Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Banned

Default best arrow shaft

Shooting a 70 pound bow for elk and deer, have heard eastons are good, but I am up for arrows again so what's the best. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:06 PM

I have tried a few different arrows and keep going back to the carbon express maxima hunter 350's. Love em.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:42 PM

Default CX Mayhem Hunter's

I have been shooting Carbon Express Mayhem Hunters. Have had them for 3 or more years. Have shot a lot of targets and 3D with them. Unforunatley not. It game animals. They shoot straight and seem fairly tough
Old 02-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Banned

I'm have some Carbon Express arrows but I just picked up some Easton Da Torch arrows. I'm liking them so far.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:02 PM

Give Cam Jones of Darkhorse Archery a chance. He is a Canadian manufacturer of arrows and is in Estevan Saskatchewan. I have been using them for the last few years and they have killed everything I have asked them to.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
Give Cam Jones of Darkhorse Archery a chance. He is a Canadian manufacturer of arrows and is in Estevan Saskatchewan. I have been using them for the last few years and they have killed everything I have asked them to.
Are they reasonably priced, durable, and does he have a website?

I need some new arrows and am interested in checking these out.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Easton full metal jackets
Old 02-11-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Are they reasonably priced, durable, and does he have a website?

I need some new arrows and am interested in checking these out.
He is on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/DarkhorseArchery
Old 02-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Banned

Gold tips are awesome! I'm shooting easton blood lines now really liking them also fmjs are garbage. Never had good luck with them
Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 PM

I shoot CX Bluestreaks right now. They are likely a tad overpriced, but I have confidence in them.

If I was to shoot Easton again I would choose Axis, but I don't see them on there website anymore. The Bloodlines are too gaudy for me. I hate the plastic cresting. A good carbon arrow no doubt, but just a carbon arrow all the same.

Would seriously consider FMJ, they have a little tighter tolerance for straightness, are heavier (you mentioned elk), and its easy to tune broadheads with the HIT inserts.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Easton Axis NFused are available at Cabelas, ebay, etc....been reading a lot of good things about them lately and thinking about trying them...would like to find a good one as well and stock up to avoid switching around.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:08 PM

ACC Pro Hunters
Old 02-11-2014, 08:21 PM

x2 on the darkhorse arrows. i also shoot them and they are strong as heck. http://www.darkhorsearchery.ca/ lets help the little guys get going
Old 02-11-2014, 08:56 PM

Geeze the daughter even bought a string off him and i didnt realize that he made his own arrows. ill have to look into them.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twispi View Post
x2 on the darkhorse arrows. i also shoot them and they are strong as heck. http://www.darkhorsearchery.ca/ lets help the little guys get going
Great! All for shopping Canadian but there is no price on the website or any idea of where to buy.

They look like the old CF radial X-weaves.......which were not tough at all.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
ACC Pro Hunters
Those I think I may need to try. Good reviews on them
Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead7 View Post
Shooting a 70 pound bow for elk and deer, have heard eastons are good, but I am up for arrows again so what's the best. Thanks.
This is a loaded question really there are so many factors that make a arrow right for the shooter.
I have actually still shoot two arrows Blackhawk vapors bought a few dozen years ago and now getting down to my last dozen and a half...these are no longer available they have been great no complaints at all never broke a shaft on a animal yet all my arrows have been lost or damaged when target shooting.
Last year I tried the FMJ's and I am still torn on them ......well I haven't killed anything with them yet I do like the strength and small diameter of the arrow I just don't know if I like the weight.
Both arrow will shoot the same out to about 40 yards and then after that the POI changes when out at 70 yards the difference is nearly 1 foot. Not a huge deal but having pins for ever 5 yards after 50 is a bit much.
Now with that said the added weight and slimmer design of the FMJ make it less effected by wind.

So I guess you really need to determine your hunting style and area. If your shots are all going to be sub 50 yards do you hunt windy areas do you hunt bush.

Then pick your arrow. Stay away from the cheap stuff but there are several quality arrows at mid prices from most manufactures.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:55 AM

I shoot Harvest Time and l really like them but everyone is different.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:19 AM

I like Goldtip XT hunter shafts

LC
Old 02-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
This is a loaded question really there are so many factors that make a arrow right for the shooter.
I have actually still shoot two arrows Blackhawk vapors bought a few dozen years ago and now getting down to my last dozen and a half...these are no longer available they have been great no complaints at all never broke a shaft on a animal yet all my arrows have been lost or damaged when target shooting.
Last year I tried the FMJ's and I am still torn on them ......well I haven't killed anything with them yet I do like the strength and small diameter of the arrow I just don't know if I like the weight.
Both arrow will shoot the same out to about 40 yards and then after that the POI changes when out at 70 yards the difference is nearly 1 foot. Not a huge deal but having pins for ever 5 yards after 50 is a bit much.
Now with that said the added weight and slimmer design of the FMJ make it less effected by wind.

So I guess you really need to determine your hunting style and area. If your shots are all going to be sub 50 yards do you hunt windy areas do you hunt bush.

Then pick your arrow. Stay away from the cheap stuff but there are several quality arrows at mid prices from most manufactures.
Yeah I used to shoot the vapours and liked them very much, but as you stated no longer available.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
ACC Pro Hunters
Awesome arrows. 70lbs, 29.5 draw, 340 shaft is what the chart says, but I'm getting excellent performance out of the 390's.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Banned

I find it funny how people spend stupid amount of $$$ on buying the best arrow they can find. I bet you are not good enough to tell the difference between the cheapest arrow to the best. Buy one of the big names so you get a decent made arrow and get the cheapest(less straightest+/- .006). My favorite is gold tip but you can buy what you want. I use to be in this and hunted with A/C/C's never again.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:48 PM

Gold Tip
Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Banned

Thanks everyone for the input, I have made my mind up on the gold tip pro hunter with the 3 or 4 inch vanes, but does anyone know a website that has a huge selection of them. Thanks
Old 02-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input, I have made my mind up on the gold tip pro hunter with the 3 or 4 inch vanes, but does anyone know a website that has a huge selection of them. Thanks
were are you hunting? if you are hunting on the praires the big vanes push your arrow in the wind way more than blazers. Just a thing to think about.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler1969 View Post
were are you hunting? if you are hunting on the praires the big vanes push your arrow in the wind way more than blazers. Just a thing to think about.
Yeah I know, usually in the bush though, just always had good luck with the longer vanes so I will stick with them.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I find it funny how people spend stupid amount of $$$ on buying the best arrow they can find. I bet you are not good enough to tell the difference between the cheapest arrow to the best. Buy one of the big names so you get a decent made arrow and get the cheapest(less straightest+/- .006). My favorite is gold tip but you can buy what you want. I use to be in this and hunted with A/C/C's never again.
I can tell the difference.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Contact Jimbows in Calgary they carry a tonne of Goldtip arrows at a good price!

LC
Old 02-12-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I can tell the difference.
X2
Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ever see an arrow that has exploded thru someone's hand? The little extra you pay for carbon/aluminum combo arrows such as ACC's and FMJ's is well worth it. I do a lot of shooting at 80yds and love both the ACC's and FMJ's. I'm not sure if it's because they are a more accurate arrow, or if it's the piece of mind from knowing the arrow I'm shooting at the target won't end up in splinters in my hand, but I can put 3 arrows in a 1-1/2" circle @ 80yds with it (obviously not every time, but 4" groups are common).

What would you consider a fair price difference for an arrow that you know won't blast thru your hand on release?