Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 03:43 PM
Banned

Default Hunting deer with bedding found

Just asking for some advice from the experts here. I went to a property I got permission for in 508 and woke up 6 does while getting to my spot. Later on I did a walk around of the property and found a few spots that look like their bedroom. Melted spots, urine and poop in the area as well so I assume they will come back, even though I scared them to the neighboring field.

Now how should I hunt this plot of land? It is an overgrown grazing field with a little valley, a bit of forest and a slough. I don't want to scare the deer off of it again, and not sure how to be quiet with the loud snow. I set up cameras as well to see how they are moving.

TIA
Old 11-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Banned

Please help as I would like to get in on something next weekend. Lots of deer tracks all over the property so I know there is deer there. Just don't know how to hunt them as I usually hunt crownland and cutlines.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:15 PM

Ambush them between their beds and their breakfast. You mentioned a slough and a little valley - does either create a funnel or choke-point that the deer pass through? Once you identify a good waiting spot get there before they start their dawn or dusk movements. You choose the in between spot to avoid spooking them out of bed when you enter.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
Ambush them between their beds and their breakfast. You mentioned a slough and a little valley - does either create a funnel or choke-point that the deer pass through? Once you identify a good waiting spot get there before they start their dawn or dusk movements. You choose the in between spot to avoid spooking them out of bed when you enter.
Well they haven't visited the slough from what I have seen. They just walked from East to West through the forest. This is what is looks like on google maps:
https://imgur.com/a/z0vW4

Yellow is where I was thinking of setting up. The pink is where I found that they were bedded down, and the red is the boundary. They walked all over the property.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:45 PM

It seems to me like they sleep on the incline looking down into that slough. From what you said I guess they cross through the forested part you want to sit on. Choosing your position is as much about the wind and terrain as the deer and their paths.

That yellow looks like a spot, but you'll need to be careful getting to it because they can bust you there. You could also wait east of there on the other side of the forested bit and wait for them to come through. A third choice is the hill in the field just slightly south. They will have their backs to you while they are in bed so even though it's open you should be able to stalk in unnoticed if other conditions are favorable.

Crusty snow and other noisy things like leaves underfoot are always difficult. The best thing to do is not get too close and let them come to you by knowing their travel plans.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:52 PM

i am by no means an expert but in that situation provided you had a north or west wind i would approach from the south east and setup just on the south end of your yellow mark where you indicated that way you are approaching away from the beds and able to cover a large amount of area.
thats going strictly from the map. if you see sign showing they are leaving the field one way or other or passing through the bush then by all means setup on those corridors.
the only way you will know for sure is to get out there and try it.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-05-2017, 10:11 PM

Is it a doe you are looking for? Is it whitetail or mule deer? What's the wind like usually or is it changing most of the time?

Setting up too much to the north on your yellow spot can definitely screw you up in terms making a shot. You simply won't be able to take the shot because there is just way too much going on in the background.

Consider your (rough) "no-shot" area if you set on the north end of your planned spot:

And this is only from a brief look at you picture. I have no idea what is going on the map beyond of what is pictured on this screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (86.5 KB, 528 views)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
It seems to me like they sleep on the incline looking down into that slough. From what you said I guess they cross through the forested part you want to sit on. Choosing your position is as much about the wind and terrain as the deer and their paths.

That yellow looks like a spot, but you'll need to be careful getting to it because they can bust you there. You could also wait east of there on the other side of the forested bit and wait for them to come through. A third choice is the hill in the field just slightly south. They will have their backs to you while they are in bed so even though it's open you should be able to stalk in unnoticed if other conditions are favorable.

Crusty snow and other noisy things like leaves underfoot are always difficult. The best thing to do is not get too close and let them come to you by knowing their travel plans.
The spot a bit east of the yellow is where the fellow has his shed and travel trailer so I think they will be a bit weary. Albeit, there was a buck I think bedding not far from it as I saw one spot of melted snow and scraping in the snow.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Is it a doe you are looking for? Is it whitetail or mule deer? What's the wind like usually or is it changing most of the time?

Setting up too much to the north on your yellow spot can definitely screw you up in terms making a shot. You simply won't be able to take the shot because there is just way too much going on in the background.

