Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2016, 10:26 PM

Default Stocked rainbow ponds near Edmonton?

Looking to ge my kids out but still fishing for stocked rainbows isn't hpw I usually roll.

Any suggestions on where and what to use for bait? I used to use pickerel rigs and powerbait and I remember it being mostly slow. LOL
Old 06-07-2016, 10:58 PM

Cardiff pond, east pit lake is very nice but prepare to walk about half a click. Use spoons, they seem to work better than power bait or pickerel rigs plus no need to reload bait almost each cast.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2016, 11:06 PM

Thanks! It's been a while. I used to fish there but always used bait or maybe the odd spinner. I remember catching a lot of small perch there too sometimes. I never did fish Morinville pond. Hermitage is close but has never been that good as far as I remember
Old 06-08-2016, 07:37 AM
Banned

I have always had the greatest success with a #8 J hook and 1/2 a dew worm. The real secret that I will reveal for the first time is this.......Just toss the baited hook out as far as you can and just let it sit on the bottom doing it's own thing. Slowly reel it in after 10 min or so and cast again. Very rare to catch on retrieve.
When you check stomach contents of trout you will find lots of weeds and snails. The trout get right into weeds/bottom to search for food.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Bobber and worm, or slip sinker rig with floating power bait. You'll deep hook every fish so plan on keeping them.

Also, minimize the running around and screaming right beside the water, trout will vacate the area you can cast to fairly quickly. If the kids want to goof off take them up away from the shore (that is if you care about catching fish). Never ceases to amaze me how I get guys coming up to me asking about what bait I'm using, when their dogs/kids have pounded and splashed the shoreline for an hour. All good fun, and I'm not criticizing, but not conducive to catching.

No perch left in Cardiff. Winterkilled.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Bobber and worm, or slip sinker rig with floating power bait. You'll deep hook every fish so plan on keeping them.

Also, minimize the running around and screaming right beside the water, trout will vacate the area you can cast to fairly quickly. If the kids want to goof off take them up away from the shore (that is if you care about catching fish). Never ceases to amaze me how I get guys coming up to me asking about what bait I'm using, when their dogs/kids have pounded and splashed the shoreline for an hour. All good fun, and I'm not criticizing, but not conducive to catching.

No perch left in Cardiff. Winterkilled.
Very good tip about making noise and disturbing things near where you fish.
I have never heard of or seen a perch come out of cardiff. Bet the Crayfish survived.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:42 PM

I tried my luck at Hermitage around 8:30 pm yesterday for an hour and didn't even get a nibble. I was using power bait trout dough and cheese on a pickerel rig. They were jumping all around me, just didn't like what I was offering apparently.

But being the stubborn bugger that I am, I went down to Cabelas today and purchased a new trout rod and reel along with a pack of worms. I'm going to try my luck again tomorrow, weather permitting.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:15 AM

Paul, I would suggest if you tie a leech (black or green) a few ft. below a float you might change your luck.......Deep.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
I tried my luck at Hermitage around 8:30 pm yesterday for an hour and didn't even get a nibble. I was using power bait trout dough and cheese on a pickerel rig. They were jumping all around me, just didn't like what I was offering apparently.

But being the stubborn bugger that I am, I went down to Cabelas today and purchased a new trout rod and reel along with a pack of worms. I'm going to try my luck again tomorrow, weather permitting.
if your not a fly fisher I would recommend getting a hand full of smaller dry flies and one of the water filled bobbers (name slips my mind) fill the bobber half full of water so you can cast the flies with conventional gear, the bobber adds weight, leave yourself about three feet of line behind the bobber and tie on the dry fly cast this out and at medium pace reel it back in this is a good way to catch those pesky jumpers with flies without needing to know how to fly fish. some one will chime in on with the name of those bobbers.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercMike View Post
if your not a fly fisher I would recommend getting a hand full of smaller dry flies and one of the water filled bobbers (name slips my mind) fill the bobber half full of water so you can cast the flies with conventional gear, the bobber adds weight, leave yourself about three feet of line behind the bobber and tie on the dry fly cast this out and at medium pace reel it back in this is a good way to catch those pesky jumpers with flies without needing to know how to fly fish. some one will chime in on with the name of those bobbers.
Glad to hear your stubborn E, and I'm sure you'll have better luck with a hook and dew worm. Forget the fly's, unless your fly fishing or there is a bait ban where you are fishing.
For the heck of it you should try the NSR. Your right there anyways. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
Paul, I would suggest if you tie a leech (black or green) a few ft. below a float you might change your luck.......Deep.
Gave this a try today and got 2 bites and hooked one but lost it a foot from shore All that in about a half hour before the skies opened up and it started to pour. Thanks for the tip!

Lots of jumpers again today, I'm going to try out the fly technique MercMike mentioned next time I get out
Old 06-09-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Glad to hear your stubborn E, and I'm sure you'll have better luck with a hook and dew worm. Forget the fly's, unless your fly fishing or there is a bait ban where you are fishing.
I've been fishing the river a bit by government house park, and I've pulled out a few young walleye and a couple gold eye. I'm trying to catch something I can eat. It's a shame because all the river fish I've pulled out have looked very healthy. I'm just dissuaded by the whole mercury warning.

Plus I'm new to trout fishing and I'm kinda digging the challenge of it.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
I must appolagise to Merc. Dry flies attached to a bobber just might do the trick. Thats the beauty of fishing! Improvise. I must admit that seeing trout rise when my baited hook is on the bottom has made me wonder if at that moment I should have something on the surface.
As for mercury on the NSR, thats only one of many toxins that you might ingest. That said, lots of people eat the fish from the NSR and have lived to tell about it. Let's face it, there is not one waterbody in AB that does not have some sort of pollution.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:14 AM

I almost exclusively troll from my Minn Kota driven jon boat. The leeches have brought over 45 trout to the boat at times. Keep trying, size variation is required as they are picky sometimes.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I must appolagise to Merc. Dry flies attached to a bobber just might do the trick. Thats the beauty of fishing! Improvise. I must admit that seeing trout rise when my baited hook is on the bottom has made me wonder if at that moment I should have something on the surface.
As for mercury on the NSR, thats only one of many toxins that you might ingest. That said, lots of people eat the fish from the NSR and have lived to tell about it. Let's face it, there is not one waterbody in AB that does not have some sort of pollution.
Oh no worries , it's a technique I've used since I was a youngster and didn't fly fish, it was very effective , just another technique to add to the arsenal .