Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2007, 07:46 PM
nube

Default Heading to Gull on Wednesday ( where Should I fish)

I have never fished Gull lake but plan on going on Wed. We I am taking 2 of my kids with me and the buddy I am with is taking a couple of his. Where on the lake is the better fishing spots. We are going to target whitefish during the morning and evening because I heard that is when they bite the most. The rest of the time the kids can chase the tip ups around and catch pike and ling. Any suggestions on how deep, hooks to use, bait , where to go to make it fun for thekids?
Thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Roebag

I fished Gull yesterday and today all afternoon and only saw about 5 whitefish on the north west side. I heard that people are catching their limit though out in 20' at all different depths. I think they are going on at Parkland Beach and driving way out there (4x4 country forsure). We always fish the north west side cause it's just closer to home. Usually we do ok, Perch especially
Brownlow's Landing on the south side is as good as any for Whites. Lots of perch this year down there also I've heard, plus Brownlows puts you close to Pickeral Point. (First big point north of brownlows). This point consistantly catches huge pike. If we're going for pike we go to pickeral point.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:49 PM
nube

How do I get to Brownlow's? I go west on the bentley turnoff from highway 2 and then where?
Thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Drake

Follow the hwy on the south end of gull past the gas station and you should be able to find access within the next km. Its been a few years since ive been there........phone me if you want a better explanation
Old 02-26-2007, 02:48 AM
nube

Brian , you need to get your arse back to Alberta so you can come with me.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Roebag

Brownlows turn is marked. It's on hwy 12 west of the Gull Lake campgrounds. Turn north at the Brownlows sign and that takes you straight onto the lake.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:46 PM
7 REM MAG

phil screw the fishin he needs to get back here so i have someone to go up to the fort and kill a wolf with lol
Old 02-26-2007, 08:02 PM
AlbertaHunter

Default re

Jamie, was up there poking around last week few tracks not to much, deer are hurting up there were feeding on the pubic grass that the grader cleared on the side of teh road, thinking of going up this weekend and howling at them a bit, cant decide though cause seen some nice fields yesterday that im sure there are a few horns hiding in so if your up for either on saturday or sunday call me.

Chris
Old 02-27-2007, 12:40 AM
7 REM MAG

Default Re: re

k will do as a rule i dont go shed hunting i would much rather walk through a snow covered field to retrieve a downed yote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:41 PM
wildman

Default hey ROEBAG!!!!

hey dude,
do you (or anyone else) know how the Parkland Beach access onto the lake is this year???
been meaning to try it. may do so this weekend. thanks a bunch for any info.
cheers, gw.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Roebag

Default Re: hey ROEBAG!!!!

It's good. Seen several people cruising around on the lake in two wheel drives chained up.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:19 AM
wildman

thanks dude.
will definately post results if we make it out.
cheers, gw
Old 03-09-2007, 11:54 AM
7 REM MAG

hey nube how u guys make out? ake get his first ice monster?
chris u end up goin?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:11 AM
nube

I got my limit of whites and caught 2 keeper pike. Caught a couple other pike that I put back and had a big burbot on my wire worm for a while berore he got off.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:49 PM
perchfisher90

Hey nube...were you fishing parkland/sunnyside or birch bay? How far out? Thanks for the info, will prolly try it tomorrow and will post how I do.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:47 PM
nube

Default Re: hahaha

I have no Idea where I fished was called. It was on the northern east side. North of the big point if that helps. Another way to describe it is where the millions of people decided to park their trucks 20 yards away when I was the first one on the lake.>: It seemed like everytime I moved to where nobody was fishing then swarm of people would eventually make it over our way. What happened to good old courtesy of space? We fished in a big bay in 5 feet of water and caught a few fish and then we also fished out towards the middle of the lake in about 15 feet of water. I would still like some tips on how to catch burbot if anyone has any pointers. Hope I helped PERCHFISHER.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:43 PM
perchfisher90

Default Re: hahaha

by the sounds of it, you were at Wilsons beach. If you want burbot, have a jig and smelt ready for when you are after whites, when you see one cruise by, throw the jig down there fast! the burbot will turn around and take it 95% of the time. if you just wanna fish burbot, use the jig and smelt and jig it right near bottom, bouncing it on and off every once in a while. good luck!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Kyle

Default wow.

..you may as well post some pics of that 15 inch perch you claim to have caught. Care to enlighten?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:53 AM
lethalconnection

Default Re: wow.

Hey perch just curious but where is the pic of this 15" perch your talkin about?? Cause i know ive never seen one that big and if i were i would take a pic of it cause i know no one would believe me if i told anyone i caught one that big, it would be put under "one of those fishing stories". And as for kyle catching big fish and lots of fish uh well hate to break it to yah but the kid does both and hes good at it,and he has the pics to back up his stories.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:17 PM
perchfisher90

I know he catches some nice fish, he was on my msn for the longest time until I had to block him because he was so annoying. I still have pics of whitefish, pike, perch, grayling, and burbot bigger than his. All he owns me in is trout because the bow river is his back yard. You want pics of my 15 incher? here ya go.

By the way, you dont know the story. He claims that its a pic off the internet or something because the date on the pic is in 2004. My cam shut off just before i took the pic and when i turned it back on, it wanted a date...so i just punched in random numbers and not take the time because I wanted to get back to fishing.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:42 PM
lethalconnection

Well perch that is one heck of a perch now im not gunna criticize the size or if it is you cause i really dont care for stirring the pot but that is a nice perch by the looks of it. And i wasnt trying to bash your post i just wanted to see this perch and that you showed me. Now as for you having pics of bigger fish he will probably say he has pics of bigger fish and well im not a big fan of d##k measuring contests but im gunna have to believe you if you say you've caught big fish cause well how would i know any different.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:56 PM
bigbore

i remember that fish. ever Sick. not the only one in that lake
Old 03-13-2007, 09:44 PM
lol

Default lol

You two are way too funny. Kyle seems a little jealous!! Beautiful perch for sure!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Kyle

Default perch

definitely dont care about perch, if you care that much about perch..sure. YOUR THE KING OF PERCH.

the HUGE perch are still small, they suck at fighting, boring to catch..i dont like perch, only fish for em if its a last option. jealous about a perch LOL :rollin :rollin
Old 03-13-2007, 11:09 PM
tuffyy

Default Re: also

But they are the best eating,well after walleye that is...
Old 03-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Kyle

Default perch

those were 14-15 inch brookies..not too much hype to take pictures of me holding them.

i got a pic(if you wanna see one so bad) from today of my HOT new gf with her first pike today...
Old 03-14-2007, 12:52 AM
tuffyy

Guys,guys...Now these are Perch!!!

i31.photobucket.com/album...operch.jpg
Old 03-14-2007, 12:54 AM
perchfisher90

Nice fish! not much colour, are they the same yellow perch we have in alberta?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:58 AM
tuffyy

These are infact Yellow perch,you may notice that some large perch lose the brilliant colour they had when the were little wee ones...These are from a lake in Sweden.Home of really large Perch,Perchfisher it would likely be heaven for ya!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:59 AM
perchfisher90

No kidding, the one on the right would definatley be a record here!!!