Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 PM

Default Rossi Ranch Hand Holster

Hey fellow AO'ers, I posted this on another forum, but thought I'd share this here as well

Hey guys, thought I would share some quick pics - had some time today so I sketched out a pattern and made up a quick holster for my Ranch Hand. Color came out darker than I had hoped only because (like a dolt) I used a swab instead of a cloth to dye it & it was streaked a tad so had to double up the dye.
(I picked the right gauge of leather because it's nice and stiff but the holster is only 1/2 the weight of a cellphone - 8.55oz)

Anyways, took a few hours from scratch but seems to hold it tight & works really well.

The detail of the edge pattern

Back

Barrel clearance

How the rifle sits - holstered.

weight

It worked out alright, but I may do another with a cutout front spine for a little quicker draw & in a lighter color, the dark Mahogany looks even darker in the pictures than it really is in sunlight.

Still have to add the leg strap in one of the sets of holes at the back, I'll see how it feels once on.

Ideas to the next one :
-Make it interchangeable from a hip to back to pack with loops and a cross shoulder strap.
-Possible making a swivel belt loop so one can crouch or kneel and the holster will bend with the wearer.
-maybe throw a pocket/pouch on the front for a knife or cleaning kit.

:HR:
Old 08-13-2012, 07:38 PM

If you decide to make more and have one to sell let me know I was wanting something for mine. Nice work.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Can I get in line for one if you get into production? I reckon lots of ranch hand owners are looking for something like that.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 08-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Banned

Look's good !!!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 PM

Working on one with the same design but partial opening on the front/spine to see if it draws a little quicker... should be done in a couple hours.

Trying a lighter colour and a bit worn look too.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 PM

love it!! looks so good
I can't wait to see what you come up with to:

Quote:
Make it interchangeable from a hip to back to pack with loops and a cross shoulder strap.
Have you decided how much you'll be charging for these??
Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 PM

Very nice craftsmanship on that holster coho. Sheephunter will probably want one.

I have had my eye on those Rossi's for a while. Thinkin 44 Mag. Whats yours?

Dang don't that lever seem a little large for that rifle? I think I would want a smaller one. Just for the sake of compactability. Still like em though

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 AM

(again from another forum)

Ok, so from a bare cowhide - takes about 4 hours to make one. Here's version #2.

Same template, lighter colour, and I tried the front spine cutout for muzzle draw easing (but more dirt will get in).

Same edge pattern

New cutaway front spine
Old 08-14-2012, 12:23 AM

So todays results are a dark mahogany & a medium brown cutaway:

I am not sure how much I would charge for these, I'd guess about $80 +shipping maybe ? $5.00 extra for lettering, have to figure out the extra costs & time for the swivel model or added pouch model I could work on.

*Remember I am new to this stuff so may not be the quality everyone is looking for.
(I definately make more money picking up shifts at work - haha !)

Might do a Black next days off...

Last edited by Coho911; 08-14-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:12 AM

Any chance you can put larger rivets in these?

I would be interested in ordering one, I'd gladly pay up to $100. PM me when you're ready to take orders. I'm near Edmonton and would rather meet in person to see one before buying...perhaps next time you're up this way?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 AM

Very nice. I think adding a single snap strap up near the "loop" would be a nice addition, just to secure the rifle a little bit better.

LC
Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 PM

Looking good definately let me know when you have one to sell Id take one like the second one once you are happy with the design for sure.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:26 PM

Yours blows the one from Cabelas out of the water Coho......very nice work

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/2308...ws/reviews.htm
Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 PM

I'll look for larger rivets next time I am able to run down to Tandy here in Calgary. 'If I can get it, I can do it.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH View Post
Any chance you can put larger rivets in these?

I would be interested in ordering one, I'd gladly pay up to $100. PM me when you're ready to take orders. I'm near Edmonton and would rather meet in person to see one before buying...perhaps next time you're up this way?
I am still trying to figure out the swivel idea.
options:

1)The sturdy high end version I am considering will end up adding about $50.00 to the price, but will have a swivel / quick release system like a Motorola Radio case & D-Clip.

2) inexpensive Ring on holster clipped into two chap/saddle spring clasps on the holster loop. Cheapest option but may look a bit odd. (probably cost about $20 extra)

3) trying to figure out a Metal ring looped through heavy leather loop on the belt loop with releasable snaps or clips. Probably be about the same $20.00

Have to mock some up and see what works.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 AM

Regarding the rivets, maybe they don't need to be larger, its hard to tell from the picture. My only concern is that the leather isn't broken in yet which means there could be a lot of pull on the rivets - but its your call. I'm sure you can tell better than me as you are the one building them. Also - can you get stainless rivets or galvanized? just curious.

Would this holster fit any mare's leg? or just the rossi? I have a chiappa and know other guys are using Henry's as well. It looks like it would fit them all, but I would want to be sure before you made one up for me.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Banned

I saw one in a retail store yesterday that sold for $115.00. Believe you me, yours is by a long shot far nicer. I don't own such a rifle, but if I did, I would get one of your holsters, and not just on price alone. There looks to be quality, workmanship and a thought process here. The retail one was likely made in China. Nice work, best of luck selling them, although I think yours will sell themselves.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 AM

There's all kinds of different rivets, if you look at the two holsters I did side by side, the darker one has the smoked/ galvanized rivets and the brown has chrome.

As far as fit to any mares leg, I'm not sure. I custom made them around my own Rossi, I'd have to have a Chiappa or other to try them - BUT, as everything I do is 100% hand made custom, all I need is the firearm/knife/tool and I build the leather around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH View Post
Regarding the rivets, maybe they don't need to be larger, its hard to tell from the picture. My only concern is that the leather isn't broken in yet which means there could be a lot of pull on the rivets - but its your call. I'm sure you can tell better than me as you are the one building them. Also - can you get stainless rivets or galvanized? just curious.

Would this holster fit any mare's leg? or just the rossi? I have a chiappa and know other guys are using Henry's as well. It looks like it would fit them all, but I would want to be sure before you made one up for me.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:21 PM

Well if somebody wants to meet up in North Calgary , bring their Rossi & try a test fit & have close look at my build quality for a first review, I'm open.

All feedback is considered.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:39 PM

The D-swivel would be a great idea. You could swing it up and off, cock the hammer and fire inside the holster real quick if you had to.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:03 AM

Default Update :

So far the 2 inexpensive quick release/ swivelling ideas didn't work the way I want them to (one worked but not to my standard - a bit sloppy in function for drawing the rifle)

I will keep looking for some of the radio D-buttons & female ends & try to come up with some other ideas (like a tiny chair swivel). hmmm....

________
Until then I will just make the initial 2 designs For Rossi Ranch Hands in .44mag & .45 LC (unless I can get a Chiappa or Rossi .22 to make templates off of - I want them to fit your rifles properly). I can do simple lettering, different borders if requested & I can add a loop/snap for the lever loop or hammer if requested for another $5.00.

**We'll have to discuss what I have the tools for & what I can do before you ask for anything special

Send me a PM if you are interested and would like to pick a colour & style.

I will make em by request - not in advance. (please remember this is a hobby for me - not a business, I am not a professional and just trying to help out some fellow Mare's Leg owners !)

--------> I would still like someone to have a look in person and let others know how they feel the quality and fit is <-------
Old 08-16-2012, 08:23 AM

This one is kind of cool.
http://www.cochiseleather.com/bullet...rnholster.aspx

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-17-2012, 03:23 PM

Congrats Lefty-Canuck on the first production 'Mare's Boot' !

Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 PM

Default Looks awesome.....can't wait to try it out!

Looks very cool....can't wait to give it a go.

Nice to be able to find a left-hand friendly holster that is one of a kind....great job! Those who know me will understand what the "skull" is all about.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 08-17-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

Look's great ... Thank's for posting !!!
Old 08-17-2012, 04:27 PM

Is there a story behind that.... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

Nice to be able to find a left-hand friendly holster that is one of a kind....great job! Those who know me will understand what the "skull" is all about.

LC
Old 08-17-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Skull and bones?
To me ( and many others here) it has something to do with the Grand Architect, but others use it as well....
Nice riggin' BTW!
Cat
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 AM

I have a Henry Mare's Leg. I am in SE Calgary and would be willing to meet up and see if it fits or use it for a pattern to make one.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 AM

Default Good Job

I ordered both the holster and scabbard in for the store for customers but I must says youve done an excellent job. You have developed both the holster and scabbard into one, my hats is off to you.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:36 PM

>edited.<

Last edited by Coho911; 08-20-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 08-20-2012, 12:37 PM

Thanks CJF, my next task is to build one that is a basic scabbard that can be slung over the back, tied into a backpack/saddle (molle as well) or be added to a belt loop and worn as a holster.

The 'Mare's utility boot'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
I ordered both the holster and scabbard in for the store for customers but I must says youve done an excellent job. You have developed both the holster and scabbard into one, my hats is off to you.