Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-30-2016, 07:37 AM

Default great day on the ice for perch!

great day last WE, nailing some perch!

Great tip that is important for guys to remember is that an entire school of perch can be present within a 10 yard diameter circle, so make sure you drill lots of holes and try each of them

There were a couple holes 10 yards away that nearly showed nothing on the marcum! This one hole had fish all day long, including about a 15 lb pike too!

the only time all day when the flasher didn't show perch was when the jaw jacker went off in a hole I drilled a few feet away from the perch hole, and I was along for a ride with the 15 lb pike hahaha he scared them all away it seemed.
all the best, and be careful with the trucks guys...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12650803_10153825929161070_5269280944758761619_n.jpg (78.9 KB, 506 views)
Old 01-30-2016, 08:15 AM

Good work Fished a new Perch Lake last weekend drill 80 holes in 9 diffrent location on the lake and finally located the perch ended up catching a couple dandy 13" perch but a tone of small perch around 3".
Old 01-30-2016, 08:19 AM

Nice! I have a fishing buddy that is always drilling new holes. I tease him about trolling but by the end of the day he's usually into good fish
Old 01-30-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Good work Fished a new Perch Lake last weekend drill 80 holes in 9 diffrent location on the lake and finally located the perch ended up catching a couple dandy 13" perch but a tone of small perch around 3".
a tonne of 3", geez sounds familiar hahah
I wonder if we ran into each other ahhahah
were the big ones deeper? I stayed at about 15'
Old 01-30-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
Nice! I have a fishing buddy that is always drilling new holes. I tease him about trolling but by the end of the day he's usually into good fish
hahhaha I think one of our biggest mistakes is not moving around, unless one spot is always on fire, I think we should move around lots, I always laugh at myself icefishing when I think when in the Summer if I am in a boat do I sit on a spot all day..never hahaha
Old 01-30-2016, 09:15 AM
Banned

Congrats on a nice day of perch fishing. It's been some time now since Iv'e caught some perch.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:34 AM

Sit and stay an make em pay.....If you are in the right depth the schools will pass your way....enjoy the outdoors.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
Sit and stay an make em pay.....If you are in the right depth the schools will pass your way....enjoy the outdoors.
would you do this in the summer?
Old 01-30-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Congrats on a nice day of perch fishing. It's been some time now since Iv'e caught some perch.
thanks man, it was a lotta fun
Old 01-30-2016, 09:43 AM

Moving around is great if you are portable or the weather is good ..... 100% agree.

Unfortunately, when its cold, and you have a tent, heater, propane tank, mats, camera, chairs, etc... it sucks having to move. I have been a victim o setting up in a good area that turns of like a light switch as the perch move later in the day.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Moving around is great if you are portable or the weather is good ..... 100% agree.

Unfortunately, when its cold, and you have a tent, heater, propane tank, mats, camera, chairs, etc... it sucks having to move. I have been a victim o setting up in a good area that turns of like a light switch as the perch move later in the day.
no doubt it's a pain to move your whole home away from home hahah
hahaha
We often leave the truck, drill a bunch of holes, and leave the auger near the last holes if we think we are going deeper, and just walk with a few rods and the flasher to each spot, even with the tent we'll leave it on one spot and come back to get warm, but then leave the tent and go try the ice hole mine field again haha

in the end we all know it's all about having fun and just getting out there
Old 01-30-2016, 01:41 PM

Foothilz...In summer I normally troll for trout. The many years of fishing experience -and many perch I landed have shown me the perch are located about the "Pencil weeds" and that's where I fish. From looking down the hole, with a few egg shells that reflect the light, you can see the migration along the shoreline. Works for me.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Foothilz...In summer I normally troll for trout. The many years of fishing experience -and many perch I landed have shown me the perch are located about the "Pencil weeds" and that's where I fish. From looking down the hole, with a few egg shells that reflect the light, you can see the migration along the shoreline. Works for me.

totally, if you're catching fish and having a great time, you have it made in the shade
have a great day
Adam
Old 01-30-2016, 05:07 PM

You as well.....tight lines. Ken
Old 01-30-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
You as well.....tight lines. Ken
thanks Ken