Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-08-2017, 03:46 PM

Default Gear questions.

Hey folks. For my college course i need to buy hiking boots, and pack as needed gear. I figure i may as well make it work for hunting as well. Im just wondering what you guys would do. Im not to worried about putting money into it as its somthing i will use. Also where do you buy your gear? And why?
Old 06-08-2017, 06:42 PM

Default Boots

I bought meindl waterproof hiking boots. They have proven to be great boots. Usually around 250 to 300 dollars. I have hiked through bogs and my feet stayed dry. Plus they are ultra light and very comfortable
Old 06-08-2017, 07:19 PM

I would look at scarpa and zamberland for boots. They're expensive but they last like no other boot I've had. I like to go with tried and true brands that mountaineers trust. remember 1lb on your feet is like 5lb in your pack so dont be afraid of sythetics. check mec for boots.
As for packs I have a mystery ranch as a primary but Ive used several other brands. I like the mystery ranch because its not as pricey as a kifaru and I like some design aspects of it better than the kuiu such as the meat shelf. Ive got the metcalf and its great for everything up to about 5 days. gregory has always made great packs as well but not as good for hunting
Old 06-08-2017, 09:01 PM

Default scarpa boots

I'm on my second pair of Scarpa boots, first pair lasted 15+ years, fabulous boots, comfortable, tough, all good. My second pair(almost identical) not so good, after 2 years the lining started falling apart,and bunching up,and then the Vibram soles started breaking apart, pieces of tread breaking off on rocks and atv pegs. I have since bought a pair of Hanwags that I'm liking, a little stiff and clunky still but are starting to feel very comfortable.My 2 cents.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Banned

I have a pair of Lowa Tibet size 11 - like new (used once) for sale. They would do well for you.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I have a pair of Lowa Tibet size 11 - like new (used once) for sale. They would do well for you.
Other than my eight and half sized feet they probably would. Haha
Old 06-09-2017, 09:03 AM

Scarpa are great, but there are so many good boots out there. Boots are personal, some brands fit certain foot shapes better, Scarpa are known to fit narrow feet better, I think Lowa is better for wider feet.

As I mentioned in another post about boots, I'd consider MEC for boots due to the fact that it's so easy to return/exchange things there.

As for packs, I'd watch this site's buy and sell. Seems like a lot of the used hunting pack ads i've seen on here, the packs are fairly lightly used. "Never carried and animal" and so on.

Hope this helps.

John
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 06-09-2017, 10:16 AM

Maybe check out the Alpz Commander. Pretty good pack, for a decent price!