Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-11-2017, 11:12 PM

Default Newb questions

So, I am a long time shooter, but never have hunted. I have a bunch of questions about how things are done.

I have done a bunch of reading, but it doesn't really answer my questions so hopefully someone can help me out. I did do my hunter safety course over the winter so, in order to go deer hunting what do I do?

-Do I need to apply for tags? Or can you just go to your local hunting store and purchase them for the WMU you want?

-I believe certain areas are a draw system, but are all areas draws or just some?

These are just a couple questions of many, but it's a start. Any help would be appreciated.

Jay
Old 05-12-2017, 06:25 AM

Unfortunately, you need to do more reading. If you go to the regulations and look at the section that lists the seasons for each wmu, it tells you which licenses are available for each wmu. It tells you whether there is a general season for a given species in that wmu, or whether you must draw a tag in that wmu.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:21 AM

If there is a black square next to the dates then that selection of animal in that wmu needs a draw tag which is only valid for the specific wmu that the draw tag is pointed to. If there is no square next to the dates, then a general tag can be used for that wmu and all the other general wmu places too. But make sure you read what the general tag lets you get because each wmu allows different types with the general. 330 for example lets you have antlered or antlerless whitetail, 316 allows antlered whitetail early in and later on allows does. Each and every wmu has its own characterists to learn.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayba View Post
So, I am a long time shooter, but never have hunted. I have a bunch of questions about how things are done.

I have done a bunch of reading, but it doesn't really answer my questions so hopefully someone can help me out. I did do my hunter safety course over the winter so, in order to go deer hunting what do I do?

-Do I need to apply for tags? Or can you just go to your local hunting store and purchase them for the WMU you want?

-I believe certain areas are a draw system, but are all areas draws or just some?

These are just a couple questions of many, but it's a start. Any help would be appreciated.

Jay

Been a few long years since I did my training. Don't they go over these very basic, foundational items in the course???? I'm not criticizing you at all. I'm sort of surprised that it isn't in lesson 1.

I don't believe the new regulations are out yet, so read last year's. They won't be much different. Then come on back with any questions you still have and we will be happy to help you out.

http://albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/
Old 05-12-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Been a few long years since I did my training. Don't they go over these very basic, foundational items in the course???? I'm not criticizing you at all. I'm sort of surprised that it isn't in lesson 1.

I don't believe the new regulations are out yet, so read last year's. They won't be much different. Then come on back with any questions you still have and we will be happy to help you out.

I took my training last summer and was very surprised to find out that this information wasn't in the course at all.

To OP, along with reading the regs I'd recommend downloading iHunter AB. It helps to easily list out the species available on general tag in the wmu you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

I was very surprised that none of this stuff was in the online course. It was mostly safety and a little bit about wildlife. I was disappointed, as I thought it would help newbies navigate the very things I have questions about.

Appreciate everyones responses!

Jay
Old 05-13-2017, 06:17 PM

After reading the responses and more reading I have one last question. Do you need to apply or enter a draw for a general tag in a particular WMU you wish to hunt in?
Old 05-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Banned

It's in the regulations all in there, read and read them again, general tags are not draw. You have to put in for draws to hunt some zones like stated above
Old 05-13-2017, 06:58 PM

I would make a couple hunting buddies and tag along with them for the 1st season. between them, the hunter safety course and the regs, you will get a solid education on how everything works.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:11 PM

Since nobody will give you an answer here goes.

Yes you can go buy a general tag for some species. Elk white tail and bear. At least in most wmu's they are general. I'm new as well and understand that the regs can be confusing.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Jay
Hey Jay,

Having suffered through the process a couple years ago myself, the information is definitely out there but it can be one hell of a rat's nest to sort through at the beginning. This is by no means comprehensive, but this should give you a pretty good start and it's better than anything I ever got:

Seeing as you have your PAL (assumed) & your AHEIA course under your belt, here's where you should start:

1) WIN Card:
In order to buy any tag or put in for any draws, you have to get a Wildlife Identification Number. Go to the website below, create your account, pay the fee, and get familiar with the site.
https://www.albertarelm.com/licensing.page
2) Regs:
The Alberta Hunting Regulations should be your starting point for determining what you can and can't hunt, where you can and can't hunt it, when you can and can't hunt it, and how you can and can't hunt it.

While they may seem complicated at first, the baseline info in here that you need to understand is not too difficult. 80% of the **** you'll catch on this forum and 90% of the **** you'll catch from F&W will be a result of you not taking the time to read and understand the Regs and how they apply to what you're hunting. I cannot stress this enough... read. the. Regs.
3) The Draw:
Seeing as you've now memorized the regs, you should understand whether or not your desired animal is General or Draw in the area that you plan on hunting.
If General: Ignore this step, wait until August 1st, head to your local hunting/fishing store, buy your tag and scout your heart out until your season opens.
If Draw: Wait until the draw opens, put in for the tags you want, wait until the results come out. On result day seeing as it's your first year, have a few beer on hand to drown your sorrows yet (you'll likely be unsuccessful). The next day, start planning your General hunt. Wait until August 1st and go buy your General tag.
4) Locations/Access:
Depending on who you know/where you want to hunt, getting access can be the most difficult part of the whole process. Hopefully you gave this some thought when you picked your draw locations. Knock on some doors, build some relationships, and don't be an asshat. After a while, you'll find a few good areas to hunt. Alternatively, you can head into the public land.
Welcome to the family. More hunters means better chances at getting the required funds into the proper hands for conservation and better access. Best of luck and watch the wind.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
I would make a couple hunting buddies and tag along with them for the 1st season. between them, the hunter safety course and the regs, you will get a solid education on how everything works.
^ What Phil said. Nothing will help you skip over the first few unnecessary lessons faster than having someone with experience walk you through the first year.

