Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-01-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
It was much better.
Yup, the elk were so numerous they had late winter limited entry hunts for cows and bulls to control the numbers.

Grizz
Old 06-02-2017, 09:50 AM

The good old days, when there was a season for gbears and the government controlled the wolf population.

Gerry Burnie
Old 06-02-2017, 01:09 PM

Family member used to pack up there on horse in the 70's. Said one hillside looked like a rats nest of blown down trees bottom to top...all antler sheds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post
Family member used to pack up there on horse in the 70's. Said one hillside looked like a rats nest of blown down trees bottom to top...all antler sheds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like these?

Grizz
Old 06-10-2017, 09:21 PM

first hunted 6 point elk on draw there in 2000 and there were 150 6 point tags issued and a ton of elk, hunted there several times prior to 2010 and two of us got 6 point bulls, now there are approx. 5 tags per season given out for 6 point bulls , not sure what happened???

beautiful country watch out for grizzlies
Old 06-10-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk09 View Post
first hunted 6 point elk on draw there in 2000 and there were 150 6 point tags issued and a ton of elk, hunted there several times prior to 2010 and two of us got 6 point bulls, now there are approx. 5 tags per season given out for 6 point bulls , not sure what happened???

beautiful country watch out for grizzlies
grizzlies, wolves.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:46 PM

I like seeing grizzlies and wolves when I'm out hunting, makes the area seem wild. But I believe unmanaged wolf populations are very efficient in killing off large populations of herding animals like elk.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:50 PM

Default du Lot CALLE

not sure if wolves are the complete picture of what happened to the elk in the ya ha, but it would be great if a the government biologists looked into the situation
Old 06-11-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk09 View Post
not sure if wolves are the complete picture of what happened to the elk in the ya ha, but it would be great if a the government biologists looked into the situation
They've been studying the Ya Ha elk, since Moses was a small boy,but politics gets in the way of a realistic solution.

Grizz
Old 06-11-2017, 10:07 AM

I like my brother the wolf in the wilderness when the population is at normal levels. However when packs are in the 20-30 range they start to kill for fun. Many trappers have witnessed kills of 10-15 deer or moose in one night and almost none eaten. This is what happened in Ya Ha. If the cow elk have no calves in spring then it is a wolf problem, no calves in summer bears.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I like my brother the wolf in the wilderness when the population is at normal levels. However when packs are in the 20-30 range they start to kill for fun. Many trappers have witnessed kills of 10-15 deer or moose in one night and almost none eaten. This is what happened in Ya Ha. If the cow elk have no calves in spring then it is a wolf problem, no calves in summer bears.
Let's not forget the 4 season hunters, every bred cow killed in the winter is 2 dead elk and those she might have in the future.

Grizz
Old 06-11-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Let's not forget the 4 season hunters, every bred cow killed in the winter is 2 dead elk and those she might have in the future.

Grizz
i'm not sure how many they kill in a year but I think the road corridor and no shooting within 400 yards of the road has helped in this area. I would like to see it applied to other areas of the province too. grizzlies and wolves I think are the greatest problem up there. I've heard stories from the past of what it used to be like up there. Would have been something to see.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
i'm not sure how many they kill in a year but I think the road corridor and no shooting within 400 yards of the road has helped in this area. I would like to see it applied to other areas of the province too. grizzlies and wolves I think are the greatest problem up there. I've heard stories from the past of what it used to be like up there. Would have been something to see.
Sid Marty wrote about the late season hunts in one of his books, no doubt exaggerated, but essentially a zoo. Wasn't that long ago , there was a morning convoy of hunters driving the ranch road to the park boundary, hoping to get lucky. Still a great place.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 06-11-2017 at 08:09 PM.