Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-06-2017, 05:09 PM

On a day trip, just oone gun.
The Great Alberta Bird safari we do every year ? heck, I have been known to bring 6 or 7 just to shoot them!
On a multi day jet boat hunt I will bring an extra.
Cat
Old 06-06-2017, 09:24 PM

We have always brought one extra to camp between two of us the we have both practiced on before hand. Last year was the only time it became necessary. I set up a 308 for my nephew and neglected to torque the scope properly even though it held up at the range, it didn't make the ride up north. He used the742 woodsmaster 6 mm backup gun and everything worked out great. A $300 gun saved an expensive trip.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyOneStyle View Post
I don't think that this will fly in Alberta. In my hunting party anyway, if you have no more tags you stop hunting. I could be wrong, but I don't think pest control is realistic if a member of your party is actively hunting big game.

Not to de-rail though,
I only bring one rifle. Plenty of shells, but one rifle.
i dont think there is a law about carrying a gun when someone else is hunting. The chance of me shooting a coyote when my partner is hunting is low but i have it just in case & like i also said when we are a few km from the truck its better to have 2 rifles just in case.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:02 AM

Always carry two - one for each hand .

Seriously though, usually just one though like to have a backup along when it's an option. Don't like leaving guns in the truck on day trips though, and when we camp we don't typically leave anyone in camp so same applies.

If hunting with a bigger group or an outfiltter I'd bring a second to stash in camp just in case. I keep my backup at the closest available secure location. More importantly, confirm zero before leaving and confirm torque on rings,bases, action screws etc.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin View Post
Beware the man with only one gun, he probably knows how to use it.
But he left the bolt at home

Seen that before, then I handed him my back up...

He shot a 160" deer that morning

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-07-2017, 08:12 AM

Default spares

Always carry a spare. Need at least one or two back-ups for our small party of mountain campers. I've had the odd scope fog in downpours, and rock-bit scopes from taking tumbles in the rough stuff. That back-up is priceless.
During the local deer season, no reason not to have an extra in the back seat. Usually a few shotguns floating around back there anyways, in case you stumble across a sharpie or huns in your travel.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I just take one if I'm by myself but if my wife is hunting she has hers so sometimes two...I won't take a spare to leave it in my truck for some POS to steal, just not worth the risk IMO.
I hunt where nobody else goes, I take one for big game and one for coyotes and a 22 for chickens, and I don't even lock the truck! In my last 20 years of hunting, the only people I've seen out there are the ones I've taken along.