Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-07-2017, 06:38 PM

Default Which scope for Browning BLR?

Hi everyone,

Some of you saw that I bought a Browning BLR in 7-08 a couple of weeks ago. I had a great feedback from you guys and it helped to make a decision. (This was the thread).

I have mentioned in the thread that I was planning to put a scope on this gun and had one that would have to do for now. The scope I was talking about was offered to me by my cousin-in-law to borrow for as long as I needed it. Well, what he did not tell me is that the scope is 6-18x50! Needless to say, I didn't even bother looking at it.

Now I am looking for a scope. These are the scopes I was looking at:

Zeiss Terra 3x 2-7x42
Zeiss Terra 3x 3-9x42
Leupold VX-1 2-7x28
Leupold VX-2 1.5-4x28
Leupold VX-2 2-7x33
Leupold VX-1 3-9x50 (questionable, but is porbably best of all options in low light? but will probably look ugly as hell on the gun?)

What are your thoughts about it?

I am leaning towards either Zeiss 2-7 or Leupold 1.5-4.

I really like the set up some else posted in a recent thread (New rig setup, I think was the thread or something like this).

Also, if anyone knows is there is a great deal to be had somewhere, I am all ears

Thanks all!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:40 PM

Forgot to mention that if you guys have other ideas, I am open to them
Old 09-07-2017, 06:58 PM

I have a leupold vx111 3.5-10/40 on my 300wsm blr. It's good for way down south here but if I was hunting in more tree'd areas I would have went with something that offers a lower magnification. Depends on how far you planning on shooting. Farther distance and a higher zoom is preferred. If not going to be shooting farther then one with a lower magnification would be preferred
And ya a 50mm tube would look kind of gay on one.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:00 PM

I'd go for the vx-2 in either of the magnifications you mentioned. I've been using a Bushnell Elite in 2-7x on my main hunting rifle for over a decade now and its done everything that can really been asked of a scope. Good performance in rain, good in low light, its stood up to some pretty rough use, and there's plenty of magnification to take any shot I've needed too, quick target acquisition in the thick timber that I generally prefer hunting in.

That said the Elite is a fair bit heavyer that a Leupold vx2, and I can see the larger eye box being a nice feature, though I don't have any trouble with the shorter eye releif. Another good choice would be the Leupold ultra light series, not quite the same eye relief as the vx-2 but from everything I've read very good performance from a very light scope.

The last few years I've been playing around with the idea of using a fixed 4x, I would miss the lower magnification but I wonder if the consistant eye relief and sight picture, as well as the inability to leave it turned up accidently, might make up for that.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-07-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, looks like I also forgot to mention how far I am planning to shoot. I mentioned it in the other thread and I guess I assumed that everyone saw it and remembered

It is definitely mostly bush hunting and I doubt there will be shots made beyond 100-150 yards mark. Heck, make it 300 yards, which will probably not make much difference in selection.

I was thinking about a fixed magnification as well. But not really sure.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:57 PM

My old eyes were very happy when I finally mounted a 4x33 fixed Leupold, and it looks ‘right’ on my BLR.
I also have VERY nice 6x36 fixed Swarovski with a fine duplex that is nicer for 250m targets,
and a 6x36 Weaver K6 that was too good a bargain to pass.

The 4x33 has an 8mm exit pupil, and the 6x36 have 6mm, which is more than my old eye can use,
but does make for a bigger eye-box and easier target acquisition.
(A typical 3-9x40 will only have 4.4mm, and the 3-9x50 has 5.5mm which is less than a 6x36)

Fixed magnification scopes are smaller, and lighter, with fewer moving parts, and the optical design will have fewer compromises.
Good condition used, are often a VERY good bargain.

For your intended range a fixed 4x may be ideal and good ones can be found for <$100.
The old Bushnell Scopechief VI 4x32 was made in Japan, and is often inexpensive good value that is well worth trying.

Newer good quality fixed scopes will have better lens coatings.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:04 PM

A 2x7 glass would look very nice on the rifle. Just me, but I like scopes that seem to be right sized for the rifle.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:05 PM

Nikon Pro Staff 3-9 or 2-7

There are no absolutes
Old 09-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, looks like I also forgot to mention how far I am planning to shoot. I mentioned it in the other thread and I guess I assumed that everyone saw it and remembered

It is definitely mostly bush hunting and I doubt there will be shots made beyond 100-150 yards mark. Heck, make it 300 yards, which will probably not make much difference in selection.

I was thinking about a fixed magnification as well. But not really sure.
IMO the 1.5-4.5 for the distances you are talking about.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Banned

The VX-2 fit well on those rifles. You can use the low Leupold rings nicely.