Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-12-2017, 11:02 PM

Default Wall tent

Hello folks,
In the market for a wall tent. 14'x16'. Been reading a bunch on here. Noticed a lot of postings are a few years old. Hoping to get some feed back on how the tents are holding up. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Old 05-13-2017, 06:01 AM

Default Btt

No one has any info ?
Old 05-13-2017, 06:04 AM

I have a norseman 12x14 had it for 10 yrs still in perfect shape!
Old 05-13-2017, 06:55 AM

Just ordered a new tent from Perry at deluxe tents. Should be here in July. Good Canadian company that posts prices in Canadaian dollars. I have every confidence this tent will last for years of use and enjoyment. I looked at some of the bigger tents at campers village and other places and felt with the internal poles sets it would be just as quick to set up one of these as trying to thread a pole thru some nylon loops and those sorts of scenarios. I ordered a 12x14 with a 5ft porch, pole set and comes with a fly. We decided to have the stove Jack out the side. Give Perry a call get 'er done. I only procrastinated about 2 years.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:01 AM

Have had mine 20yrs great shape still ,get a proper fly for it and don't put away wet will last a lifetime ,
Old 05-13-2017, 07:03 AM

Default Wall tent

Tent and fly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old oictures 065.jpg (103.7 KB, 157 views)
Old 05-13-2017, 07:52 AM

I have an older Alberta Forestry Services tent I bought off of a fellow member 3 years ago. It is a 12x14 with a 7 foot peak and 3.5 foot walls. Still holding up great. No leaks. I bought the angle kit from Deluxe Wall Tents and made the poles myself from 1" conduit. Quick and easy set up. Traded a flat of beer for a very well home built wood stove. Stays toasty warm even in November. My latest purchase and one I highly recommend is a wood stove fan. Helps to circulate heat throughout the tent. Picked that up on Amazon.

Good luck in your search and enjoy.

DR
Old 05-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Banned

Default tarp

Maybe a tarp could do every thing a wall tent could do and more. Be tight to the ground all the way around in bad weather or all sides raised to form an umbrella like shade on a hot day. That is without changing the 4 corner pegs, 4 corner poles or center pole chimney.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ll+tent&page=2
Old 05-13-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
Hello folks,
In the market for a wall tent. 14'x16'. Been reading a bunch on here. Noticed a lot of postings are a few years old. Hoping to get some feed back on how the tents are holding up. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
I have had my Deluxe wall tent for 15 years have used it many times has done everything and still looks great, if I had to do it again would get the 8 foot porch but at the time I got mine only made them with the 5 foot.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:32 AM

Buy good quality and they will easily last 30+ years. I just sold my last one and it was bought in about 1980. It was still in perfect condition. My only comment is the size you are after is a good size if you have separate cooking and lounging quarters. For sure get a 8 to 10'porch on the front and one that competently encloses works good as a kitchen when it is cold. Keeps a lot of the food smells out of your cloths and sleeping bags.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:44 AM

I have a 14x16 with internal frame. We used it for years in the mountains sledding in the winter and at Mose camp. Our moose camp got bigger with more friends so about 7 years ago with bought a 16x20 with 8' porch farm Deluxe Wall Tents. Buy the 14x6 and you will be happy!

If you take care of your tent by packing it up when it's dry. If it gets wet/raining while out, make sure to pull it out at home and let air dry or set up with frame and let dry then pack it up. My 14x16 was new n Fall of 1996 and still looks this way. Same with our hunting group new bigger one
Old 05-14-2017, 08:07 AM

Smile porch experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
Just ordered a new tent from Perry at deluxe tents. Should be here in July. Good Canadian company that posts prices in Canadaian dollars. I have every confidence this tent will last for years of use and enjoyment. I looked at some of the bigger tents at campers village and other places and felt with the internal poles sets it would be just as quick to set up one of these as trying to thread a pole thru some nylon loops and those sorts of scenarios. I ordered a 12x14 with a 5ft porch, pole set and comes with a fly. We decided to have the stove Jack out the side. Give Perry a call get 'er done. I only procrastinated about 2 years.
Calvin... my partner and I bought the same tent from Deluxe Wall Tents a couple of seasons ago, an excellent product for sure. I would encourage you to phone Perry and ask for the TEN FOOT porch rather than the 5'... your added cost will result in amazingly beneficial usefulness, you'll be most impressed!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:19 PM

Whatever yo do get a fly or top protector to protect the top from burn holes, creosote and dirt. I didn't do that on my first tent and it go very dirty.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
Maybe a tarp could do every thing a wall tent could do and more. Be tight to the ground all the way around in bad weather or all sides raised to form an umbrella like shade on a hot day. That is without changing the 4 corner pegs, 4 corner poles or center pole chimney.

