suck it up. In the end we landed a 20 lb Pike and I literaly had to crawl around packing up and crawl to the truck for a very painful drive home. I limped for a week and my knee was purple and full of water for a month.
Dodger.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:50 PM

You sure didn't look like you were in pain when we saw you on the highway! Glad to hear you guys had a great day, despite the pain
Old 03-23-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post
First time back on a fly rod in about 2 years.
Taken about a month ago while flyfishing on the bow.
Barb was pinched but didnt want to come out backwards, so I pushed it through and continued to fish for a couple of hours.
Cut the hook with side cutters by the body of the fly and pulled the rest through.
Not really painfull but I figured it would fit good in this thread

thats not so bad my buddy hooked me in the face on a float trip with a barbed hook, tryed so hard to get it out but no go, so we finshed our 6 hour float and went to the hospital. and did the nurses ever have a good laugh at me
Old 03-23-2009, 04:25 PM

My buddy had the fly in the arm thing happen to him. What made it worse was the fact that I couldn't stop laughing while I tried to pry it out with the pliers. Myself, the worst was having my thumb attached to a treble hook which in turn was attached to a spirited 3-4 lb. pike that was doing its best to attempt an airborne release. Getting hit in the temple with a 1 1/2 oz. pencil weight when the snag let free is a close second.