Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-22-2009, 10:22 PM

Default .50 bmg

I found the custom .50 bmg in the buy/sell forum, looks awesome , full custom with all nescesary equip to go shooting , great price also for all the shooting supplies with it. . I btt it for you so you could find it easier , it should now be at the front of todays buy/sell. good luck
Old 01-31-2009, 03:31 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspot View Post
Hi I was wondering what he's going to hunt with a 50cal LOL!!
what the hell you want to shoot with this gun????i shooted the big five with a 308 steyr tactical!!!!you can shoot a moose also!and a deere .and a stag .and everything you want.you have to hit your target and you need not a gun with cal.50!!!i tried it from austria to south africa and it always works.
please forgive me my bad english,i only learned it at scool!
DON ROLANDO
Old 01-31-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON ROLANDO View Post
what the hell you want to shoot with this gun????i shooted the big five with a 308 steyr tactical!!!!you can shoot a moose also!and a deere .and a stag .and everything you want.you have to hit your target and you need not a gun with cal.50!!!i tried it from austria to south africa and it always works.
please forgive me my bad english,i only learned it at scool!
DON ROLANDO
Nothing wrong with a 308, it will kill almost anything.
A 50 however is more an experience. Kinda like whether you are happy driving a Hyudai or would rather drive a Ferrari, both will get you to work, it is just a matter of preference.
I shoot deer and other animals with my 50s, for only 1 reason, because I can.
Your 308 is very limited in the effective range, about 800 yards would be as far as I would ever consider shooting game at with a 308. This is something a 50 has NO concerns of, anything that is in a safe to shoot position within 1 mile of me can easily be killed.
Some people like BIG guns other prefer cheaper to feed light weight rifles, that does not make either party wrong.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 01-31-2009, 09:15 PM

SWEET PICTURE!!!!!!!!!! thats what iam talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspot View Post
SWEET PICTURE!!!!!!!!!! thats what iam talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And as you can plainly see that deer was totally blown apart by the dreaded 50 cal
Shot placement is always more important than caliber size.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:18 PM

ATR- I have never actually seen anyone use a 50 cal for hunting, is it just the thrill of the kill, or do you actually find a couple scraps of meat that are edible when you are done with it?

I can see using it on coyotes or gophers, turning them into highspeed pink vapor would be cool but deer?
Old 01-31-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
ATR- I have never actually seen anyone use a 50 cal for hunting, is it just the thrill of the kill, or do you actually find a couple scraps of meat that are edible when you are done with it?

I can see using it on coyotes or gophers, turning them into highspeed pink vapor would be cool but deer?

Your computer blocking pictures ?
Old 01-31-2009, 11:31 PM
Big.Bear

Nice pictures!
Old 01-31-2009, 11:35 PM

You know, I have to ask, ATR, simply because I can.

How practical is it to lug around a big monster like that? I assume you've got 40lbs of gun there, and what, 60" long? Must cost a fortune to shoot!

I'm sure it's a riot for smearing gophers, and judging by your photo that is a really dead deer without excessive damage. All in all, very cool gun. Anyway, I heard you're the man to talk to about long-range shooting. I guess with a rig like that, you've probably got range out to a couple kilometers.

Cpl Rob Furlong of the CF made the record longest-range sniper kill in Afghanistan in 2002
with a range of 2 430 meters. That is ridiculous! With a McMillan Tac-50. I'm sure some of you know this, but a little factoid from the front lines(or a couple klicks behind, anyway) for guys that are interested.

Must be quite an experience to shoot something that big. Definitely not for me. My wallet aches just thinking about what I assume must be $7-10 a round.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

You will find MORE meat damage using a 243 than you will with a 50.
As you can see from the photo that deer is blown ALL apart, despite being shot at what I consider very close range, just over 750 yards
The damage is even less at 1 mile plus.
Small game certainly DOES get damaged, but then again I could care less where on the body I hit a gopher.
Big game MUST be shot fully broadside so as to only damage ribs and lungs/heart. There in lies the ethical part, a vast majority of normal hunters will not pass on a shot that is possibly questionable, where the vast majority of truly extreme long range hunters pass on far more shots that they ever take.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
You know, I have to ask, ATR, simply because I can.

How practical is it to lug around a big monster like that? I assume you've got 40lbs of gun there, and what, 60" long? Must cost a fortune to shoot!

I'm sure it's a riot for smearing gophers, and judging by your photo that is a really dead deer without excessive damage. All in all, very cool gun. Anyway, I heard you're the man to talk to about long-range shooting. I guess with a rig like that, you've probably got range out to a couple kilometers.

Cpl Rob Furlong of the CF made the record longest-range sniper kill in Afghanistan in 2002
with a range of 2 430 meters. That is ridiculous! With a McMillan Tac-50. I'm sure some of you know this, but a little factoid from the front lines(or a couple klicks behind, anyway) for guys that are interested.

Must be quite an experience to shoot something that big. Definitely not for me. My wallet aches just thinking about what I assume must be $7-10 a round.

