Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-25-2016, 05:26 PM

Default fishing hole

Picked up a aqua view remote tripod had it for 3 weeks used it twice and its dead, they tested it and said the batteries were good they dont know whats wrong. Im told that I need to contact the company in MN to find out what they will do for me, not very happy about that thought the FISHING HOLE would replace it seeing how its been used twice i do alot of shopping there and have for quiet awhile dont think i will be going back after this. Hard to get the people selling this stuff to stand behind what they are selling live and learn i guess kinda sucks not having it in and out of the tent. Good luck to all in your fishing adventures.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:37 PM

If you purchased it from Canadian Tire, they'd have exchanged it for you!

Damn shame when you try to support the local businessman and get screwed!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:53 PM

The Fishing Hole is not responsible for warranty. I have been noticing more and more warranty cards state to not return to the dealer where purchased for warranty. 3 weeks is a long time even if you only used it 2 or 3 times. If they exchanged it and sent it back and it was repaired and not replaced then they would not be able to resell that as a new unit but would have to sell it as a used unit at probably below what it cost them. Most people don't think about that. And it this applies to all retailers who are not a certified warranty repair center for what they sell.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:14 PM

It is often the manufacturers requirement. Had the same issue with Canadian Tire with a portable vacuum and was told I had to contact the manufacturer as it worked when purchases two weeks prior. Not sure buying elsewhere would have resulted in a different outcome.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I would like to buy everything from the fishing hole because they have good service, pleasant / knowledgable staff and I like to support independent local business.

But I no longer buy larger ticket items that will possibly fail from TFH because it's the manufacturers problem once you have it. They will help you return it to them or tell you which warranty center to go to, but with manufacturers often not even supporting their own products, a good return policy with retailers is essential.

So I recently purchased an auger from Cabelas instead which will take it back up to 90 days. Cabelas seem to have Bass Pro beat for return policies too.

But I do understand, Cabelas has more muscle with their suppliers than TFH, TFH would likely start losing money fast if they adopted a Cabelas type policy.
Agree 100% on all points - except I will buy the big ticket items from TFH as they will match the price. Cabela's does, however, pretty much exchange you for a new one if you break something - which is way better.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:52 AM

[QUOTE=lilsundance;3120006]The Fishing Hole is not responsible for warranty. I have been noticing more and more warranty cards state to not return to the dealer where purchased for warranty. 3 weeks is a long time even if you only used it 2 or 3 times. If they exchanged it and sent it back and it was repaired and not replaced then they would not be able to resell that as a new unit but would have to sell it as a used unit at probably below what it cost them. Most people don't think about that. And it this applies to all retailers who are not a certified warranty repair center for what they sell.[/QUOTE]

Don't blam TFH. I prefer there customer service to anyone else. Too bad they are too far away from me now.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:56 AM

I have been going to the fishing hole for many years, and have never had problems with exchanges or returns. The staff there are extremely knowledgeable and always willing to help. I have noticed at the other big box stores that the if I ask for advice it's almost comical the answers I receive 9 times out of ten. I was having some problems with my underwater fishing camera, they were nice enough to let me bring it in and plug another camera into it to narrow down the problem. These guys will go out of their way to help from my experience and you won't get that anywhere else.
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 01-26-2016, 01:57 PM

I go there quite often and have never had a problem. The staff always seems know what they're talking about. Definitely more personable service than most places in my opinion.
Good to know about the return issue though now I'm second guessing.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:05 PM

Bye bye, have fun dealing with WSS and Cabelas lol...
Old 01-26-2016, 03:13 PM

Default Fishin Hole

I have had great service...I'm not local though, so I deal with the on-line order department. They have replace my Marcum Pancam I think 4 times in the last year and a half and I think I finally got a good one! Marcum also backed them up.

We have a Wholesale sports up here in GP and I'd rather pay shipping than buy there...bought a vacuum sealer there and asked the return policy and was told 30 days and I got a defective one. Went back the next day and was told that they don't do returns on those because it is a food item. I made them do the return but it was not fun.

