Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 06:46 PM

Default Cold Lake

I am planning on fishing Cold Lake next week does anyone know how deep the lake trout are?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:58 PM

I spent a week there over May long and caught them all between 70-120’. I didn’t spend much time looking in the shallow water but found lots where I was fishing.

Take some northern king spoons. They outfished everything else I tried.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:13 PM

I don't buy the "absolute rule" they are deep in summer and shallow in spring on many lakes including cold lake. Mark fish and drop and drag your gear there. Might be 20' or it might be 90'

Ice off the lake - early season - many many years and we are down 60'-90' and catching fish best at that depth.

Summer on a lake that size and the thermocline isn't that deep, and I've caught tons of lakers in August down only 25' or 30' (longer set back).

I've also caught them casting a spoon into "the soup" and jerking it on the surface in low light as they drive bait to the surface in the middle of summer.

I've also nailed on a fish down 120' off the rigger and then one on the planner board on a deep diving rapala (maybe down 20') like 4 minutes apart.

Lakers go where there is food. Mark them and fish where you see the fish.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:10 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

If you have electronics as in fish liar use it, hunt for the bait balls with hits just off of them, get the depth and go get them, they are lake trout and are very easy to catch using various techniques but sitting in the middle of now where with not an indication on the fish liar gadget is like winking at a beautiful woman in a dark room, you know what your doing but no one else does....good luck eh!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-14-2018, 09:19 PM

I most often catch them in 50-120 fow and some suspended over deeper water.. The depth will depend on the location, time of day, weather and likely a number of other effects.

As others have said move around until you see fish on your fish finder. Then target them at whatever depth they are at. Shallower fish are usually more active, you can't always find shallower fish though.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 PM

Thx for the Info I tried fishing twice for Lake trout on the weekend they seemed to be at every level but none were biting. (Most people I talked to were having little luck) We did manage to fill our over 50cm tags from Wolf Lake. (beautiful big lake with few boats on the water)
Old 06-18-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayling1 View Post
Thx for the Info I tried fishing twice for Lake trout on the weekend they seemed to be at every level but none were biting.
Lake trout can be picky. Once you find them then you need to dial them in. If you are marking fish they are looking at what you are offering so keep switching things up regularly until you start catching.

Moving around to find more active fish can be effective too. If I am marking fish but can't get them to bite or chase jigs etc then it often isn't worth wasting time trying to catch them. Just move and find some fish more interested in feeding.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayling1 View Post
Thx for the Info I tried fishing twice for Lake trout on the weekend they seemed to be at every level but none were biting. (Most people I talked to were having little luck) We did manage to fill our over 50cm tags from Wolf Lake. (beautiful big lake with few boats on the water)
We fished Sunday from 8 AM to 4 PM with a couple hours off in town for lunch. Two of us brought 63 lakers to the boat. Took us an hour or so to find them with only two fish the first hour and a few bites. Three were legal with the biggest at 82 cm. Only a couple under 5 lbs. They were a bit shallower than we find them in July . They were on or near bottom(within ten feet) on a shelf at 55 to 75 ft, give or take. First fish of the day was in 80 ft but suspended at 40 ft. It was the best fishing I've seen this early with us hooking up as soon as we were back on bottom. Weather was perfect, hardly a ripple on the water!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
We fished Sunday from 8 AM to 4 PM with a couple hours off in town for lunch. Two of us brought 63 lakers to the boat. Took us an hour or so to find them with only two fish the first hour and a few bites. Three were legal with the biggest at 82 cm. Only a couple under 5 lbs. They were a bit shallower than we find them in July . They were on or near bottom(within ten feet) on a shelf at 55 to 75 ft, give or take. First fish of the day was in 80 ft but suspended at 40 ft. It was the best fishing I've seen this early with us hooking up as soon as we were back on bottom. Weather was perfect, hardly a ripple on the water!
Sounds similar fishing strategies I used but a bit better results then I had a few weeks ago out there. I can tell you one thing about the lake, it’s not nearly as good as it was even a few short years ago. Guys have to work for it harder now and lots get skunked. Pro tip for the newb.....down size from what you think/read/heard/seen on TV......try a jig and minnow pretend you are fishing for finicky walleye but in deeper water.....Your welcome....
Old 06-18-2018, 11:03 PM

Good to hear you were catching fish Big Thumper I wish I would have been where you were we fished Sunday from 8 to 10 am when we ran out of battery power for the trolling motor also trying depths where you had luck.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:16 PM

Was out Sunday from 10-12, caught four lakers using a pink lady, willow leaf attached to it and then three feet behind that a 4" apex hot spot rainbow trout pattern. Approx 30 feet down, just farting around then went for pike after....was too hot out for my liking and the freeking big fly's were disgusting so packed it in but the trout were hitting

Old 06-19-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Was out Sunday from 10-12, caught four lakers using a pink lady, willow leaf attached to it and then three feet behind that a 4" apex hot spot rainbow trout pattern. Approx 30 feet down, just farting around then went for pike after....was too hot out for my liking and the freeking big fly's were disgusting so packed it in but the trout were hitting
We had those big flies too, thankfully, they were not biting flies It was hot, we used our dun roof for the first time this year!.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:34 PM

Horse fly's. As long as your skin isn't wet from the water or sweating you will be fine. If you skin happens to get wet and they take a bite, you'll know.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
Fishing been getting better every year at Cold ,numbers are getting up there.
Having the days where the water is like glass sure is nice ......Thanks for sharing.

