Spiderwire 12 15.19%
Stren 3 3.80%
Fireline 24 30.38%
Other 6 7.59%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Default Another battle of the braids...

Hey Everyone,
Yes this thread has been done before but.. here it is again...

This year im converting all my reels over to braid with fluro "tippets". I really hate mono and fluro on reels but love braid. I used to be a spiderwire guy myself but that was before it got bad UV damage really fast .
Never used any other braids before so i'm looking for opinions. Which is your favorite and WHY?

Also, Accidentally forgot Berkley Big Game Braid.. Whoops.

Last edited by FishingFrenzy; 02-22-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 PM

what do you classify as UV damage? I use spider wire camo braid and i havent notice anything wrong with my braid..i fish around 3x a week in the summer.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:28 PM

Power pro... I use 50lbs for my bait caster for pike and it works great. I used to get a lot of backlass from other braids. Someone here suggested it and it is the best I've found for braid on a bait caster.

I have 10 lbs power pro on a spinning rod for walleye. I also have a extra spool for my spinning reel with 8lbs mono for walleye/trout though. I think in clear water for finicky walleye/trout mono is best.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERCHY View Post
what do you classify as UV damage? I use spider wire camo braid and i havent notice anything wrong with my braid..i fish around 3x a week in the summer.
UV damage? Over time (1 summer) my line went from a nice strong black to a soft grey color that broke off frequently. UV damage is only thing i can think of. Spiderwire camo braid seems a bit different than EZ braid, maybe they improved it.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
Power pro... I use 50lbs for my bait caster for pike and it works great. I used to get a lot of backlass from other braids. Someone here suggested it and it is the best I've found for braid on a bait caster.

I have 10 lbs power pro on a spinning rod for walleye. I also have a extra spool for my spinning reel with 8lbs mono for walleye/trout though. I think in clear water for finicky walleye/trout mono is best.
I know what your saying about the mono, but braid with 6-8 feet of fluro tippet should work as well as mono in my opinion.

To each his own!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:45 PM

Spiderwire from the ice to the boat....
Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM

fireline and spyder wire are the same to me i ont lik them i use power pro.IMO
Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM

Power Pro. I like the round cross section and good knot strength. I used to use fireline but I found that it wasn't quite as strong as power pro per line strength and it didn't spool as nicely. Haven't used spiderwire so I don't know how they compare
Old 02-22-2011, 05:52 PM

title says...battle of braids
i think fireline is a fusion line.....either way its my choice
Old 02-22-2011, 05:57 PM

I just picked up some Power Pro 50lb and am very surprised how thin it is. Pretty spendy though.

I have never used this stuff before so I'm wondering if I should still use a steel leader for pike? Also, I always use a blood knot when fishing but I have heard of certain knots "loosening up" with this line. Is this knot compatible with this line or should I learn a new knot?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
I just picked up some Power Pro 50lb and am very surprised how thin it is. Pretty spendy though.

I have never used this stuff before so I'm wondering if I should still use a steel leader for pike? Also, I always use a blood knot when fishing but I have heard of certain knots "loosening up" with this line. Is this knot compatible with this line or should I learn a new knot?

Thanks in Advance.
they do sell a braid glue...you might want to try
Old 02-22-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
they do sell a braid glue...you might want to try
I thought that was for dreadlocks!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I thought that was for dreadlocks!
i think its just crazy glue in a different bottle.....you'd look good this week end with a new doo though
Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 PM

Power Pro

/thread.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 PM

I have used the knot that came in the fireline box for all my braids. Never used glue and never had a knot fail. Its probably the easiest knot I have tied!

fireline is junk... if you use it and haven't tried PP I suggest you do. fireline is flat and doens't spool right and cuts into itself which causes backlashes
Old 02-22-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks in Advance.
use a leader, they will still bite through the power pro, Ive watched them do it. havent lost one on a fluoro leader yet tho, still experimenting with it. I have 80 pound powerpro on my sturgeon/pike reel and also 30 pound on my spinning reel. only problem Ive had with it so far is the fibreglass weeds in the river in summer tend to get wrapped around it really good so its hard to reel in.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-22-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
I have used the knot that came in the fireline box for all my braids. Never used glue and never had a knot fail. Its probably the easiest knot I have tied!

fireline is junk... if you use it and haven't tried PP I suggest you do. fireline is flat and doens't spool right and cuts into itself which causes backlashes
never had a issue.
just lucky i guess
Old 02-22-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks in Advance.
Palomar knot is popular for braided line. It's also easy to fine tune with braided line as you pull the knot tight.

