Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
You don't understand. I love walking, in fact the majority of my hunting is done on my two feet. That said in Bob Creek it was great to be able to quad a tent to the north end and stay for a few days. And the quads sit for a few days while we hunt out of the camp.

Your desire to shut down areas should not supersede my desire to keep an area as is.

As far as major OHV damage in Bob Creek, there is none. The cattle are what you should really be worried about there...
I think you and I have been misunderstanding each other on here. I am not trying to shut down any area to ohv use. never have. I used to own one, found it boring, sold it.
I like bob creek a lot. even with atvs. When i originally said bob creek will be a good place in a few years. What I meant in a joking way was there will hopefully be less hunters. Because the only thing i dont like about the place is that other people like it too.

My theory about why bob creek isnt all torn up by OHVs is because of the size restrictions, no bikes, and there's no trailer camping.

Personally, I don't think the atv ban is temporary. On saturday there were fresh signs up and they were made of metal, not those thin plastic ones they sometimes use. I'm not saying that to **** people off, just my gut feeling.

As far as the Castle goes. I guess it's going to stink for lots of guys who love riding in there. And it's going to put more hunting pressure on other places, like the Porkies. But the die is cast. It's done.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:05 PM

Check out our podcast "Highlander Hunting" on ITunes and google play. We just interviewed Neil from BHA Alberta and spoke about this in detail. That episode is coming out next Tuesday. Follow this link to see our Facebook page
https://m.facebook.com/highlanderhun...=page_internal
Old 05-18-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

Bob Creek has been a park for years. No-one is taking away hunting rights.

I can see that ATVers are annoyed when places they like to access are restricted, but trying to argue that its the thin edge of the wedge UN conspiracy, etc etc is just silly.

A 10km by 10km chunk of land you can cruise in an hour on a quad is by definition going to be less wild, more heavily impacted and see more casual hunting pressure than a piece of land that's non motorized.

Its simple math based on speed of travel and ease of access. Something that takes a day to hike across is going to feel different and hold more game than something that's motor accessible.

As Alberta's population continues to increase - 4 million and counting, the demand for areas where you can get away from crowds is increasing and these areas are becoming increasingly rare.

Its the same reason that AFGA and ACA lands are all non motorized too - and no-one accuses them of being anti-hunting.

Closed to vehicles is not the same as closed. Nowhere in Alberta is closed to Albertans.