Good luck in your travels, but I'm still happy with The fishin hole.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:36 PM

Default fishing hole

I would like to thank most of you for your point of view didnt realize how things work with returns, the guys there are very helpful and do know there stuff thanks for all the info.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:42 AM

Your remote is not talking to the main unit. Happen to me a couple times. No real reason for it but the fix is very simple and covered in the Aquaview videos under resetting the remote.
All you do is remove the 3 screws, remove the cover, look for a red button, push it and the remote/ main unit will reset and "talk" to each other once again. Very simple operation
Old 01-28-2016, 01:38 AM

I have supported TFH for 25 years now, the staff are allways friendly and knowledgeable and have competitive pricing. Since the 97st store closed wholesale is at closer and gets my money for rigs & bait for my evenings at the river and TFH for my weekend lake trips. Both great stores with great selection and service.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:32 AM

Bought a Lowrance universal portable pack to use for ice fishing with one of my HDS5's. Bought early this month and ordered HDS adapter kit.

Kit came and put together but case will not close. Doesnt fit with HDS5.

WSS stamped "final sale" on receipt so I guess Im stuck with it. Anyone have any issues with Final Sale stuff from WSS? Did they take it back?

Have had no issues with Cabelas, BP or Fishin Hole with returns.

Wish we had one of them in Lethbridge rather than WSS.

Spent a lot of money in there too. That will change.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Bought a Lowrance universal portable pack to use for ice fishing with one of my HDS5's. Bought early this month and ordered HDS adapter kit.

WSS stamped "final sale" on receipt so I guess Im stuck with it. Anyone have any issues with Final Sale stuff from WSS? Did they take it back?

The HDS 5 has to be turned around facing backward in order to close the case. Then the case closes just fine.

I must say though the Humminbird case I bought is much better thought out and about 1/4 the price. I do like the fact that the Lawrance case will hold 2 9 amph batteries though
Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
The HDS 5 has to be turned around facing backward in order to close the case. Then the case closes just fine.

I must say though the Humminbird case I bought is much better thought out and about 1/4 the price. I do like the fact that the Lawrance case will hold 2 9 amph batteries though
Thanks for the tip cube! Even tried mounting with 2 holes but never thought of turning around.

Original poster-sorry for the high jack.

Edit: Got it in the bag and zipped. Thanks again cube!

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 01-28-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d bowhunter View Post
Picked up a aqua view remote tripod had it for 3 weeks used it twice and its dead, they tested it and said the batteries were good they dont know whats wrong. Im told that I need to contact the company in MN to find out what they will do for me, not very happy about that thought the FISHING HOLE would replace it seeing how its been used twice i do alot of shopping there and have for quiet awhile dont think i will be going back after this. Hard to get the people selling this stuff to stand behind what they are selling live and learn i guess kinda sucks not having it in and out of the tent. Good luck to all in your fishing adventures.
Did you have your receipt?
Old 01-29-2016, 11:54 PM

I bought a Marcum camera from there three years ago and it died about 2 weeks in. TFH exchanged it with another they had in stock without any issues. Unfortunately the second one also died within 1 week and TFH didn't have any more in stock or they would have exchanged it again.

I ended up sending it back to Marcum for a replacement unit and that one has lasted the entire three years. Marcum's service is top notch too. They replaced the camera last year for free after it flooded with water as well.

Even though it sounds like the Marcum is plagued with reliability problems, I would still buy another one due to the great service at TFH and Marcum.

I think my current one should last for many more years if I take care of it. **knock on wood**
Old 01-30-2016, 12:06 AM

Always had a good experience with TFH. Most stores do not do warranty so I don't see why these guys should be any different.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:11 AM

Default lowrance case

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post

I think WSS is a little lost with there policy and training. They have lost touch on customer service.

I bought one of those cases from the fishin hole and have my HDS 5 mounted - not sure how mine is different, but I am able to close the zipper if I loosen off the mount screws on the sides and let the hds5 swivel down...I don't have to turn it around.

Are there several mounting screw holes for mounting the gimble bracket to the base? I might have mounted mine farther back..not sure.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcward View Post
I think WSS is a little lost with there policy and training. They have lost touch on customer service.

I bought one of those cases from the fishin hole and have my HDS 5 mounted - not sure how mine is different, but I am able to close the zipper if I loosen off the mount screws on the sides and let the hds5 swivel down...I don't have to turn it around.

Are there several mounting screw holes for mounting the gimble bracket to the base? I might have mounted mine farther back..not sure.
Maybe there is a difference in the bags. I even tried mounting by using only 2 screws so half the mount was only contacted. Problem there though was the little plastic reinforcing fins between the two tall pillars would have needed trimming.