Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2013, 11:20 AM

Default New to waterfowling

Hi all,

Recently started hunting Mallards/Canada's last year after visiting the girlfriend's farm in SK and loved every second of it.

Last year was my first season and I'm hoping to buddy up with someone who would be willing to help me get some more experience out in the field and show me some of the ropes. I have all my own gear (calls, clothing, waders, 4W Jeep, guns...) except for decoys.

I am 30, shoot sober, responsible and ethical hunter who likes to hunt with likeminded individuals. I've been practicing my calls but I'm a novice to say the least!

I'm located in Calgary and work a great shift that gives me every Friday/Saturday/Sunday off so getting up early and driving to locations isn't an issue.

If you're open to having a "new guy" tag along please let me know!

Steve
Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWMAYOR View Post
Hi Guys,

Just want to try to look for some luck for permission for land access if by chance somebody who is land owner or lease a land in 314 area, I got a draw for moose this year in 314. I am very new to Calgary and I just moved to Calgary last year.
I am just over 40s and I am a responsible and safe hunter. I want to have a rifle hunting this year in this area.
I don't want to inconvenience anyone and would be very appreciative of any time that I would be allowed to join a group or make a parter and some hunting friends for permission to land access for this area.

Feel free to send me a message.

Thank you for your kindness and Thanks for your time.
up
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Default Looking fo BEAR!

Hi guys and gals*

I gave been hunting a fair bit, in the last 5 years. I try to get out at least every other weekend. And have had some pretty good success at it. I gave bagged a few deer and some yotes here and there, but I have been very very interested in trying to bag myself a pretty good size bear. I have boughten a bear tag every year hoping that maybe I'll be lucky enough to come across one. But no luck year after year. So I'm just wondering if one of you fine people would be able to show me the ropes and teach me how truly hunt bear and help me bag one this season. I'm a very responsible hunter, I'm 22 not much of a alcohol drinker, I don't touch drugs what so ever and nor will I. I do have all my gear including rifles, a*ruck sack, I have a truck but the only thing I don't have is a quad. But other then that I have everything I am more then willing to pay for gas and other supplies if we do end up using your things. All I'd like to do, is find a person to show me the ropes of hunting bear and hopefully help me harvest a BIG one! Feel free to either PM or email me at M_webber999@hotmail.com

Cheers
Mike.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 PM

Default Lab's looking for action

Hi

I am new to Canada, Calgary since January this year and brought with me two lab's from Denmark.
We have done a little waterfowl hunting in Denmark but is eager to learn how it is done here in Alberta, and was thinking that the best way would be helping out as retrievers.
So if anybody needs help with dog work we are ready.

Morten
Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Default Looking for area to bow hunt

Hey everyone. I'm new to bow hunting in AB. I'm in the Calgary area. If anyone would be kind enough to take me out bow hunting in the Calgary area would be great. Or if some can help me out with land to hunt on.

Name is Shane, send me a text at 587-888-1874
Old 09-11-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWMAYOR View Post
Hi Guys,

As I have posted, I am a new guys just moved to Clagray las year. I am wondering if somebody would like me to be allowed to join your group or a partner to have a geese hunting in these couple coming weekend?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:20 AM

Default wmu 336

i recently found out i made a foolish mistake, i thought i had applied for mule deer in zone 238 where i have a ton of permission/access to some great mule deer and white tail territory, but either I'm dyslexic or careless i got drawn for 336, i am a hunt a loner and willing to exchange some knowledge on different wmu's i just don't want to waste a season learning new country for a draw that is getting increasingly harder to get(waste is strong word..... looking for somewhere to start)not ruling out some one to hunt with either.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:23 AM

Lets hunt some Elk.

I have the camp and all the necessary things, you need to show up with a cot and sleeping bag and a good attitude .
I am tired of the usual no show Guys that don't let you know they ain't coming till 5 mins before unloading .

If anyone is interested send me a pm, leaving sunday for 10 days of hardcore elk hunting
Old 09-14-2013, 06:33 AM

Default Deer hunt third week of November, peak of rut (hopefully)

I'm almost positive my buddy is going to bail on me for the week of deer hunting I've booked off November 15-24. I've rented a 28 foot trailer for the week and have a truck to haul it. The trailer sleeps 4 or 5 depending on your expected level of comfort... I'm looking for experienced and ethical hunting partners. I'm open to hunting crown or, even better, private land if you have access to some prime deer country. Hoping to find a group who could split or at least pitch on the trailer rental (not too much), contribute in some way or just share in my first Alberta hunting experience... I've hunted 4 years for deer, moose and whitetails in Ontario and am confident in my skills and abilities. Really hoping to make some friends and get an amazing whitetail or two.