Group of us are heading up July Long . I hope the weather is the same.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Fishing been getting better every year at Cold ,numbers are getting up there.
Having the days where the water is like glass sure is nice ......Thanks for sharing.

Group of us are heading up July Long . I hope the weather is the same.
I would have to disagree. I've seen a pretty steady decline in number of fish and quality of fish in the last decade. You can still have descent days of catching 10+ each and the odd 85+ cm slob, but its fewer and farther between. Defiantly more fishing pressure now, and I think its starting to show.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
I would have to disagree. I've seen a pretty steady decline in number of fish and quality of fish in the last decade. You can still have descent days of catching 10+ each and the odd 85+ cm slob, but its fewer and farther between. Defiantly more fishing pressure now, and I think its starting to show.
I catch 10+ lakers most days while fishing in my kayak and have had 30+ fish days. If you are using a boat 10+ should be easy.

Catching big fish is hit or miss, mostly just low to mid 20's(inches) and a few high 20's/low 30's.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:18 PM

Right at the launch the sign says a 75cm trout is 18 plus years old. Only in Alberta would they encourage you to kill an ancient fish like that. Could have a slot for a month of retention in the summer and a month of retention in the winter. Keep one small one, 45-55cm along those lines.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:27 PM

I think slot would be good but I'd set it larger then that. Say 65-75 cm. Wouldn't affect the population too much but would make it so there are more trophies swimming around and the fish people do keep would be better eating.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I think slot would be good but I'd set it larger then that. Say 65-75 cm. Wouldn't affect the population too much but would make it so there are more trophies swimming around and the fish people do keep would be better eating.
I agree on the slot size but as for the size I am unsure. I want to agree with what you posted but.... Every person that goes out there and catches a laker, is likely going to catch one in that slot and how long until it's fished out?

I don't keep many fish myself, I kept 3 all last year, 1 laker, 1 walleye and 1 burbot but know there are guys going out there to catch to keep.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
I would have to agree been Fishin cold Lake for about 12 years now and that's what I've been finding smaller fish and not as many

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
I agree on the slot size but as for the size I am unsure. I want to agree with what you posted but.... Every person that goes out there and catches a laker, is likely going to catch one in that slot and how long until it's fished out?

I don't keep many fish myself, I kept 3 all last year, 1 laker, 1 walleye and 1 burbot but know there are guys going out there to catch to keep.
It can't get fished out as long as the minimum size is large enough that the fish can spawn a time or two before they reach minimum size. I would think 65 cm would allow that but could be wrong and maybe it needs to be say 70 cm. The bios would be able to determine that length quite easily(they should already know it).

You would probably notice fewer fish in the 65-75 cm range but you would also catch more 20-30+ lbers which is a trade I would make any day of the week. I also wonder if the 65-75 cm sizes would actually get fished out though, I think it might be like Calling or Slave were the lake is productive enough to support retention. It sees decent pressure but really not that much considering the size of it and I would imagine most locals would rather find a walleye or pike to eat since the meat is far superior.

One other thing to think about is the guys that go out to try and catch a keeper currently C&R probably 30-40 smaller fish on average before they catch a keeper and with noticeable C&R mortality. If those guys only had to go catch 5-10 fish to catch their one keeper they could end up killing fewer fish then what they currently do.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:01 AM

They would go for a tag system before they go for just a slot size.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:08 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I would have to agree been Fishin cold Lake for about 12 years now and that's what I've been finding smaller fish and not as many

Well been on this lake 15 years, 20 minutes from front door to on the lake, my take is the last 3 years have been incredible with lots of just legal or smaller, throw in say every 20 fish we catch a legal of bigger one but a quick picture then over they go to grow.
These undersized ones are starting to get to that legal size but that's where the problem is, us as anglers have to regulate ourselves if this pale is to ever meet a true trophy lake.
We got out and if we are concentrating on the lake trout, fish in and around the bait balls getting marks etc we can put 20 plus fish on in a few hours...in between sandwiches

Old 06-22-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
They would go for a tag system before they go for just a slot size.
Yup and unlike walleye I wouldn't have an issue with tags there. They aren't worth eating lol.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:14 AM

They could do like they did on the Red River in Manitoba one trophy tag fish a year then have a slot size for eaters

Old 06-22-2018, 11:23 AM

Would it be shocking and upsetting to most if we took one of the few lake trout lakes in Alberta and made it C&R? It is the only trout lake in AB with a large town on its shore and a huge provincial park. Imagine a lake two hours away from millions of people that had catchable 30lb fish.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:27 AM

Lake has trophy potential but where are they ? A handful of 30’s a year for the pressure it gets makes me wonder, Manitoba is the other way , allowing fish under 65cm to be kept and no retention of larger fish. That has proven to work
Old 06-22-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
They could do like they did on the Red River in Manitoba one trophy tag fish a year then have a slot size for eaters

I would like to see that for most species and waters
Old 06-22-2018, 11:59 AM

Going a little OT.

I have some flatfish blanks that I need to put some paint to, what are some go to colors. at this point I am thinking silver, gold, glow and firetiger.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Lake has trophy potential but where are they ? A handful of 30’s a year for the pressure it gets makes me wonder, Manitoba is the other way , allowing fish under 65cm to be kept and no retention of larger fish. That has proven to work
Will never work here. 4x the population 1/50th of fishable water bodies.