Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2018, 08:42 PM

Default Coal Lake....North Side

Drove on the highway on the North side of Coal lake this afternoon and saw quite a few guys out on the lake on the south side, but no one fishing the lake on the North side.

In the summer I see quite a few guys fishing off the shore in the North side, any reason why guys wouldn't be out fishing there in the winter?
Old 02-06-2018, 08:54 PM

Missed her by about ten years bud. There was a time when it was crawling with 8 to 15 lb pike and they were aggressive and tasty. 3 a day limit times 60 to a hundred guys you do the math. Still the odd good fish but sheez done. I caught my share but when all you can keep is your breeding females that's the final effects. Hammerhandles and not many and the day they hit 63 and a quarter cm. Whack.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:46 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear. The highway (616) on the North side of the lake goes through a portion of the lake and there only seems to be guys that fish on the South side of the highway in the winter. In the summer when I drive by guys are fishing on both sides of the highway, so why does no one ice fish the North side?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF & JF View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear. The highway (616) on the North side of the lake goes through a portion of the lake and there only seems to be guys that fish on the South side of the highway in the winter. In the summer when I drive by guys are fishing on both sides of the highway, so why does no one ice fish the North side?
Probably shallow on the other side is my guess.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:52 PM

There's no water north of the highway anymore, maybe 3 feet deep.

WC
Old 02-07-2018, 02:56 AM

North side can be sketchy thin ice. There is a flow under the culvert on the highway at the north end of the lake, and ice can be very thin along this channel into the main lake. The flow also means the water can be pretty murky at the north end. I've fished it once or twice at the north end in winter, but never caught anything.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF & JF View Post
Oh you were very clear on your question,not sure where Pikeman was going with that whole paragraph about nothing lol.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:41 PM

Never mind. The lake has an access on the south end of the lake too...thought that's what he was talking about. Go back in your hole.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:11 PM
Banned

In drought years I have seen the water level below the north side. It's not very deep there