Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-28-2023, 02:24 PM
bezzola's Avatar
bezzola bezzola is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: edmonton
Posts: 1,844
Default Norma

Does anyone here shoot a 308 norma. What is it close to does it but out like a 300 win
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-28-2023, 02:40 PM
fps plus fps plus is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,832
Default

My prose and grammar are not the best but have no idea what you are asking here . Please clarify
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-28-2023, 02:41 PM
huntinstuff's Avatar
huntinstuff huntinstuff is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 9,606
Default

The difference in reality between 308 Norma and 300 win mag is conversational.

If you had both, blindfolded yourself and shot both, you couldnt tell which was which.

I had a Schultz and Larsen 308 Norma. No difference to me compared to a 300win mag. Except at that time the ammo was $75 a box.
__________________
When you are born, you get a ticket to the Freak Show.
If you are born in Canada, you get a front row seat.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 11-28-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-28-2023, 03:03 PM
bezzola's Avatar
bezzola bezzola is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: edmonton
Posts: 1,844
Default

I have a friend that is selling of a few firearms that im going to look at and is one is the 308 norma. Just wondering if its worth grabbing. Can factory ammo still be bought i can honestly say i never seen ammo on a shelf.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-28-2023, 03:26 PM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 45,070
Default

308 Norma Magnum ammunition can be found if you look hard enough, but it isn't cheap. Be sure not to confuse 308Norma, and 300Norma, they aren't the same.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-28-2023, 03:31 PM
huntinstuff's Avatar
huntinstuff huntinstuff is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 9,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
I have a friend that is selling of a few firearms that im going to look at and is one is the 308 norma. Just wondering if its worth grabbing. Can factory ammo still be bought i can honestly say i never seen ammo on a shelf.
I dont believe buying it would do you any good. Ammo is wildly expensive. Starts at $130/box of 20
__________________
When you are born, you get a ticket to the Freak Show.
If you are born in Canada, you get a front row seat.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-28-2023, 06:19 PM
Coiloil37's Avatar
Coiloil37 Coiloil37 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,121
Default

I had one about 15-20 years ago. With a 26” barrel and full noise handloads I could hardly beat ‘06 velocity across my chrony. A 180 at 2900 was the best I could achieve, 165’s at 3050ish. Both loaded with many different powders and projectiles.

Perhaps my results are in the minority and perhaps that rifle had an oversized chamber but it was a cartridge I couldn’t achieve listed velocity with any load. If I didn’t have a chronograph and trusted the book and felt recoil I would have thought it was a .300 mag of some flavour.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-29-2023, 01:09 AM
Pioneer2 Pioneer2 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,325
Default .308 nm

Easy to make ammo..........reload. You can FL resize 7mm Rem mag and ,338 Win mag brass or .300 Win mag and trim. Same as loading any other calibre.With smarter marketing [ammo + guns available at the same time] the copycat .300 win mag wouldn't have existed. Companies steal other's ideas.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-29-2023, 06:16 AM
catnthehat's Avatar
catnthehat catnthehat is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. McMurray
Posts: 38,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I had one about 15-20 years ago. With a 26” barrel and full noise handloads I could hardly beat ‘06 velocity across my chrony. A 180 at 2900 was the best I could achieve, 165’s at 3050ish. Both loaded with many different powders and projectiles.

Perhaps my results are in the minority and perhaps that rifle had an oversized chamber but it was a cartridge I couldn’t achieve listed velocity with any load. If I didn’t have a chronograph and trusted the book and felt recoil I would have thought it was a .300 mag of some flavour.
If you used the same bullet weight you would have seen a difference.
However, as has been not , very similar to 30o mag except fr the difference i the neck.
Velocities are interchangeable with the 300 magnum.
Cat
__________________
Anytime I figure I've got this long range thing figured out, I just strap into the sling and irons and remind myself that I don't!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-04-2024, 10:10 AM
Prophet River Prophet River is offline
AO Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I dont believe buying it would do you any good. Ammo is wildly expensive. Starts at $130/box of 20
https://store.prophetriver.com/norma...20ct-20174912/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.