I definitely wish I had had that.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:28 PM

Default many great podcasts available

There are many great podcasts out there on the subject of hunting.
Ones I like The Meat Eater, Hunt Backcountry, Jay Scott Outdoors, Randy Newberg.
Those are ones I've gotten good info from.

Myself and a good friend and hunting partner recently started recording our own. Highlander Hunting Podcast. On iTunes and Google Play. We're trying to put lots of Alberta focused info on there for diy backcountry hunting. A newbie would definitley find some useful info.
Pretty sure we're the first/only Alberta hunting podcast.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Read the regs, re-read the regs, sometimes people put their own twist on a reg and mislead people...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-18-2017, 06:44 AM

Too bad that we can't have a monthly get together someplace quiet that serves a beverage or two and go over regs for the newbies.....

I've been a life long hunter and have a ton of stuff on the go, but would gladly spend 1-2 hours a month if a meeting could be gathered. I'm sure that others would gladly volunteer to help as well. If a Calgary meeting can be organized, I'll do my best to be there...

To the OP (and others) start deciphering the regs now as the month of June is when draws are applied for. Doesn't matter when during the time period you apply; it's not a race. First in doesn't guarantee anymore chance of getting a tag versus last in (assuming both have same priorities)

J.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I was very surprised that none of this stuff was in the online course. It was mostly safety and a little bit about wildlife. I was disappointed, as I thought it would help newbies navigate the very things I have questions about.

Appreciate everyones responses!

Jay
Regulations tend to change at times so it would be very difficult to teach them .
Reading the regulations over is the best thing to do , I always keep a set on hand , preferring to read them in hard cover as opposed to online
Cat
Old 05-18-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump View Post
Hey Jay,

Having suffered through the process a couple years ago myself, the information is definitely out there but it can be one hell of a rat's nest to sort through at the beginning. This is by no means comprehensive, but this should give you a pretty good start and it's better than anything I ever got:

Seeing as you have your PAL (assumed) & your AHEIA course under your belt, here's where you should start:

1) WIN Card:
In order to buy any tag or put in for any draws, you have to get a Wildlife Identification Number. Go to the website below, create your account, pay the fee, and get familiar with the site.
https://www.albertarelm.com/licensing.page
2) Regs:
The Alberta Hunting Regulations should be your starting point for determining what you can and can't hunt, where you can and can't hunt it, when you can and can't hunt it, and how you can and can't hunt it.

While they may seem complicated at first, the baseline info in here that you need to understand is not too difficult. 80% of the **** you'll catch on this forum and 90% of the **** you'll catch from F&W will be a result of you not taking the time to read and understand the Regs and how they apply to what you're hunting. I cannot stress this enough... read. the. Regs.
3) The Draw:
Seeing as you've now memorized the regs, you should understand whether or not your desired animal is General or Draw in the area that you plan on hunting.
If General: Ignore this step, wait until August 1st, head to your local hunting/fishing store, buy your tag and scout your heart out until your season opens.
If Draw: Wait until the draw opens, put in for the tags you want, wait until the results come out. On result day seeing as it's your first year, have a few beer on hand to drown your sorrows yet (you'll likely be unsuccessful). The next day, start planning your General hunt. Wait until August 1st and go buy your General tag.
4) Locations/Access:
Depending on who you know/where you want to hunt, getting access can be the most difficult part of the whole process. Hopefully you gave this some thought when you picked your draw locations. Knock on some doors, build some relationships, and don't be an asshat. After a while, you'll find a few good areas to hunt. Alternatively, you can head into the public land.
Welcome to the family. More hunters means better chances at getting the required funds into the proper hands for conservation and better access. Best of luck and watch the wind.
Come on now, why bother with preparation before the draws? Just start applying for every draw listed, then discover that you can't purchase an elk tag for the general season because you drew an antler less elk tag.Perhaps you will luck out with a lottery sheep or goat tag, only to discover later how much work is involved, and then you won't bother, and the tag will be wasted. These things happen every year, because many people do no research, and put no thought into their draws. So please do yourself and the other hunters a favor, and learn what license combinations you can apply for in a year, and look where the hunting area is, and what would be involved to hunt that location, before you apply.A little planning and preparation now, benefits everyone later.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
After reading the responses and more reading I have one last question. Do you need to apply or enter a draw for a general tag in a particular WMU you wish to hunt in?
No. General tags are just that. Buy them across the counter, and they are good for a number of WMU's. Special licenses are what you must apply and be drawn for (based on priority points) and are usually just for one WMU. Just be aware of the combinations of license you can and can't buy. It's in the regulations. For example, you can't get an elk special license and a general license.