Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-03-2021, 12:19 PM

Default Where to buy homing pigeons?

So I am currently looking for a new pup to replace my old lab who went on ahead without me last year. In prep to training a new dog as well as for something to do out of hunting season i would like to establish a loft of pigeons. Does anyone have a few for sale or know where i could get a few? I see a few adds on kijiji but can just imagine a resourceful young fella selling a box of feral pigeons while laughing all the way home. (I know they are basically the same in the way a field trial champ and the neighbors lab husky cross are the same)

Additionally if anyone knows of a litter of pudelpointers, gwp, or dd's from a breeder that they can reccomrnd i can offer it a great home where it will get used to hunt and trained lots with the advantage of a 12 year old boy that is only in the house to sleep and refuel.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:36 PM

Reach out to Guiddo at North Star Doves south of Ponoka, he has all kinds of pigeons. 403-783-8300
Old 01-04-2021, 10:48 AM

Selling homing pigeons is a great side business! I have a bunch that I have sold 6 times now!

LOL!
Old 01-04-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
Selling homing pigeons is a great side business! I have a bunch that I have sold 6 times now!

LOL!
A friend of mine does the same thing lol. You need to keep them locked up for a while. Some are stronger homers than others. Sometimes it's been months and a few come back.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:10 PM

Remember:

If you release a homing pigeon and it doesn't come back, you haven't lost a homing pigeon......you lost a pigeon
Old 01-04-2021, 01:19 PM

There are a couple of ways to do this. You can get breeding stock or unflown squeekers.

I had never heard about that seller so you may be able to get squeekers but I never was able to.

The complication of breeding stock is getting a male and female that will mate, but you can mitigate that by getting a few. But the big complication is that if they are good homers they will never re-roost so you need a loft for your breeders and a loft for your homegrown birds, at least for a while.

If you give the birds 18 hours of light in the koop they will breed all year I have had chicks survive -35 the light and the water heater kept enough heat for them to survive.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:11 PM

I have a rather large flock of king pigeons I raise for meat. They are definitely not as nimble as homers. I will be replacing a quarter of my breeding stock this year so should have about 1200 birds going for soup in a few months.
Also if you do keep your own flock they do very well over winter. I have no heat in my barns and have very little mortality due to cold.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGrohms View Post
I have a rather large flock of king pigeons I raise for meat. They are definitely not as nimble as homers. I will be replacing a quarter of my breeding stock this year so should have about 1200 birds going for soup in a few months.
Also if you do keep your own flock they do very well over winter. I have no heat in my barns and have very little mortality due to cold.
So out of curiosity, what does a meat pigeon sell for?
It’s actually one of my favourite meats, in the Uk the stores a
have pigeon available, that’s nice!
Old 01-09-2021, 02:39 PM

Check t&t market in Calgary. They should carry squab.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGrohms View Post
There are King pigeons and then there was Pigeon King. Hard to believe a major scam could involve pigeons.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/05/m...ok-canada.html

Grizz
Old 01-09-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post
So I am currently looking for a new pup to replace my old lab who went on ahead without me last year. In prep to training a new dog as well as for something to do out of hunting season i would like to establish a loft of pigeons. Does anyone have a few for sale or know where i could get a few? I see a few adds on kijiji but can just imagine a resourceful young fella selling a box of feral pigeons while laughing all the way home. (I know they are basically the same in the way a field trial champ and the neighbors lab husky cross are the same)

Additionally if anyone knows of a litter of pudelpointers, gwp, or dd's from a breeder that they can reccomrnd i can offer it a great home where it will get used to hunt and trained lots with the advantage of a 12 year old boy that is only in the house to sleep and refuel.
HOME DEPOT
Old 01-10-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
There are King pigeons and then there was Pigeon King. Hard to believe a major scam could involve pigeons.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/05/m...ok-canada.html

Grizz
Yep I’ve read a few articles about that.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:59 AM

Homing Pigeon.png

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:58 PM

I remember getting a flyer in the mail with the advertisement for Pigeon King International on it.I marvelled with the quoted prices on the flyer for the birds and wondered how many dollars worth of pigeons had befallen before me over the years.Fortuanatly common sense prevailed