Consider your (rough) "no-shot" area if you set on the north end of your planned spot:

And this is only from a brief look at you picture. I have no idea what is going on the map beyond of what is pictured on this screenshot.
Right now I have a general I would just like to fill for meat, I have not seen a buck in the area, just 4 does and 2 "fawns" so I hope a horny buck will come charging in. It is a whitetail I am after.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:29 PM

Are you hunting with a rifle or a bow? If you are rifle hunting, I'd recommend setting up 75-100 yards from where you expect them to be traveling. It will help eliminate scent/noise/movement concerns.

Also are you after any deer or a mature buck? That yellow spot is pretty close to the road. Other than peak rut, it might be difficult to see a mature buck in daylight there.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
Are you hunting with a rifle or a bow? If you are rifle hunting, I'd recommend setting up 75-100 yards from where you expect them to be traveling. It will help eliminate scent/noise/movement concerns.

Also are you after any deer or a mature buck? That yellow spot is pretty close to the road. Other than peak rut, it might be difficult to see a mature buck in daylight there.
Rifle, 30-06 if that makes a difference. Any deer would make me happy at this point. I only have that section to hunt, and did a walk around through the property and did not find any scrapes so not sure if a buck is walking through.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:36 PM

Find the ground scrapes that are used lots. The bucks will usually bed down downwind of such scrapes. Walk crosswind to the scrape and drip out a 1/4 bottle of doe in heat going to the scrape and a liberal squirt into the ground scrape. Then move to a spot crosswind 50 to 100 yards away and watch the scrape. A few drops as you leave the scrape too. Let the scent do the job. A drip or two on a bush or grass elevates the scent better than right on the ground. Looking at the map it look like the bucks will be traveling the fence lines too. Good bush on neighboring land.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 11-05-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:26 PM

It was surprisingly easy to find the spot on the map and took about a minute or two.

If it is just meat, I would shoot a doe without thinking twice about it. But that's my preference.

You do not have much shot from that yellow spot except for the south end of it. If you know for a fact (don't think it is really possible) that they will be there the next time you come in, being next weekend, go to the south end of your spot and see what happens. According to the forecast as it is today, but it will most likely change before then, you are good to go on Friday evening and Saturday; they are expecting a north-west wind, which works out just perfect for you. Sunday is no good since the wind will be blowing west.

There aren't too many options, really, since you are limited to this one quarter. Best advise is plan your things according to the wind. Personally, I would have no set up per se and just move in from the north east if wind allowed (I do not really see too many other options since shooting south is not a possibility). That trail you see on the map is probably what they take to get to the spot. Keep in mind though that everything you had mentioned is not necessarily an indication of their "resting station". I would not be surprised to find them close to the tree line either. So park far enough and walk. Give it a look from a distance and make your plan from there. Watch the wind and you should have no problems getting to within 150 yards snow or not.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
It was surprisingly easy to find the spot on the map and took about a minute or two.

If it is just meat, I would shoot a doe without thinking twice about it. But that's my preference.

You do not have much shot from that yellow spot except for the south end of it. If you know for a fact (don't think it is really possible) that they will be there the next time you come in, being next weekend, go to the south end of your spot and see what happens. According to the forecast as it is today, but it will most likely change before then, you are good to go on Friday evening and Saturday; they are expecting a north-west wind, which works out just perfect for you. Sunday is no good since the wind will be blowing west.

There aren't too many options, really, since you are limited to this one quarter. Best advise is plan your things according to the wind. Personally, I would have no set up per se and just move in from the north east if wind allowed (I do not really see too many other options since shooting south is not a possibility). That trail you see on the map is probably what they take to get to the spot. Keep in mind though that everything you had mentioned is not necessarily an indication of their "resting station". I would not be surprised to find them close to the tree line either. So park far enough and walk. Give it a look from a distance and make your plan from there. Watch the wind and you should have no problems getting to within 150 yards snow or not.
Are you saying you plan on taking my hunting spot or something? Haha

Thanks for the help. I may just park right at the entrance and just walk.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:33 PM

So did you go out today or still going tomorrow?

The wind they are predicting now for tomorrow morning is SW (SE overnight), which works out even better for you, IMO. And it is only -8 to -10, which makes it a great day for shooting a deer!
Old 11-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
So did you go out today or still going tomorrow?

The wind they are predicting now for tomorrow morning is SW (SE overnight), which works out even better for you, IMO. And it is only -8 to -10, which makes it a great day for shooting a deer!
No I went today to Hinton and filled two tags haha. So no more need for me to go there unless I give away most of the deer meat I have and get greedy

But I am ok with my buck and doe. Will probably give away half of it to family and friends.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:51 PM

Good for you! That was not the best place to be hunting at anyways.