Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-17-2012, 05:41 PM

Default broadheads

hey guys im headed to kansas in may for a turkey hunt and will be taking my bow with me, i have absolutely zero experience hunting turkeys and am wondering what kind of broadheads guys are using or have had success with on turkeys, im shooting a bowtech destroyer 350 so speed shouldnt be an issue. Ive only ever shot fixed blade broad heads but i was thinking that it may be time for a change. What are guys using these days and if anyones had experience with turkeys that would be a great help.
Thx, 7.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 PM

Never hunted turkey but if went I would use one of larger cutting diameter grim reapers...
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 PM

2" grim reaper whitetail specials is what I would be flying at a turkey. 3 blades with a big cutting diameter to take out small vitals.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 PM

ive been kicking around the idea of shooting the 2" 2 blade rage broad heads, anyone shooting these?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 PM

I use Gobbler Guillotines and they really do work. that being said, I have killed them with Muzzy fixed blades, as well as (what are now) Schwackers, and tekan 3 blades. I have buddies that have killed them with a variety of mechanicals and fixed blade broadheads. The downside of the whole guillotine thing is that you have to build special arrows so that they stick out past your riser, and you are gonna want to put flu-flu s on. I too shoot a 350, but believe me when I tell you stealth is waaaaaaaay more important than speed! they have a very keen eye for movement and are very wary. It's way easier to shoot them than it ever is to get drawn on them!!

Have fun!

Norm
Old 12-17-2012, 09:25 PM

the hunting will be from ground blinds so i think that getting drawn will be a little easier than hunting on the ground. thanks for the advice guys
Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 PM

i used a three blade spitfire with muzzy grass hoppers behind them, they worked great but of course like anything shot placement is critical. even in a groundblind they can bust you surprisingly well, make sure u sit as far back as you can in the blind and keep as small of a shooting window open as you can get away with. good luck on the hunt be prepared to be addicted to turkey hunting, its a rush.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
the hunting will be from ground blinds so i think that getting drawn will be a little easier than hunting on the ground. thanks for the advice guys
yep, a little easier, but still no piece of cake!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
ive been kicking around the idea of shooting the 2" 2 blade rage broad heads, anyone shooting these?
These are my go to broadheads! Bear, Moose, Mule and Whitetail. None have made it iver 50 yards after being hit with these beauties!! Exellent blood trails, exellent flight path, as close as I have found to field points. The practice broadhead that come with is a real confidence booster knowing exactly where your broadhead will hit without actually having to ruin good broadheads. I switched from fix blade Muzzy's to fix blade Montec G5 and then to Rage 2 blades....... never looked back! I have never used them on Turkey's (still waiting to get drawn for down south) but I imagine they would punch those tom's pretty hard!

Good luck with the hunt! Post your pics!!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:36 AM

Check this out for Guillotine broadheads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYsK85Vdg-4
Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 AM

Default turkey broadheads

Magnus Bull heads or the guillotines, shoot for the head or neck.
Dead or clean miss. Shouldn't have to shoot over 15 yards out of a blind.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:06 PM

Grim reapers can't be beat IMHO

Mtnbowhunter
Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM

Large Cutting Expandable,Imo...Good Luck in Kansas,I Was in Nebraska last spring and Loved it...Grizz