Yes Brad, because I can, and many others can not.
I practice with with my rifles year round. I am capable of consistent sub moa shots well beyond the 1 mile mark, furthest witnessed and confirmed shots to date 2700 mtrs. I have a range that I own that has 4 miles from bench to backstop, so distance is NOT an issue for me. I have hit 45 gallon drums, (3stacked into 2 supporting the third so the top 1 could be seen) 3 or 4 out of 5 shots on numerous occasions at 2.5 miles, but would never even consider shooting anything live with a hit ratio that poor. This I do just for fun, and to see if or when I can ever connect 5 for 5 at that distance.

I know Rob Furlong, imagine what he could have done with a "truly accurate" rifle???? The Mac Tac50 is a decent rifle to be sure, but understand it has far looser tolerances by necessity than my target rifles do.

Your weight estimate and OAL rifle estimate is close, but you need to double the ammo cost. Matchgrade ammo for a 50 runs north of $15.00 per round.
I do NOT lug it around, normally only about 100 yards from my truck, then I let my skill and the bullet do the leg work.
Many would say that this is NOT hunting, it is simply target shooting animals, I suppose that is true, but none the less takes more skill than many can accomplish. I don't consider driving around , then jumping out of the truck to shoot an animal hunting, and I am NOT suggesting this is the way YOU hunt as I don't know I am just making a point here. I guess it just proves we all have different standards and ideas of what hunting is , what our budgets will allow and how seriously addicted to GSR some of us are.

Ken07
what pink mist?
This massive bird was 650 yards away when shot with my 338LAI for trying to steal my target. 1 would expect a 300 gr SMK doing plus 3000 fps would do more damage

Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 AM

Wicked!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:20 PM

Angry

That is so cool
Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Tactical Rifle View Post
Yes Brad, because I can, and many others can not.
I practice with with my rifles year round. I am capable of consistent sub moa shots well beyond the 1 mile mark, furthest witnessed and confirmed shots to date 2700 mtrs. I have a range that I own that has 4 miles from bench to backstop, so distance is NOT an issue for me. I have hit 45 gallon drums, (3stacked into 2 supporting the third so the top 1 could be seen) 3 or 4 out of 5 shots on numerous occasions at 2.5 miles, but would never even consider shooting anything live with a hit ratio that poor. This I do just for fun, and to see if or when I can ever connect 5 for 5 at that distance.

I know Rob Furlong, imagine what he could have done with a "truly accurate" rifle???? The Mac Tac50 is a decent rifle to be sure, but understand it has far looser tolerances by necessity than my target rifles do.

Your weight estimate and OAL rifle estimate is close, but you need to double the ammo cost. Matchgrade ammo for a 50 runs north of $15.00 per round.
I do NOT lug it around, normally only about 100 yards from my truck, then I let my skill and the bullet do the leg work.
Many would say that this is NOT hunting, it is simply target shooting animals, I suppose that is true, but none the less takes more skill than many can accomplish. I don't consider driving around , then jumping out of the truck to shoot an animal hunting, and I am NOT suggesting this is the way YOU hunt as I don't know I am just making a point here. I guess it just proves we all have different standards and ideas of what hunting is , what our budgets will allow and how seriously addicted to GSR some of us are.

Ken07
what pink mist?
This massive bird was 650 yards away when shot with my 338LAI for trying to steal my target. 1 would expect a 300 gr SMK doing plus 3000 fps would do more damage
+$15 a round, eh? That's just crazy. I thought about that for a moment, then watched my wallet spontaneously combust. And what you're talking about, long-range "target shooting animals", I'm definitely not a man to judge another guy's hunting style. I can only dream of skills like that, definitely something to see. So now, if you don't mind me asking, what would it cost the common man to build a rig like that? I would imagine at that much for match-grade ammo, per round, you must've cleared ten grand on the hardware.

And my apologies if my earlier comments seemed sarcastic. I am in awe and have some respect for someone that can shoot like that. Hopefully I can learn to get to five or six hundred yards shooting deer with a .308(My understanding is that after 800 yards, the consistency of the round itself really drops off).

Anyway, send my regards to Cpl Furlong if you would, I think that our boys over in Afghanistan are doing something important, and have nothing but support and respect to offer them. God Bless to the boys that have fallen, my thoughts are with them and their families.

Brad
Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 AM
.300wsm

ATR, I give you credit for spotting game at a mile, never mind shooting it as well. I only wish.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:19 PM

Brad It is not that your 308 "drops off" or is inconsistant past 800 yards it has just lost too much energy to effectively kill past about 700.
We shoot 308s out as far as 1200 yards with good accuracy, but there is so little energy left you REALLY have to listen to hear the hits on the steel gongs.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .300wsm View Post
ATR, I give you credit for spotting game at a mile, never mind shooting it as well. I only wish.
This is where cheap optics are a determent.
I have always worked with the theory "if you can't see something, how can you possibly try to shoot it?
Having truly high quality optics is what makes seeing and shooting things along way away possible.

This is taken through my spotting scope at our 1000 yards away gongs, clarity is better when just the human eye is used as the camera is not positioned 100% correctly , hence the small view and slightly blurry look.
But you get the idea.
That yellow gong that gets hit is 6" in diameter