Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-12-2017, 08:02 PM

Default Daughter prepares for shotgun-deer-season...20ga pattern testing with #3 buckshot.

So I was lucky enough to get out this weekend with my oldest. Her birthday is quickly approaching, and that means she will be legal to hunt deer this coming season...WOOHOO! She is as keen as I am, and what is even better is that her preference seems to be to come shotgun deer hunting in the awesome foothills deer season we have here in Alberta.

We figured we better get her shotgun squared away, so our previous range session was to investigate slugs and a bunch of different buckshot. She did not care for the slugs at all, so we tried out 4 different types of buckshot to see which one pattered best. After choosing the best patterning one for her gun, we've moved on to getting to know her range limitations which is what her current episode is all about:

https://youtu.be/jTkM0vf5nf8

Thanks for watching!

Cheers,

Jason
Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 PM

Great video! She's pumped!!!
Old 06-12-2017, 08:34 PM

Awsome video. ! It's great to see a dad spend time outdoors with his kids. Your daughter seems to have mastered acts prove very well. Good luck this fall hope she nails a good one.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:39 PM

Good times ahead

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2017, 09:31 PM

Awesome job!
I have chased deer a fair bit back when I was younger and found buckshot limits your range. Like you probably noticed I didn't feel good shooting over 40 yards myself. It doesn't have much knockdown power either. Hope u enjoy chasing deer with her. Can't wait to see some pics.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Great to hear of a few things happening in which we all should take note, range time, familiar with your weapon, grouping, seeing what is the best for the weapon, enjoying time with loved ones

You gave us more than just a range lesson, you showed us what is time well spent!

Opened the video up and it was of your deer hunting vid only....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 06-13-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Awesome job!

Like you probably noticed I didn't feel good shooting over 40 yards myself.

A lot less than that with a 20 gauge. Slugs are the only really decent way to go when shotgun hunting.

I'm not big on buckshot being used for mid sized game at all but maybe that's just me. Great for stopping bears in their tracks at close range tho.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:57 AM
Banned

Good for you and your daughter. She seems very comfortable and profieciant with that 20 ga. Love how she is shooting offhand, though I wonder why she isn't resting an elbow on her knee since she's kneeling anway. Still getting tight groups though. Pity she doesn't like slugs. Hane you tried a rifled barrel with sabot's?
Look forward to seeing her first deer harvest. You will also have to invest in a predator caller. She is shooting tight enough groups for coyotes. Squirrels do get boring after awhile. lol
Old 06-13-2017, 12:56 PM

Where do you find your buckshot? Or do you load your own? I've read the buckshot in the smaller bore of a 20 can jam up and burst the barrel? (Apparently not by your video!) I have looked and looked for 20g buck but the biggest Ive found is #2. Great video thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2017, 01:00 PM

Hunting is a ton of fun.

Hunting with the kids is even more so!

Thanks for posting.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Pity she doesn't like slugs. Have you tried a rifled barrel with sabot's?
We tried a big bunch of different rifled slugs, and I was amazed that her gun would not shoot them well at all. I have not tried a rifled barrel with sabots yet, likely we will just stick with her buckshot and will both (daddy & daughter) observe a 30 yard limit.

As her first deer could be with her .243 in the general season (and she's good with that out to about 200 yards), a December shotgun deer will be more about the experience/stalking close than it will be about simply filling a tag. While aware of the range advantage of her rifle, she emotionally likes her shotgun better so there is a chance she elects to hunt with it in the general season too. If so, we'll stick to 30 yards or closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post
Where do you find your buckshot? Or do you load your own? I've read the buckshot in the smaller bore of a 20 can jam up and burst the barrel? (Apparently not by your video!) I have looked and looked for 20g buck but the biggest Ive found is #2.
I have not seen anything larger than #2 buckshot either - we've tried #2, #3, and #4 through all three of her chokes (cyl, mod, full) - the #3 hands-down patterned the best in her gun, and with a full-choke. We got all our 20ga buckshot from BassPro.

Thanks for all your encouragement!

Cheers,

Jason