Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2016, 09:42 AM

Default spray lakes bound on saturday

Hello all, I'm headed up to spray tomorrow, any one else? We are going to sparrowhawk. I'll be in the black sub zero 4 man tent with all the fish around it hahahaha. Drop by and say hello!!

Goose
Old 01-22-2016, 04:16 PM

Planning on doing the same, though I find the fish don't bite nearly as much when the weather's nice. I'll have Schaffer with me (see sig), and we have a dark green tent.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-22-2016, 08:11 PM

ill be heading up there as well. was at driftwood last 2 times ive been up.

got a couple questions.. i went further down the smith dorian road to the sparrowhawk boat launch but it looked to have a huge snow bank along the road and no parking ? .. is there a lot close by.. i ended up just turning around and going back to driftwood.

also .. ever stay for the afternoon / evening??. both times ive been out, we've had lines in around 8am and had some good success early on.. and then died after 11. we stayed till 2 and only got 1 in the final 3 hours. i am thinking about heading out tmrw afternoon
Old 01-22-2016, 08:17 PM

I packed! Ready and raring to go!
I'll be in a Frabill Trekkar 2 man.
First time out on Spray Lakes virgin.

Should be there by 11:00 if I can put the glass down!

How far is Sparrowhawk south (assuming south) on the Smith Dorian?

Last edited by Foot Stomper; 01-22-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:57 PM

5-10 min max. I didn't see much for a parking lot though. And the boat launch was cut off due to the snow pole creating a bank. So I am not sure if I had to go further as by that time i just turned around and went back up to driftwood.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:28 PM

I'm going to try to head out tomorrow morning. I'll have my dog with me and a blue hut
Old 01-22-2016, 09:32 PM

at sparrowhawk you just park on the side of the road
Old 01-23-2016, 05:27 PM

At Sparrowhawk today saw lots on my sonar, even had a couple hits in 96 FOW but nothing laying on top the ice...
The dog was a pain in the ass today but he enjoyed himself.

I'd sure like to know how to post pictures without the thumbnails... they can post in the body of the message...right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160123_122202.jpg (30.1 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg 20160123_122232.jpg (10.2 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 20160123_135608.jpg (15.0 KB, 223 views)
Old 01-23-2016, 08:06 PM

I had trouble getting out of bed, and arrived late morning, hoping to get into some whites. Missed the only bite of the day. Never saw a single fish (Wasn't looking when that one hit). Pressure ridge is starting to form along the drop-off.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-25-2016, 07:34 AM

Hi All, we had a blast at Sparrowhawk on Saturday, caught quite a few lakers and lost quite a few hahaha. We cooked up some whitetail smokies and enjoyed a warm meal at noon. The bite was really active till around 12:30. I was using a big green jig head with a powerbait white jig tail tipped with a third of a smelt and above that I had a #6 royal coachman tipped with 3-4 maggots tied 1 foot above the jig. The fly out caught the jig/smelt combo by 8-1 ratio. We were in 90 feet of water. I made a believer in my system to everyone that was around me lol. Footstomper I walked right past you on the way off the ice both me and my son seen your dog and wished we had brought ours. I forgot to check the forum before I left too bad would have been nice to meet everyone, perhaps another day.

cheers
Goose
Old 01-25-2016, 12:22 PM

I have fished spray a lot if u get lines in at 7:30 u will have a good hour or 2 bite. then it shuts up till around 4 in the afternoon then u will catch half as much fish as u would of had in morning. that is my experience of the lake for last 4 years anyway.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
Hi All, we had a blast at Sparrowhawk on Saturday, caught quite a few lakers and lost quite a few hahaha. We cooked up some whitetail smokies and enjoyed a warm meal at noon. The bite was really active till around 12:30. I was using a big green jig head with a powerbait white jig tail tipped with a third of a smelt and above that I had a #6 royal coachman tipped with 3-4 maggots tied 1 foot above the jig. The fly out caught the jig/smelt combo by 8-1 ratio. We were in 90 feet of water. I made a believer in my system to everyone that was around me lol. Footstomper I walked right past you on the way off the ice both me and my son seen your dog and wished we had brought ours. I forgot to check the forum before I left too bad would have been nice to meet everyone, perhaps another day.

cheers
Goose
Hey Goose! That's cool that you recognized me by the dog! Now I know I was in the right postal code! I'll try your techniques for sure!
Old 01-25-2016, 01:25 PM

I was also out there with a friend of mine and our kids. We were in the same location as you boys. The fish were biting but we only managed to land four. I came home and tied a bunch of stinger hooks for the next time we go out. It seemed like the fish were just lipping the smelt and not the hook.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:34 AM

The stinger idea is great we lost so many coming up from 90 feet.

Goose
Old 01-29-2016, 08:00 PM

Tapped out of work today. Grabbed the big baby (Aspen the springer... good dog!) Some meal worms too and headed out to Spray Lakes away from cell service and bad emails... (don't ask!).

Sparked my big buddy up, set up a tip up and hunkered in.

Landed a lake trout! Yahoo!!!

Packing up around 5ish and spooled in my inactive tip up to find another fish that wanted to meet my BBQ!

55FOW. Both fish full of small bait fish.

Gotta go... fish is ready!