Last edited by iliketrout; 02-22-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-22-2011, 07:40 PM

Power Pro.

Power Pro I find is the smoothest and and most abrasion resistant braid i've used. When I've used 50lb power pro on my pike setup, only once out of many pike battles have I had a jack cut the line.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM

Hmmmm, I like all of them. Been using spiderline since it came out. Using power pro too. Also use fireline since it came out. Like em all.

But then again I still use mono for some fishing too and vanish as well. They all have their time and place. For fluorocarbons have been using Seagar since it came out too. Have had no issues with any of them.

Looking forward to trying the new suffix 832 - see what all the hype is. I suspect it will have its own following too.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
UV damage? Over time (1 summer) my line went from a nice strong black to a soft grey color that broke off frequently. UV damage is only thing i can think of. Spiderwire camo braid seems a bit different than EZ braid, maybe they improved it.
yep the old spyder wire i had wasnt camo it was green and it would become discolored and break fairly easily...the camo hasnt done that to me yet..i really havent looked at my summer gear yet this year but i am planning on re spooling my line (like every year) just in case.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 PM

I used to use fireline. It isn't braid but more of a superline (fused). JUNK line IMO. Frays and get lots of weak points. Since trying powerpro, lines have not come close to comparing to it's superior quality. I also like suffix too, but will keep with my power pro.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks in Advance.
Here's two tips, don't say you don't learn nothing for free here

1. Wet you line before completing the knot. They hold a lot better for whatever reason. As stated, palomar all the way for braid, blood won't do.

2. Pike test. I have a hard time believing a pike can chew through line better than I could. So do a test. If I can't bite through it and break it, neither can pike. Have never used a leader or lost a pike yet with power pro.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 PM

I agree about leaders. I have never used a leader and honestly out of every trip and hook I've got wet, I have only lost two. Spiderwire is awesome personally my favorite but like others haven't tried power pro so as for others though spiderwire is best. Palomar knot is what I use aswell for braided and putting the knot in mouth before finish tightening up. Even for panfishing I find I still moisten my knots.lol
Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 PM

I like Powerpro for pike and walleye because its so strong. I usually just tie a trilene and it holds up fine. For trout and perch I use 4lb Suffix Mono. If your drag is set right bigger trout put up a great fight. I like for perch because it's its almost invisible which I think is important, especially when they are being picky. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
I used to use fireline. It isn't braid but more of a superline (fused). . Frays and get lots of weak points. Since trying powerpro, lines have not come close to comparing to it's superior quality.
Agree 100%. Fireline is great for first couple trips and then it starts fraying peeling and gets weaker and weaker, especially if you fish rivers. Not worth the money.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:16 PM

just to add another question on the same topic....

do the percher's out there use braid on ultra light setups? Is there a 2lb test braid? I'm liking the idea of no stretch and feeling everything going on down there.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:58 AM

yup. There is superbraids or fusion lines at 4,3,2, and 1 pound test. I use them for perch and walleye.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 AM

Each superline has its own characteristics(sp). Power pro is stiffer then Spiderwire which makes it easier to tie in a wind. Spiderwire is very limp/soft and doesnt sink -lite jig and line watching in shallow. Windy days I will switch to power pro, But for shallow pitching - I still like spiderwire. Fused lines are mostly on my trolling reels and B bouncing reels.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Here's two tips, don't say you don't learn nothing for free here

2. Pike test. I have a hard time believing a pike can chew through line better than I could. So do a test. If I can't bite through it and break it, neither can pike. Have never used a leader or lost a pike yet with power pro.
Ok NM this is pretty much the first time one of your posts hasnt made much sense to me. you are comparing this

to this

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich