Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM

Default Cold Lake access and fishing

Hey Guys, heading out to Cold Lake this weekend. Anybody know how the access is for lake trout and if they are biting?
Can I get out in 4x4 or is it walk and how far out to the trout area?
Any updates over the next couple days will be greatly appreciated.
Salty:
Old 03-24-2009, 05:18 PM

Just got back in from fishing Cold Lake, "NO" vehicle except a sled or the man with the Snowbear is getting out there, sorry!! There is a freshly groomed trail from the provincial park but still too deep and soft for a vehicle, just ask the 2 people that were stuck there 20 minutes ago.I left the main trail on my quad and sank in less than 10 ft, high centred.There is easily 2 feet of snow till you hit the ice.Did manage 1 hammer handle.I have chains and still, no one is heading out to the lakers unless you have a sled.Best time of the season to fish and I think its all over but the crying.People will try this weekend, just like last, bring a tow rope, you will need it!!
Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 PM

Thanks tyee33, your help with Cold Lake is fantastic time and time again. I wanted to make a trip there this weekend, but I don't see it happening without a sled!

Anybody willing to take a Cold Lake newbie out on the lake this weekend? I can't offer much else besides a case of beer and some half-decent company.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:47 PM

Was out Sunday. I was one of 7 4X4's and 3 quads which were all assisted off the ice by a friendly local farmer with his tractor. With out him most of our vehicles would still be there. that being said I did catch some nice pike before getting caught in the storm. I still owe that farmer a lot of beer. I am just happy his friend was also stuck and called him to save our sorry ass..
Definitely a sled zone now. The snow is just too deep. And all though I tried to convince the wife I do not have a sled otherwise I would be up for it. Maybe next year... After I take her somewheres warm
Old 03-24-2009, 06:59 PM

I hear ya, frustrating living so close to the lake, looking at it everyday knowing that the lakers are more than likely biting like crazy and I cant get out there to where my hot spots are.Sold my sled 3 years ago when we had no snow, now....
Old 03-24-2009, 07:23 PM

Hey Tyee,
how far out to walk with snowshoes? I am going up to my cabin at fork lake and since it's so close be a shame not to go over to Cold lake to try.
Salty
Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 PM

I havent snowshoed since I was in the infantry 23 years ago!! Its 2.3kms from the launch to one of my spots that is not too far from where the path "was" that everyone fished for lakers 3 weeks ago.That is the closest that I personally fish to the provincial park for lakers, some others fish a little closer but still almost 2 kms and very hard going. Im beat from just walking from hole to hole checking my lines today.I like your idea, or at least the 20 year old me likes it.Let me know how you do.Hope you can get out before the season ends,cheers
Old 03-24-2009, 08:01 PM

Hey Tyee, I spent a lot of time attached to the infantry as a FOO Tech arty man from 84 to 91 so I know how it feels on the old body. Luckily I still do snow shoe once in a while but it ain't getting any easier. I don't miss the winter exercises with a tobaggan and arctic tent for a week !!!!
Salty
Old 03-25-2009, 09:57 AM

It is still getting to -20 at night up here, so I would think that most skidoo trails would be frozen down pretty good. I think you could just walk on a trail and have your snowshoes for backup.

Later in the afternoon when the snow gets soft might get a bit dicey, though.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:24 AM

Default Hey Tyee

Hey Tyee, just bought a snowmobile this morning so if you want to go out on Cold lake saturday I will transport you to all of your best spots so I can watch and learn..
Salty
PM sent
Old 03-25-2009, 01:25 PM

I might head up to the park tomorrow with my sled and snowshoes. I think I can get all my gear into my sled. Is that spot by the fish shacks any good for lakers?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:32 PM

The spots by the shacks is only 12 feet and they are fishing pike. Talked to the guys there sunday and they caught only one there this season. Trout are about 2-3 km out to the left. Usually you can see the guys out there but it is snowed in now hard to say if you will see anyone out there.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the tip. I might head up Little Bear instead. I'm stuck with this damned cold right now, but I'll see how I feel in the morning.