Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2016, 08:47 AM

Default Jaw Jacker Review and Walleye Tips

https://youtu.be/Kxkmkp_CWsM

The Jaw Jacker ice fishing device is a great tool to put more fish on the ice while you are out on the water. This method combines a dead stick technique with a lethal trigger mechanism for instant hook ups. Best part about it is the fish is hooked on a rod so you can run over and play the fish to the surface. If you aren't a believer check out this step by step demo from set to the very surprising catch right at the end!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-27-2016, 08:58 AM

Thank you Brandon!! Gotta get me a couple of those things. That's a great video.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:07 AM

How much did you pay that walleye to bite then? lol

One thing I do differently is when setting my depth I drop the lure down to bottom then hold the rod tip at height of jaw jacker and reel up as high as I want. Less screwing around then trying to set it while the rod is already locked in place and less chance of getting hit with a rod.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
https://youtu.be/Kxkmkp_CWsM

The Jaw Jacker ice fishing device is a great tool to put more fish on the ice while you are out on the water. This method combines a dead stick technique with a lethal trigger mechanism for instant hook ups. Best part about it is the fish is hooked on a rod so you can run over and play the fish to the surface. If you aren't a believer check out this step by step demo from set to the very surprising catch right at the end!
Another nice vid. Thanks

Have you ever used a slip bobber knot as an indicator so you can reset faster? ie you slip the knot into position (either just above or and inch or so below the ice (so it does not freeze into the forming ice at the surface on a cold day) That way you don't have to re-measure every time it goes off.

Thanks again
Old 01-27-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Another nice vid. Thanks

Have you ever used a slip bobber knot as an indicator so you can reset faster? ie you slip the knot into position (either just above or and inch or so below the ice (so it does not freeze into the forming ice at the surface on a cold day) That way you don't have to re-measure every time it goes off.

Thanks again
Nope as you see it takes me a few seconds to set the depth. The hook always falls to bottom and just raise it up a few inches. I wouldn't want anything on the line there cause like you say it could freeze in the ice.

Rav yak I used to do it like you but this is how I do it now since I find when I take both hands and measure it out I see how far I am off the bottom better. Just a menatal thing.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:46 AM

Another good video Brandon ........ I love my jaw jacker and it's deadly some days, particularly when the fish want a still bait. I'm sure someone is bound to sponsor you soon !!!! There really is no better reviews out there other than that of real life product testers like us.

I also use the method of setting the depth the same way RavYak does. I know the rod tip, on a fully loaded jaw jacker is going to be 3"-4" from the surface when it's set up in it's final resting position. So I hold my rod tip 3"-4" above the water and find the bottom and just reel up to where I want it. Then I set the rod aside on the ice, set up the jacker and put the rod into the jacker and load it up.

That way there is no need to adjust anything in a fully loaded, ready to explode and take your eye out, jaw jacker.

The jaw jacker is, by a long shot, the best self hook setting tool to use on the market and worth every penny.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the video. Informative as always.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:04 AM

that was a great video and the bite at the end couldnt have been timed better.

if theres a better salesman for slender spoons and jawjackers i havent met him yet.

You should be getting boxes of free stuff from both those companies.

Keep em coming. Always great stuff.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:55 PM

Great video. I love my JJ, I just need a little more experience with setting the trigger sensitivity. There are few things more exciting than hearing the JJ snap and seeing your rod moving frantically.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:02 PM

Well done Brandon!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:04 PM

Fantastic video man, unreal timing with that bite right at the end, amazing. have enjoyed several of your videos, keep up the good work.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:14 PM

Great info, I'll be using mine in a couple of weeks for the first time at slave staying in overnighter cabin..
Old 01-27-2016, 03:54 PM

That was a great vid! That wally was just waiting for his 15 seconds of fame!
Old 01-27-2016, 04:32 PM

What is the cost of one of these?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:37 PM

Another video featuring the best fisherman I know!!