Pm. me if you have a good location within 3 or so hours of Edmonton and want to hunt!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:13 PM

I'm new to grouse hunting and looking for someone to go with on the weekends. I went today for my first time and managed to bag two ruffies and now I'm hooked. Anyways I'm 22 years old, respectful and probably one of the most easy going and laid back person you will meet. I live in south edmonton and don't mind traveling a couple of hours.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn1 View Post
Lets hunt some Elk.

I have the camp and all the necessary things, you need to show up with a cot and sleeping bag and a good attitude .
I am tired of the usual no show Guys that don't let you know they ain't coming till 5 mins before unloading .

If anyone is interested send me a pm, leaving sunday for 10 days of hardcore elk hunting
I wish I had seen this earlier ,i am out of holiday time.

I know where you are coming from. years back I had a 1 week sheep trip planned in the Nordegg area. My partner backed out 2 days early as he was invited on a horse back elk hunt. I went by my self. First 3 days were great seen 2 full curl rams and a black cougar 75 ft away. As the days went on ,it just was not fun hunting alone. Got back home. No internet to meet others hunters.....Sold everything. Going solo again this weekend for elk as my new partner decided to go with someone else 4 weeks ago ....sucks !
We forgive, but don't forget.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:53 PM

Default Looking to get out on a hunt this year

I'm looking to get into deer hunting and need someone to show me the ropes. I used to bird hunt with my dad as a kid but that was a long time ago. I have my own rifle and personal gear. I do not have a quad or truck but am more than willing to pitch in for fuel, food etc...

I am open to weekend hunts anywhere within a 6 hour drive of Calgary. Always a good excuse to take a Friday off work.

Not interested in more party than hunting trips, just looking to go out stalk some deer and if we are lucky bring some meat home.

Message me here for contact details.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:40 PM

I live in Edmonton and looking for a partner to hunt whitetail with oct 28-nov 2. I'm not new to hunting and maybe someone out there would like to drive out together and save some gas. Send me a message and we can talk.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:38 AM

Looking for a hunting partner located in the Beaumont area. Have all my own gear bow or rifle have a few good hunting spots already have cams up and a stand. Just looking for someone that enjoys being quiet and can sit for longer then five mins at a time. Also do a lot of backpacking hunts and scouting in the foothills area north of nordegg along the trunk road.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:44 PM

The beautiful thing about Alberta is we are privileged enough to be allowed to bait for bear. Your best bet is spring bear hunting, having said that there are a lot of tricks to running a successful bait site.

If its something you're interested in shoot me a message and I can give you some good pointers and point you in the right direction.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 PM

Where are you going i might be able to pull that off
Old 09-16-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Lets hunt some Elk.

Sorry where are you going? I might be able to pull it off
Old 09-16-2013, 05:21 PM

Default Elk hunting partner

I am a 31 y/o looking for a hunting partner to go with. I have my own gear including Montana canvas with stove, I'm a good shot both bow and rifle. I have permission on some prime land and also hunt crown in 402. Pm if you wanna talk more about elk!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 PM