The OP is looking for a proper 14'X16' wall tent not a big tarp
Cat
Old 05-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Banned

Default burn holes

Use a stove with a full inside baffle that will make your cooktop hotter and never have need to use a spark arrestor.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:41 PM

Had my 14 X 16 X 5 walls for 25 years and it's in great shape (mainly because I haven't used it in at least 15 years. opened it up last year and it's better than I remembered it. A good wood stove and -25 to -30 degrees is comfortable if not too hot.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

Cat
Read post 27 and 30 of above address. Look at the address referred to on post 27 and 30. It might explain how a tarp could possibly do the job of a wall tent and be cooler in summer heat.

Last edited by chimpac; 05-14-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Cat
Read post 27 of above address. Look at the address referred to on post 27. It might explain how a tarp could possibly do the job of a wall tent and be cooler in summer heat.
Tarps don't have side walls , door flaps or ridgepole loops.
if he wanted a tarp I''m pretty sure he would know where to get one- any hardware store sells them.
Cat
Old 05-14-2017, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. Hoping you folks can help shed some light on a couple things. Advantages and disadvantages of having zippered door vs flaps with clips? Window flaps opening from the outside vs inside? \Zippered windows vs Velcro windows? Thanks
Old 05-14-2017, 09:26 PM

Mine did not have a zippered door when I got it. Found it was tricky to close and had a slight draft. Took it to a leather shop in Red Deer (Kovax) I believe it was and had them install a zipper. Works great now. My windows open into the tent and are also zippered but have a mesh screen. No complaints about that. Hope this helps.

DR
Old 05-14-2017, 09:31 PM

I bought a wilderness series 14x16 from the canvas tent shop. I'm happy with it so far although it's only about 4 years old. Well built and heavily reinforced. It's another option to consider.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:21 AM

The issue of windows opening in or out depends on how bad the weather is. Windows that open on the outside are far more waterproof. Heavy rain is the same reason a lot of people put the stove jack on the side. If you only use the tent in snow, roof jack draws better, easier to set up. Same with window openings, with snow doesn't matter in or out. As to doors, Summer use, zipper and netting to keep the bugs out, winter only flap and tie cords wok fine. if you use all year round get a zipper door with bug netting that can be tied back and has tie downs on the door for winter use.

If you use exterior frame make sure you have hanging ties sewn into various spots on the tent so you can put up cloths line, lantern etc. Interior frame you can tie things to that. I prefer the traditional exterior wood frame, less stuff to transport.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydouask View Post
Calvin... my partner and I bought the same tent from Deluxe Wall Tents a couple of seasons ago, an excellent product for sure. I would encourage you to phone Perry and ask for the TEN FOOT porch rather than the 5'... your added cost will result in amazingly beneficial usefulness, you'll be most impressed!
I also bought the same set up from Deluxe about 5 years ago great tent.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
x2 we requested ours to be either 8' but 10 would be a bit better. Way better and spend the $$ for bigger porch.

We also had extra windows sewn in the walls and back of tent. Plus an extra stove ring in the roof at the front corner as that is where we had the wood stove setup in my older walltent so we did the same for the first year. Then after that we bought a diesel heater (Prospector model) and place at backend/centre of the tent .
Old 05-16-2017, 09:36 PM

My apologies for the delay. Been a little crazy around the house. Thanks to everyone for there response. Thinking I will go with the deluxe 14x16 with a 10'porch. Anyone use one of the wood stoves they sell ?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
My apologies for the delay. Been a little crazy around the house. Thanks to everyone for there response. Thinking I will go with the deluxe 14x16 with a 10'porch. Anyone use one of the wood stoves they sell ?
Good choice....you will enjoy the porch...I wish I had gone with that as opposed to the 12x14 with the 5 foot porch I have....Happy with it other then when you have 4 or 5 people.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 05-16-2017, 10:08 PM

Try Northwest Shelters in Surrey BC.
Very very nice product. Very competitive wth Deluxe . Frank is great to deal with.
I have their 12x14 pls 8 foot add on kitchen, full tarp fly but it doesn't go down the sides. Two stove locations, full floor if wifey wants it cleaner. Full internal frame.

I also ordered inside removable plastic endows like a boat top, Velcro sides to be able tnadjust for the heat the wood stove throws . I have the 23 inch stove not 29. More then ample in late WT season of minus 25.

Good luck in your search, look after it, they are terrific.

CSM
Old 05-17-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I will call him later today. im appreciative you took the time to let me know. Thanks...