Of course I'm referring to the JJ.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:31 PM

I have been thinking about buying a Jaw Jacker as I hate messing around with the tip ups. That catch at the end just sold me!
Old 01-27-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembina View Post
What is the cost of one of these?
About 55 bucks all in.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:04 PM

Great Video.....awesome ending
Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 PM

Hey - great video! I think I'll get one of those!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:15 PM

Great video, as always
Old 01-27-2016, 11:10 PM

Default Jaw Jacker Review and Walleye Tips

I'm going to make some, I think $50 is too much honestly. I'm not doubting its effectiveness, and I've spent a lot more on gear, but it's hard to spend $50 on essentially a tip-up.

Plus I take people/kids out and if I can make these, I can make one for everybody. Yet I'll probably buy one to compare the DIY's against.

Great video and instructions. Should be part of the package when you buy one.

Last edited by PlayDoh; 01-27-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
I'm going to make some, I think $50 is too much honestly. I'm not doubting its effectiveness, and I've spent a lot more on gear, but it's hard to spend $50 on essentially a tip-up.

Plus I take people/kids out and if I can make these, I can make one for everybody. Yet I'll probably buy one to compare the DIY's against.

To me it is worth it, I have four and set them up when I take the kids out and the wife.... then they actually catch fish!

You can build them but I don't think it will have as sensitive a trigger mechanism. This thing you can set it so light so if you breath on it the thing will go off basically, good luck though. I think they are cheaper than 55 at Cabelas, but maybe once taxes are in could be. The ones I've seen people build are big and bulky. Please post pics of yours once you have created it, would be nice to see if you can produce something better than most guys do online. I built some before I bought the Jaw Jacker... they don't work too well haha.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:28 AM

Been out twice with the jaw jacker and its outfished me every time this thing really works good and handy with kids im gonna have to get a couple more
Old 01-28-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
To me it is worth it, I have four and set them up when I take the kids out and the wife.... then they actually catch fish!

You can build them but I don't think it will have as sensitive a trigger mechanism. This thing you can set it so light so if you breath on it the thing will go off basically, good luck though. I think they are cheaper than 55 at Cabelas, but maybe once taxes are in could be. The ones I've seen people build are big and bulky. Please post pics of yours once you have created it, would be nice to see if you can produce something better than most guys do online. I built some before I bought the Jaw Jacker... they don't work too well haha.

Thanks. Actually I had thought it would be fairly simple to build some, yet after watching your video I see it will be a bit more complicated.
I'll definitely have to buy one and have a good close look at it. I like to build stuff and even if I only save 50 cents I can brag about it.
Plus I know I'm getting old by how everything seems overpriced, lol.
I'm with everyone else and think you should be getting some swag for this, if not on the JJ pro-staff. I haven't really looked into them that much, but I learnt more from your vid than I have in over a year of seeing and hearing about them.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post

$50 doesn't buy you a whole lot anymore. For the price of parts, and my time, it's worth it to me to just buy one. To me it's like saving $15 and doing an oil change yourself, just not worth it.

It's a different story when you have a bunch of people with you, like you mentioned. Buying 5 or 6 JJs would be a tough pill to swallow.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 AM

Ha what are the odds. This should get sent to jj.
It definitely out fished me some days.
This is a great tutorial for someone who is new with their jaw jacker.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Hunter View Post
Ha what are the odds. This should get sent to jj.
It definitely out fished me some days.
This is a great tutorial for someone who is new with their jaw jacker.
Yeah I sent a message to Jaw jacker
They might sende a few of there new rods for pike and lake trout to try 36"
So that would be cool.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:54 AM

Great Video Cant wait to get out this weekend and try my new jawJackers on Walleye, I'm guessing should work just fine for Burbs aswell!!!!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
If you have a 3D printer, you can print a design of something similar that works well, that I created about 3 year years ago, for virtually free:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:77050

If you don't have a 3D printer, then a Jawjacker will be cheaper.

Jawjacker packs down smaller, but my design is more reliable and easier to tune.
I haven't really experienced the changing tension you describe. The only time it is completely ruined is if you get the trigger wet. That's why I always pick the jaw jacker up and move it out of the way. I was catching fish on it with a completely froze over hole as well no problem. I'll be posting the videos eventually.