Default looking for a solid hunting partner

hey, what's up guys.. how many of you feel like this is man dating hahhaha? My girl gives me a hard time all the time hahahah good on her, I give her too hard of enough time daily for her not to hhaha. I am a very experienced 37 yo outdoorsman, "one of the boyz" my whole life playing football, rugby, hockey, and a bunch of other sports. I'm a solid outdoorsman, hunting, camping and fishing/flyfishing starting around the age of about 4, and growing up in the country, when my Dad would take me on weekly excursions for deer, grouse and trout in NB, often staying in lean-tos on WE canoe treks through miles of rugged strings of lakes. I have lived in Calgary for 10 yrs, and have loved the outdoor adventures here from the start. I've fly-fished for trout from day 1 here, and I just got back into hunting when I bought my first home 4 yrs ago in SE Calgary with my girl and lab pup. I love hitting the foothills around SW and NW Calgary for deer, moose, and elk with the bow and rifle. I also got back into ducks and geese last fall for the first time in 20 yrs, it was a tonne of fun! I have a raft for collecting the downed birds on the bow river close to home! Growing up I'd hunt with my Dad and my best friend for years. I have had a few hunting partners since getting back into it in the last 4 yrs, but haven't found the right fit yet. Most guys I've met are scared of bears, scared of lugging out large game, argumentative when they don't know what they are doing, lack a fortitiude for hard work, and to be honest kinda typical city folk. To me, solid hunters likely don't drive audi's, wear E. Hurley t-shirts with flip-flops, and don't need guides to be successful. I am looking for a solid, tough, honest, loyal, consistent hunting partner to meet up with most weeks during the season. Someone who is a solid outdoorsman, patient, not scared of bears or cold weather, knows how to keep it light, fun, and upbeat, and can hike a distance without complaining about it. I would like to hook up with an old school hunting enthusiast, not someone who is mesmorized by smartphones, the latest gadgets, and warm feet. Hunting in my mind is hard work (not about brand names), and comes with some sacrifice at times (potentially looking for game at night, lugging out heavy game and supplies on your back, sleeping in the cold, walking long distances etc). I feel the hard work should always finish with a cold beer or 3, and some good laughs. I like having a good time when hunting. In the end outdoor skills, knowing how to have a great time in the peace of the outdoors, and taking care of the animals we are after are the most important parts of our hunt. As an aside, I don't have an ATV, so my work is done on foot. I do have a game cart, and a couple frames for packing boned-out moose or elk out. I also have a backcountry pack and just went on my first backcountry bow elk trip with a buddy of mine, great time! We saw some elk, but tough to get within bow range, they are a great challenge! I'd really like to start getting into WMU 402, and concentrate on the end of sept gen elk rifle season for a bull in the mass of forest down there. I am a fella that always gets my animals during the fall, and would like to meet up with a similar serious hunter that is a good, solid, funny guy. From a processing standpoint, I still use a butcher, but I like making my own jerky, addicting man! I'd like to get into making my own deer sausage next. I feel like, work hard and play hard is a good motto for my hunting. The camaraderie, beers, and laughs during and at the end of the day are why I want to meet up with another good solid hunting partner similar to my younger days. I don't like sharing locations with everyone, so if ya shoot me an email, I'd like to go out for a few beers and maybe some target practise a few times before going hunting to ensure a good fit. Good luck this yr afield fellas! Adam
Old 09-16-2013, 06:00 PM

pm'd ya

Last edited by foothillzman; 09-16-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:18 AM

Default Mountainman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainman82 View Post
Sorry where are you going? I might be able to pull it off
I am in 340, might be a ways north for you but thought I would throw it out there.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I am in 340, might be a ways north for you but thought I would throw it out there.
That is a bit north for next week, I could do that trip later mid oct...... Too bad. Next time maybe
Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillzman View Post
hey, what's up guys.. how many of you feel like this is man dating hahhaha? My girl gives me a hard time all the time hahahah good on her, I give her too hard of enough time daily for her not to hhaha. I am a very experienced 37 yo outdoorsman, "one of the boyz" my whole life playing football, rugby, hockey, and a bunch of other sports. I'm a solid outdoorsman, hunting, camping and fishing/flyfishing starting around the age of about 4, and growing up in the country, when my Dad would take me on weekly excursions for deer, grouse and trout in NB, often staying in lean-tos on WE canoe treks through miles of rugged strings of lakes. I have lived in Calgary for 10 yrs, and have loved the outdoor adventures here from the start. I've fly-fished for trout from day 1 here, and I just got back into hunting when I bought my first home 4 yrs ago in SE Calgary with my girl and lab pup. I love hitting the foothills around SW and NW Calgary for deer, moose, and elk with the bow and rifle. I also got back into ducks and geese last fall for the first time in 20 yrs, it was a tonne of fun! I have a raft for collecting the downed birds on the bow river close to home! Growing up I'd hunt with my Dad and my best friend for years. I have had a few hunting partners since getting back into it in the last 4 yrs, but haven't found the right fit yet. Most guys I've met are scared of bears, scared of lugging out large game, argumentative when they don't know what they are doing, lack a fortitiude for hard work, and to be honest kinda typical city folk. To me, solid hunters likely don't drive audi's, wear E. Hurley t-shirts with flip-flops, and don't need guides to be successful. I am looking for a solid, tough, honest, loyal, consistent hunting partner to meet up with most weeks during the season. Someone who is a solid outdoorsman, patient, not scared of bears or cold weather, knows how to keep it light, fun, and upbeat, and can hike a distance without complaining about it. I would like to hook up with an old school hunting enthusiast, not someone who is mesmorized by smartphones, the latest gadgets, and warm feet. Hunting in my mind is hard work (not about brand names), and comes with some sacrifice at times (potentially looking for game at night, lugging out heavy game and supplies on your back, sleeping in the cold, walking long distances etc). I feel the hard work should always finish with a cold beer or 3, and some good laughs. I like having a good time when hunting. In the end outdoor skills, knowing how to have a great time in the peace of the outdoors, and taking care of the animals we are after are the most important parts of our hunt. As an aside, I don't have an ATV, so my work is done on foot. I do have a game cart, and a couple frames for packing boned-out moose or elk out. I also have a backcountry pack and just went on my first backcountry bow elk trip with a buddy of mine, great time! We saw some elk, but tough to get within bow range, they are a great challenge! I'd really like to start getting into WMU 402, and concentrate on the end of sept gen elk rifle season for a bull in the mass of forest down there. I am a fella that always gets my animals during the fall, and would like to meet up with a similar serious hunter that is a good, solid, funny guy. From a processing standpoint, I still use a butcher, but I like making my own jerky, addicting man! I'd like to get into making my own deer sausage next. I feel like, work hard and play hard is a good motto for my hunting. The camaraderie, beers, and laughs during and at the end of the day are why I want to meet up with another good solid hunting partner similar to my younger days. I don't like sharing locations with everyone, so if ya shoot me an email, I'd like to go out for a few beers and maybe some target practise a few times before going hunting to ensure a good fit. Good luck this yr afield fellas! Adam

Pmd you.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:19 AM

Default Any camps or groups need an extra man?

Hi everyone. I've posted on this forum a few times and am getting anxious as the season approaches.

I'm a 25 year old guy new to Alberta but not new to hunting and the outdoors. I'm physically fit, very helpful and respectful, and excellent at pushing bush or sitting still. Back in Ontario I was fortunate enough to be in several amazing deer and moose camps and will miss out on those opportunities this year.

I'm really hoping to find a camp/ group or buddy that has access to some good hunting land or already has a good piece of crown staked out. Unfortunately, I haven't and will not have enough time to scout before deer season and am worried that the season will roll around without me being prepared.

At this point I have the third week of November booked off but might be able to change it slightly if need be. Please get back to me if you need another hunter with woods-smarts and enthusiasm
Old 09-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Banned

Default Looking to join a hunt camp

I'm looking to be part of a hunting camp between now and the end of October. I live in Fort McMurray but I am willing to drive. I don't care what you are hunting, I just want to get out in the bush and enjoy a few cook ups with some nice people. I have my own cot and atv. I'm a 40 year old easy to get along with Newfie from St. John's. I'm willing to help out with camp setup and cleaning/prepping any game that is killed. I have my own tags for deer, brides, etc. pm me here please if you have any offers.

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:07 PM

Default Law enforcement hunting buddy

A few guys looking to hunt geese, duck, upland around Calgary. all have shot guns, looking for someone with gear (decoys, calls, etc.)
Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 PM

Default Continuing to look for partner to hunt moose in 314

Hi Guys,

As I have posted, I got a draw for moose this year in 314. I am very new to Calgary and I just moved to Calgary last year.
I am just over 40s and I am a responsible and safe hunter. I want to have a rifle hunting this year in this area.
I don't want to inconvenience anyone and would be very appreciative of any time that I would be allowed to join a group or make a parter and some hunting friends to hunt together for this area. I really don't want to waste the moose tag.

Thank you for your kindness and Thanks for your time.

Eddie
Old 09-20-2013, 11:16 PM

I am a 37-year-old male, new to hunting but not shooting. Looking to hunt upland (pheasant, huns, grouse), or maybe ducks this year. Whitetail also a possibility. Location: Fort Macleod, AB.

I am looking for a safe and reliable hunting partner, male or female. Can be new hunter as well, or more experienced. I am working up a bird dog (I'll leave her at home when hunting) this year that will be ready to hunt birds over next year.

If you are interested I hunting pheasant or Huns near Fort Macleod or Magrath area between Oct. 15 and Nov. 15th, pm me. I am also open to Whitetail deer, mainly to learn.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:48 AM

Default Need a decent hunting partner/mentor (I am fairly new to hunting)

I am looking for someone to mentor me on hunting in AB. I have been trying to hunt for past couple of years but not with much luck. I am looking for someone experienced to mentor me for big game hunting. I am close to Edmonton.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Default Anyone up for a little bow hunting?

Looking for a hunting partner for bow and/or rifle. Mostly stick to crown land as I havent had much luck with permission. I have my own gear, just need someone to go with.